COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Just now, roobob said:

Well it has not been 100% successful for doing so so...even before covid.

Well nothing is 100%

But since they are used Worldwide in Operating Theatres and have done for many years, I think they have proven to be effective in the reduction of infection. 

Don't forget Dental surgeons too

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Hahaha.....you try and laugh it off. So WHERE did you get the statistic that mask wearing reduces the risk of being infected up to 50% of the time? Or is that just some random number you tossed out there to make yourself seem smart?

That mask pictured is the very same mask that 10's of millions are wearing right now. You are so quick to jump on others who have a different point of view than you do, accompanied with the typical ridicule. But when confronted with evidence that calls into question what you believe to be true, you suddenly go for laughs to deflect.

But I'm curious as to where you got your information on masking. I suppose, if as you claim that wearing a mask reduces the chances of being infected by 50%, then wearing two masks would give you 100% protection on being infected?

I mean, I'm just following the science, right?

I like Mr Smooth, even though he has been vaxed he does not hide behind it and he is still willing to call a spade a spade to some of this covid madness.........

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Hahaha.....you try and laugh it off. So WHERE did you get the statistic that mask wearing reduces the risk of being infected up to 50% of the time? Or is that just some random number you tossed out there to make yourself seem smart?

That mask pictured is the very same mask that 10's of millions are wearing right now. You are so quick to jump on others who have a different point of view than you do, accompanied with the typical ridicule. But when confronted with evidence that calls into question what you believe to be true, you suddenly go for laughs to deflect.

But I'm curious as to where you got your information on masking. I suppose, if as you claim that wearing a mask reduces the chances of being infected by 50%, then wearing two masks would give you 100% protection on being infected?

I mean, I'm just following the science, right?

No, it's not my random number. It is a figure that was recently given by NHS England 

If you read my reply you where my sauces came from as, I listed them. 

I hardly think there is a conspiracy that the US or any other government  offers  China a monopoly of mask protection manufacturing. 

What you say is just one of the many excuses that anti-maskers use to justify themselves 

They wouldn't wear a mask if it were fucking gold plated and 100% effective

54 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

You have obviously been wearing the wrong  masks😅

But I am sure you know better than the experts

Ever wondered why Surgeons scrub up and wear a, surgical mask in an Operating Theatre before carrying out surgical procedures. 

You asked where I get my information from? 

3 Main sources

World Health Organisation

NHS England

British Government

So you went back to add more to this post than what I saw, which was only that first line at the top.

You do know of course that the type of mask that surgeons wear prior to an operation, are nothing like those masks that are available to the public masses that can be bought in a box of 50 for $10 USD, or about 12 euros or 14 pounds, right?

A surgeon's mask really does the job it's designed to do. The one's that we all wear......eh, not so much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Well nothing is 100%

But since they are used Worldwide in Operating Theatres and have done for many years, I think they have proven to be effective in the reduction of infection. 

Cheers

You are correct. Masks work to help stop the spread of Covid.

BS from naysayers does not.

. . .

Vaccines work well against the delta variant. Here’s why you should wear a mask anyway

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/vaccines-work-well-against-delta-variant-here-s-why-you-should-wear-mask-anyway

...“People who are infected shed a lot more virus,” she notes. “That makes it harder for the masks to work and means people should be wearing high-performance masks.”

According to Marr, N95 or KF94 masks are ideal if they’re available. Otherwise, using two masks — a surgical mask with a snugly fit cloth mask over it — is acceptable. Loose-fitting masks that leave gaps around the face, like surgical masks alone, are far less effective and are like having a hole in your mask, she added.

But when masks are worn appropriately, they’re extremely effective at protecting both the wearer and others...

. . .

Effectiveness of Mask Wearing to Control Community Spread of SARS-CoV-2

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

... When masks are worn and combined with other recommended mitigation measures, they protect not only the wearer but also the greater community. Recommendations for masks will likely change as more is learned about various mask types and as the pandemic evolves. With the emergence of more transmissible SARS-CoV-2 variants, it is even more important to adopt widespread mask wearing as well as to redouble efforts with use of all other nonpharmaceutical prevention measures until effective levels of vaccination are achieved nationally.

. . .

Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread, large-scale study shows
Researchers found that surgical masks impede the spread of COVID-19 and that just a few, low-cost interventions increase mask-wearing compliance.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

Edited by lazarus

7 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Well nothing is 100%

Cheers

Well I have no doubt masks do work very well to stop tooth dust when drilling teeth.....And for surgeons to not get blood in their mouth.......But even the mask makers say masks don't work for viruses...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fforest said:

I like Mr Smooth, even though he has been vaxed he does not hide behind it and he is still willing to call a spade a spade to some of this covid madness.........

So you don't like people generally who have been vaccinated? 😁😁

Do you have many friends? 

