COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

This is a speech by a British MP in the House of Commons. It is well worth watching.

I wonder what the figures say about how many lives the vaccine has saved from people getting covid?

Looks like the guy was talking to himself and a few mates in there. Lol

The guy in the corner must still be coining it in on his YouTube channel too I guess. Can't be much left for him to talk about methinks. 

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, boydeste said:

I wonder what the figures say about how many lives the vaccine has saved from people getting covid?

Looks like the guy was talking to himself and a few mates in there. Lol

The guy in the corner must still be coining it in on his YouTube channel too I guess. Can't be much left for him to talk about methinks. 

The guy is a knob. And, I didn't even watch the vid.    lol

Here is an interesting vid talking about China and the potential for what may happen there now that things are "opening up". I have also come across other reports and credible sources that mirror similar concerns and potential developments.

China appears to have a massive wave of Covid which has increased since they relaxed some if their lockdown procedures in some provinces. It's thought that at least 60 percent of the population are infected. 

Covid hasn't gone away,it's just become concentrated geographically 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

China appears to have a massive wave of Covid which has increased since they relaxed some if their lockdown procedures in some provinces. It's thought that at least 60 percent of the population are infected. 

Covid hasn't gone away,it's just become concentrated geographically 

Yep. I have been doing research on where a farang can get a booster over here. Turning out to not be as easy as I thought it might be.

No telling regarding what you mentioned on what the impact will be from what will be coming out of China the next few months.

I remember during the peak of covid.... I had a condo at the time where I could view the Chiang Mai airport runway lights. It was very rare occasion seeing a flight arriving. Now the flights are pouring in. I am wondering now how many of those incoming flights are packed with folks from north of the border (many of them infected). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

... I am wondering now how many of those incoming flights are packed with folks from north of the border (many of them infected). 

It's baaack...

I'd also wonder about all the tourists -- especially the ones from all over the US. There's going to be a full blown surge after the holidays.

. . .

Oakland reinstates mask mandate in government buildings amid surging COVID
https://www.sfchronicle.com/eastbay/article/Oakland-reinstates-mask-mandate-in-government-17668056.php

Oakland will require all employees and visitors to wear a face mask when entering city facilities beginning immediately — an attempt to get a handle on the “tripledemic” hitting the Bay Area of COVID, flu and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV...

N.J. school district reinstates mask mandate as COVID cases rise
https://www.nj.com/education/2022/12/nj-school-district-reinstates-mask-mandate-as-covid-cases-rise.html

One of New Jersey’s largest public school districts is requiring masks starting Wednesday due to rising COVID-19 cases.

Passaic Public Schools has 17 schools, including Passaic High School, and enrolls approximately 14,000 students.

Superintendent Sandra M. Diodonet told parents on Tuesday that, under a school board policy, masks are required “during periods of a High Activity Level” of COVID-19 as documented by the state health department...

Genesis reinstates mask mandate for employees, volunteers
https://www.kwqc.com/2022/12/20/genesis-reinstates-mask-mandate-employees-volunteers/

DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) - Genesis Health System reinstated the mask mandate Monday for all Genesis colleagues, medical staff, and volunteers.

“Due to increased COVID-19 activity, a surge in influenza, ongoing RSV, and an increase in staff illnesses, we have re-instituted the mask mandate for staff to help keep our Genesis workforce and patients healthy,” said Kurt Andersen, M.D., Chief Clinical Officer/Chief Medical Officer, Genesis Health System.

. . .

And if that isn't bad enough...

U.S. officials worry about prospect of China outbreak spawning new virus mutations
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/covid-in-california-updates-17667888.php

The United States is concerned China’s runaway COVID-19 outbreak might spawn new mutations of the virus as Beijing continues to grapple with its lifting of strict  “COVID Zero” constraints that had kept the pandemic at bay, the State Department says. “When it comes to the current outbreak in China, we want to see this addressed,” State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters. “We know that anytime the virus is spreading in the wild that it has the potential to mutate and to pose a threat to people everywhere.” China is seeing a wave of infections amid growing concerns the government may be hiding the true toll of the virus after years of insisting that the Communist Party had  skillfully dealth with the virus, more so than the West. Spokesman Liu Pengyu at China's U.S. embassy told Bloomberg News on Monday that China has adopted “scientific and precise prevention and control measures” to minimize the impact of the virus on China’s population and economy.

Thailand has stopped reporting infection rates, but local scuttlebutt is there are quite a few coming down with the latest flavor of Covid. It would be nice to have hard data, but I'm guessing with the Covid symptoms being relatively mild for most the surge we're seeing is nothing more than the annual flu season surge and nothing to get worked up over, unless you're in an at risk category.

One data point is my lady who tested positive and was sick for a few days about three weeks ago. Symptoms were mild, and the two AZ shots she had early last year probably had nothing to do with the mild symptoms, it's just the current variant is easily dealt with by our body's own immune system.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Thailand has stopped reporting infection rates, but local scuttlebutt is there are quite a few coming down with the latest flavor of Covid. It would be nice to have hard data, but I'm guessing with the Covid symptoms being relatively mild for most the surge we're seeing is nothing more than the annual flu season surge and nothing to get worked up over, unless you're in an at risk category.

One data point is my lady who tested positive and was sick for a few days about three weeks ago. Symptoms were mild, and the two AZ shots she had early last year probably had nothing to do with the mild symptoms, it's just the current variant is easily dealt with by our body's own immune system.

