COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Just now, Stillearly said:

I still think we ( everyone) should be testing Chinese on arrival ... they probably will once it's too late again 

I really dont see how it will make a difference,  if we didn't have covid then fair enough,  but we do and it's everywhere. 

Virtually everyone in my home town has had it over the past month.

Not going away anytime soon.

Get vaccinated. 

54 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I really dont see how it will make a difference,  if we didn't have covid then fair enough,  but we do and it's everywhere. 

What seems to be concerning people is the prospect that the Chinese are carrying a new variant.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Enough that China stopped publishing the numbers. That in itself should be a big concern.

Not to understate the potential downside of China's recent policy changes, no one (in any country) really knows the current extent of Covid anymore except for confirmed 'official' tests and/or documented hospitalizations. Most people either test at home and don't report a positive, or become ill and don't test at all. Then there's an unknown number of asymptomatic people circulating as if nothing is wrong.

If the future threat (or not) of Covid hinges on the rise of a virulent variant that defies vaccines I think that tracking cases should be a big concern globally. Beefing up the public health message that 'personal responsibility' is crucial to the ongoing Covid fight is more critical than ever.

Of course, China's been the Covid punching bag all along. No reason for that to change now. Personally, I'm just going to avoid Chinese tourists although this is problematic where I live as 25 percent of the population is Chinese. 

Edited by lazarus
@@

Some reading for up-to-date context...

. . .

Is COVID a Common Cold Yet?
Its symptoms have changed a lot.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/12/covid-common-cold-status-differentiation/672472/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

..."... nearly three years into the crisis, the virus is more familiar, and its symptoms are too. Put three sick people in the same room this winter—one with COVID, another with a common cold, and the third with the flu—and “it’s way harder to tell the difference,” Chavez told me. Today’s most common COVID symptoms are mundane: sore throat, runny nose, congestion, sneezing, coughing, headache. And several of the wonkier ones that once hogged headlines have become rare. More people are weathering their infections with their taste and smell intact; many can no longer remember when they last considered the scourge of “COVID toes.” Even fever, a former COVID classic, no longer cracks the top-20 list from the ZOE Health Study, a long-standing symptom-tracking project based in the United Kingdom, according to Tim Spector, an epidemiologist at King’s College London who heads the project. Longer, weirder, more serious illness still manifests, but for most people, SARS-CoV-2’s symptoms are getting “pretty close to other viruses’, and I think that’s reassuring,” Spector told me. “We are moving toward a cold-like illness.” ...

... "... For now, researchers don’t know whether we’re nearing the COVID-severity plateau, and they’re worried it will get only more difficult to tell. Maybe it’s for the best if the mildness asymptote is a ways off. In the U.S. and elsewhere, subvariants are still swirling, bivalent-shot uptake is still stalling, and hospitalizations are once more creeping upward (link blow) as SARS-CoV-2 plays human musical chairs with RSV and flu. Abroad, inequities in vaccine access and quality—and a zero-COVID policy in China that stuck around too long (link below)—have left gaping immunity gaps. To settle into symptom stasis with this many daily deaths, this many off-season waves, this much long COVID, and this pace of viral evolution would be grim. “I don’t think we’re quite there yet,” Gordon told me. “I hope we’re not there yet.”

. . .

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Another COVID Surge
Once again, our pandemic numbers are creeping in the wrong direction.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/12/covid-us-new-cases-winter-surge/672415/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

China’s COVID Wave Is Coming
The world’s most populous nation is being forced onto a zero-COVID off-ramp.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/12/china-zero-covid-wave-immunity-vaccines/672375/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

• Great Info 1

26 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Is COVID a Common Cold Yet?
Its symptoms have changed a lot.

Don't think so.

308 deaths (in Australia) due to influenza during 2022 as notified to the global influenza surveillance system.

256 deaths due to Covid for the week ending 23rd December and deaths are on the rise.

I think we might have learned from the past couple of years that restricting personal travel doesn't stop the spread of the virus.

We need to be relying on vaccine strategy/herd immunity/weaker variants to prevent overloading our health services and reducing the severity of any individual infected.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bazle said:

What seems to be concerning people is the prospect that the Chinese are carrying a new variant.

That would be my concern also. 

Whilst Covid 19 is still very much alive  we have seen the devastating effect it has had across the Globe both in human casualties and economic disaster for businesses and the Global economy  which may take years for recovery 

Can the world afford a new surge of infection, not knowing what the impact might be.

Whatever we may think, Governments will make their decisions but hopefully the same mistakes of the past will not be repeated. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ministry of Public Health looks set to propose reviving Covid-19 screening measures for international travellers, with extra steps for those from China, as the latter reopens its borders.

Health ministry officials worked out their proposal at a meeting on Thursday and plan to discuss it with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Transport on Jan 5, said Dr Chakrarat Pittayawonganon, chief of the Division of Epidemiology.

“All international arrivals must have a record of receiving at least two shots of the Covid-19 vaccine, while all international travellers arriving in Thailand from China have to have a health insurance package that fully covers Covid-19 treatment,” Dr Chakrarat said, referring to the proposals.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2472290/curbs-likely-for-chinese-arrivals

So it looks likely that we are ALL going to have to prove being vaccinated again quite soon.

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

UK requiring proof of negative testing from 5 January....so how many will be in the UK by then?

Fer fcuks sake if yer gonna do it then do it properly,wankers!

Same same USA.

On Wednesday, the US said a lack of "adequate and transparent" Covid data in China had contributed to the decision to require Covid tests from 5 January for travellers entering the country from China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Covid in China: US imposes Covid testing for visitors from China - BBC News