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Now where do you get this information from? I think this masking up is a crock. You think none of the millions who have died from Covid didn't wear masks? Of course they were wearing them, as they were told to to stop the spread or in order to enter a public place.

But the masks we are all wearing, in overwhelming numbers, really don't do anything. I had to wear a mask at my job for the last 6 months before retiring. That same mask is being worn by millions of people all over the world, and they are all made in China. And when I opened the box these masks were packed in while still an employee, and read the message included not just on the outside of the box from where they came, but inside as well under the plastic wrap the masks were all stacked inside! What I wonder is why no media outlet has ever brought this to light before?

You claim wearing these masks can stop the spread of being infected with Covid by up to 50%, but the very notification that came attached to the packaging of the masks themselves, tell a much different story.

20211202_170934.jpg

20200728_000641.jpg

Slick, the mask pictured is a surgical mask.

It is NOT to protect you.

It is to protect others from YOUR snot and spittle.

This is why surgeons wear them, to protect the patient not themselves.

If you wanted to protect yourself you'd be wearing an N95 (KN95, FP2 etc) mask.

These masks filter out 95% of particulate matter down to 0.1 microns which includes Corona viruses.

Cue the roob.. complaining that they are useless because they don't filter out 100%.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fygjam said:

These masks filter out 95% of particulate matter down to 0.1 microns which includes Corona viruses.

Cue the roob.. complaining that they are useless because they don't filter out 100%.

Yep. 

I have some N95 masks that I got on Amazon. Not that expensive either. I am sure that even Mr, Smooth could afford one 😁

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Well, if you have a habit of spraying snot and spittle at another person while engaged in conversation with you, then maybe you have bigger problems to deal with. I don't spit and blow snot on people when conversing, although with a woman, playing some tonsil hockey and swapping spit does occasionally take place.

Hmm....maybe to be really, really careful and increase prevention of the spread of Covid, we can just halt all personal interaction of a physical kind with the opposite sex, especially when engaged with bodily fluids being mixed and matched. I mean, you have saliva, perspiration, and other bodily excretions. Of course with Thailand having been closed up for the better part of two years, some of our bm's haven't had to concern themselves with such banalities.

Here is a link that explains much of the mask debate.  As I already mentioned, the masks that are being used by the 10's of millions, and not those that are considered an upgrade to surgical level quality masks, have limited ability to protect from the Covid virus, and, in fact, take the CDC to task for their study of mask wearing and how really effective it is on it's own. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

So you went back to add more to this post than what I saw, which was only that first line at the top.

You do know of course that the type of mask that surgeons wear prior to an operation, are nothing like those masks that are available to the public masses that can be bought in a box of 50 for $10 USD, or about 12 euros or 14 pounds, right?

A surgeon's mask really does the job it's designed to do. The one's that we all wear......eh, not so much.

These are the ones we use, made in Germany I think. 
They aren’t cheap, but it’s a choice of mask we made 2 years ago. 
We wear them all the time we are with other people and my son wears one all the time at school. 
Wearing a mask doesn’t bother us in the slightest. 👌

2CD9B3AB-D3B9-4217-8174-54AF8956527B.jpeg

9A5784DC-6C88-49EB-9A70-1E85DC1CAA2D.jpeg

D47E279D-5C91-4F91-856A-D131C2FF726F.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Well, if you have a habit of spraying snot and spittle at another person while engaged in conversation with you, then maybe you have bigger problems to deal with. I don't spit and blow snot on people when conversing, although with a woman, playing some tonsil hockey and swapping spit does occasionally take place.

Hmm....maybe to be really, really careful and increase prevention of the spread of Covid, we can just halt all personal interaction of a physical kind with the opposite sex, especially when engaged with bodily fluids being mixed and matched. I mean, you have saliva, perspiration, and other bodily excretions. Of course with Thailand having been closed up for the better part of two years, some of our bm's haven't had to concern themselves with such banalities.

Here is a link that explains much of the mask debate.  As I already mentioned, the masks that are being used by the 10's of millions, and not those that are considered an upgrade to surgical level quality masks, have limited ability to protect from the Covid virus, and, in fact, take the CDC to task for their study of mask wearing and how really effective it is on it's own. 

First published April 1st 2020 (18 months ago) 

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

First published April 1st 2020 (18 months ago) 

And....what do you take issue with in the article? Why don't you quit dancing around and trying to be cute with your replies to something I post? Read the article, and if there is something you disagree about it, then say so, instead of these namby pamby replies.

What do you take issue with and we can hash it out.

Even those with mild Covid symptoms, develop a cough, sneezing and increase in mucus production. 

A person who has mild symptoms may feel well enough to carry on going to work, go shopping etc. Most would get a test or self test at that stage and make a decision as to whether they are going to isolate, to prevent the possibility of spreading the Virus or ignore it and carry on as normal. 