My wife is not happy about the locals not reporting the infection rates....she wrote someone on Social Media supposedly where you can tell "some official" in the Gov't about problems like this. I do not have to say it...but.......you know no one is going to read this at all. 

I got to give it up to wifey, we ALL bash Thailand at times, myself included about things here, she cuts her own country no slack either, when she feels the Gov't is not on top of things. But....I can tell you first hand, that when she feels people are basing Thailand and they are clearly wrong, you do not want to deal with her......believe me. 

She like most of us, are now concerned that with the current outbreak in China, she is now in worry mode again. She has had 5 shots, I have had 4. I told her to relax.....use common sense, we can't live our life in fear anymore. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Madness to let them in  and for China to let them out. 

I do hope that the Thai authorities put health before economics now when it comes to Chinese visitors. If not, I think they will regret it and no one wants to see lock down again. 

Sure I feel for the Chinese population having been in isolation for so long, but traveling abroad is another matter. 

It is the responsibility of the Chinese government to confine the virus. Surely that lesson has been learned already? Perhaps not.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

My first thought was it would be good if countries would put in place a trigger that when another country crosses N number of infectious cases, they close their borders to the country with the high number of infections.

My next thought was it would never work. Case in point is China. When the number of infections started skyrocketing they simply stopped publishing the number of infections. And if a country doesn't stop publishing numbers, then there's a good chance they'll undercount.

• Thumbs Up 1

US to require travelers from China to show negative Covid-19 test result before flight

The United States will require all travelers from China to show a negative Covid-19 test result before flying to the country as Beijing’s rapid easing of Covid-19 restrictions leads to a surge in cases.

Passengers flying to the US from China will need to get a test no more than two days before flying, federal health officials said, and present proof of the negative test to their airline before boarding.

The tests can be either a PCR test or an antigen self-test administered through a telehealth service.

The requirement will apply both to passengers flying directly to the United States from China as well to passengers flying through popular third-country gateways, including Seoul, Toronto and Vancouver.

Passengers who test positive more than 10 days before their flight can provide documentation of their recovery in lieu of a negative test result.

The new rules take effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on January 5.

American officials have expressed deep concerns about China’s lack of transparency surrounding the most recent surge in cases, particularly the absence of genome sequencing information that could help detect new strains of the coronavirus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading this recent report it's doubtful pre-departure screening will be enough to prevent an influx of new infections from China. This will be of greater concern if the sequencing they're doing reveals new variants.

Milan: 50% of passengers on flights from China have COVID. All arrivals will be tested.

Italian health authorities will begin testing all arrivals from China for Covid after almost half of the passengers on two flights to Milan were found to have the virus. 

They are also sequencing the Milan tests to see if there are new variants, the Health Ministry said in a statement. If a new strain is found, officials may impose stricter curbs on travel from the country. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:18 AM, Yessongs said:

My wife is not happy about the locals not reporting the infection rates....she wrote someone on Social Media supposedly where you can tell "some official" in the Gov't about problems like this. I do not have to say it...but.......you know no one is going to read this at all. 

I got to give it up to wifey, we ALL bash Thailand at times, myself included about things here, she cuts her own country no slack either, when she feels the Gov't is not on top of things. But....I can tell you first hand, that when she feels people are basing Thailand and they are clearly wrong, you do not want to deal with her......believe me. 

She like most of us, are now concerned that with the current outbreak in China, she is now in worry mode again. She has had 5 shots, I have had 4. I told her to relax.....use common sense, we can't live our life in fear anymore. 

Common sense is the key. Another is balance. Both can be difficult to find when looking at the big picture. 

I tend to operate more on the cautious side of things, especially as I get older. I also measure a number of various sources when weighing out factors (different media sources, personal observations, etc.).

Credible information coming out of China suggests things are getting ugly there. How significant the impact will be elsewhere is still unforeseen. The main concern (selfishly) is the drain and demand on the health system. 

The issue with China/Thailand is the proximity. If the problems within China continue to escalate as they are, and the country continues to stay "open" (which there is no indication that will change). Then there could be a influx of infected folks and/or those who just want to be near available health care. Thailand could soon find itself in a major dilemma soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Reading this recent report it's doubtful pre-departure screening will be enough to prevent an influx of new infections from China. This will be of greater concern if the sequencing they're doing reveals new variants.

Milan: 50% of passengers on flights from China have COVID. All arrivals will be tested.

Italian health authorities will begin testing all arrivals from China for Covid after almost half of the passengers on two flights to Milan were found to have the virus. 

They are also sequencing the Milan tests to see if there are new variants, the Health Ministry said in a statement. If a new strain is found, officials may impose stricter curbs on travel from the country. 

Yep. Something I foresaw a while back. 

No doubt we will soon be hearing more reports like this one.

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A PCR test does not test for "whole" virus. It tests for small fragments of the viral genome which are unique to a particular virus and variant. For SARS-CoV-2 most tests test for 3 or 4 specific fragments.

The Delta variant, as I recall, was first identified because one of the fragments being tested for went "dark". A mutation had nobbled one of the fragments being tested for and it no longer showed positive.

Thus it is possible that with sufficient mutations a variant could become undetectable, at least until the PCR tests are updated.

A population with a large number of infections is the ideal condition for a large number of mutations and thus new variants.

• Great Info 2

15 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

U.K. has decided to do fcuk all following this ... here comes another Covid spike ...

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 2