Unfortunately, if they chose the latter, the person/s that they might infect, may have far more extreme symptoms, even life threatening. 

Masks greatly reduce the speed and travel of droplets that are emitted when coughing and sneezing. 

No one is claiming that masks alone offer 100% protection

No one is claiming that vaccines off 100% protection

But in combination, are far more effective against Covid than not using either. 

If course, self isolation is probably the best way to curve the spread, for those who have tested positive but are asymptomatic and of course those who display symptoms. 

I think that there are still quite a few people actually do not care or consider the welfare of others, but themselves, and probably some who would actively want to spread the virus to others. It is a sad fact that not everyone is capable of exercising Social Responsibility whilst at the same time use any excuse they can find to justify themselves. Up to the point if they become very ill and end up in ICU. By then it is sometimes too late, for a change of heart. 

Until there are ways of eliminating either the Virus and its variants, or greatly reduce the risks of hospitalisation and deaths, then we have to use all the tools available to us at any given time. 

None of us want lockdowns, but if elements of society cannot be trusted to excercise Social Responsibility and work collectively, then they become more likely as a more drastic resort. 

Whilst current measures may not be 100% effective, they are still a great deal more effective than doing nothing. Therefore it is obviously prudent to continue with the tools that work, ie testing, nose and mouth protection, vaccination, self isolation and a fair degree of good old common sense. 

We all want this destructive Pandemic to be over, and as soon as possible but it is no use simply relying on Science alone or Political decisions. Its up to us as people to play our part. 

There are elements of society that will reject any form of proactivity, no matter what advancements are made, yet will to take horse worming medication and snake oil because it is or was being pushed on certain Social Media sites, by antivax influences. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

And....what do you take issue with in the article? Why don't you quit dancing around and trying to be cute with your replies to something I post? Read the article, and if there is something you disagree about it, then say so, instead of these namby pamby replies.

What do you take issue with and we can hash it out.

I read the article in full and it clearly states that they are still in favour of mask protection. Sorry if you don't like my replies, but that is the nature of discussion and debate. 

I take issue with any statement which suggests that masks are useless or that try to encourage people not to use them. It's quite simple. I see no point in arguing for the sake of argument. That gives me no pleasure

For those who do not believe that the masks they have are effective, then do a simple bit of research into different types of mask and go out and buy some or order online, better still and stop looking for excuses. It's common sense. 

I would not buy an umbrella if it had holes in it 🙄

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Even those with mild Covid symptoms, develop a cough, sneezing and increase in mucus production. 

A person who has mild symptoms may feel well enough to carry on going to work, go shopping etc. Most would get a test or self test at that stage and make a decision as to whether they are going to isolate, to prevent the possibility of spreading the Virus or ignore it and carry on as normal. 

Unfortunately, if they chose the latter, the person/s that they might infect, may have far more extreme symptoms, even life threatening. 

Masks greatly reduce the speed and travel of droplets that are emitted when coughing and sneezing. 

No one is claiming that masks alone offer 100% protection

No one is claiming that vaccines off 100% protection

But in combination, are far more effective against Covid than not using either. 

If course, self isolation is probably the best way to curve the spread, for those who have tested positive but are asymptomatic and of course those who display symptoms. 

I think that there are still quite a few people actually do not care or consider the welfare of others, but themselves, and probably some who would actively want to spread the virus to others. It is a sad fact that not everyone is capable of exercising Social Responsibility whilst at the same time use any excuse they can find to justify themselves. Up to the point if they become very ill and end up in ICU. By then it is sometimes too late, for a change of heart. 

Until there are ways of eliminating either the Virus and its variants, or greatly reduce the risks of hospitalisation and deaths, then we have to use all the tools available to us at any given time. 

None of us want lockdowns, but if elements of society cannot be trusted to excercise Social Responsibility and work collectively, then they become more likely as a more drastic resort. 

Whilst current measures may not be 100% effective, they are still a great deal more effective than doing nothing. Therefore it is obviously prudent to continue with the tools that work, ie testing, nose and mouth protection, vaccination, self isolation and a fair degree of good old common sense. 

We all want this destructive Pandemic to be over, and as soon as possible but it is no use simply relying on Science alone or Political decisions. Its up to us as people to play our part. 

Dear  oh dear..... you seem to live life on... mays.....ifs....mights....maybes..... what a sad and negative way to live your life with the continual fear factor hanging over your head.... it cannot be good for your health.

It is clear that it is time to open up...live with the virus and get on with our lives.... get outside in the sunshine...get children back to school socialising and interacting with other children..... get out and about...open up travel....etc...etc.

Life is meant to be lived...not restricted by power crazy politicians, bureaucrats and governments.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, roobob said:

Dear  oh dear..... you seem to live life on... mays.....ifs....mights....maybes..... what a sad and negative way to live your life with the continual fear factor hanging over your head.... it cannot be good for your health.

It is clear that it is time to open up...live with the virus and get on with our lives.... get outside in the sunshine...get children back to school socialising and interacting with other children..... get out nd about...open up travel....etc...etc.

Life is meant to be lived...not restricted by power crazy politicians, bureaucrats and governments.

cheers

Not so easy to get on with your life when you are dead, (as long at is not you). 

You forget, that one of the human traits is also self preservation, found too in most animals and life forms. 

I am sure that during WW2, most people wanted to get on with their lives, but it was not possible to enjoy the same freedoms as they before hand. Maybe we should have just lived with the Nazis and accepted the prospect of being taken over?🙄🙄🙄

We are under attract from an enemy that we can't see.and has a major advantage over us. Its called Covid 19.

Fight it and we may eventually win. Do nothing and we lose. 

The last few generations have been dining out on an oincreased sense of "entitlement" during those years. 

Cheers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I read the article in full and it clearly states that they are still in favour of mask protection. Sorry if you don't like my replies, but that is the nature of discussion and debate. 

I take issue with any statement which suggests that masks are useless or that try to encourage people not to use them. It's quite simple. I see no point in arguing for the sake of argument. That gives me no pleasure

For those who do not believe that the masks they have are effective, then do a simple bit of research into different types of mask and go out and buy some or order online, better still and stop looking for excuses. It's common sense. 

I would not buy an umbrella if it had holes in it 🙄

So I guess you would take issue with Fauci for what he was saying here, back when he had the ear of Trump and the public in general, before becoming the insatiable media whore that he's been for over the last year, doing whatever song and dance he could depending on the narrative.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

So I guess you would take issue with Fauci

No, not at all, that was in 2020 

We are in 2021,18 months down the road from then

Fauci isn't God and I am not in a position to take issue with him. 

I am interested in November, December, January, February etc of 2021/22 and where we are now. 

Confronting Covid 19 has been a learning process for Scientist, Virologist, Doctors, Politicians and the General public. 

Without wish to veer into Political discussion about Covid (for which a Topic exists), weren't the American people told by their leader, that Covid was nothing to be alarmed about and that it would simply disappear within a couple of months? That wasn't true either and not based on any science, fact or knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

21 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Not so easy to get on with your life when you are dead, (as long at is not you). 

You forget, that one of the human traits is also self preservation, found too in most animals and life forms. 

I am sure that during WW2, most people wanted to get on with their lives, but it was not possible to enjoy the same freedoms as they before hand. Maybe we should have just lived with the Nazis and accepted the prospect of being taken over?🙄🙄🙄

We are under attract from an enemy that we can't see.and has a major advantage over us. Its called Covid 19.

Fight it and we may eventually win. Do nothing and we lose. 

The last few generations have been dining out on an oincreased sense of "entitlement" during those years. 

Cheers

There you go again....now you are thinking of dying....why??

Please get serious..... this is nothing like what happened in World War 2....silly comparison......we are now in a situation of living with a new virus....that's all...there are no bombs being dropped...no naval sea battles....no new  Battle of Britain or Pearl Habour going on....no beach landings...... goodness it is just a virus so it is not the end of the world like some are making it out to be.

You keep going on about trusting the scientists...the medical people and doing what they say. It seems you have and what has it got you...near next to nothing. ....... all you have is living under more restrictions which have been going on for near over two years and there is no sight when it all will end.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, roobob said:

There you go again....now you are thinking of dying....why??

Please get serious..... this is nothing like what happened in World War 2....stupid comparison......we are now in a situation of living with a new virus....that's all...there are no bombs being dropped...no naval sea battles....no new  Battle of Britain or Pearl Habour going on....no beach landings...... goodness it is just a virus so it is not the end of the world like some are making it out to be.

You keep going on about trusting the scientists...the medical people and doing what they say. It seems you have and what has it got you...near next to nothing. ....... all you have is living under more restrictions which have been going on for near over two years and there is no sight when it all will end.

cheers

Wrong. My only thoughts on dying are that of arrangements for when the time comes, and which comes to us all soon or later. I actually want to live as long as is physically possible unless perhaps I end up in some awful vegetive state or in permanent acute pain. But I am thinking about ways to achieve that, and thinking about the lives of others rather than just myself. 

The similarity between war and the Virus, is that we are under attack. We have a choice of either defending ourselves or lay down and surrender. 

In war time, it was the collective attitude and determination of the people and their politicians that brought people together. 

Covid effects ever single one of us in one way or another and none of it is good. But it could be a lot worse. 

We all want to travel again, we all want to go back to how it was before C19. We all want the same thing, but how we get to that point is a very different matter. 

Neither you or I have the ability to change anything. We can only do what we think is right 

But without science and technology we would still be living in the dark ages

Cheers

• Like 2