COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

18 hours ago, galenkia said:

Some of our amazing NHS staff who have died from the virus. 

RIP

_111758713_nhs_staff-promo_976-nc.png

Remember the guy in the top left picture when he was just a medical student.

Rented a room from Rigsby in Rising Damp.

Edited by KWA
  • Like 2

A podcast from one of what I consider, a reliable source. Vincent Racaniello, professor of Virology al Columbia University. I posted a link to his virology lectures in post #1315.

He also hosts a weekly podcast "This Week In Virology" or TWIV. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

The current podcast (#600) features a sitrep from Dr Daniel Griffin, currently a front line doctor in a New York hospital.

A few bits that I can remember to pique your interest. I'm going to have to listen to it again myself.

• NY hospitals running short/out of oxygen.
  • when to administer steroids.
  • double blind trial of Hydroxychloroquine being put together.
  • various immune system markers as indicators of likely outcome including Interleukin 6. The role of Interleukin 6 (it's bad) may be of interest to the "no pain, no gain" exercise crowd because it is released during intense exercise. High levels of Interleukin 6 have been associated with less than desirable Covid-19 outcomes, the patient died.

Anyway here's the Youtube of the podcast, no moving pictures only audio.

The Griffin sitrep begins at about 01:00 after the introductions and goes for about 30 minutes.

The takeaway is do NOT require intensive care for Covid-19.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

Hydroxychloroquine until a few weeks ago was available to buy over the counter here.  i think mostly sold out now, no surprise, but it was very cheap.  "some" are taking without symptoms as its supposed to be a bit of a preventative as well as a cure.  interesting as it was a maleria pill with of course similar content to the original "indian tonic water" drunk with gin.  they taste bloody awful btw

47 minutes ago, fygjam said:

A podcast from one of what I consider, a reliable source. Vincent Racaniello, professor of Virology al Columbia University. I posted a link to his virology lectures in post #1315.

He also hosts a weekly podcast "This Week In Virology" or TWIV. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

The current podcast (#600) features a sitrep from Dr Daniel Griffin, currently a front line doctor in a New York hospital.

A few bits that I can remember to pique your interest. I'm going to have to listen to it again myself.

• various immune system markers as indicators of likely outcome including Interleukin 6. The role of Interleukin 6 (it's bad) may be of interest to the "no pain, no gain" exercise crowd because it is released during intense exercise. High levels of Interleukin 6 have been associated with less than desirable Covid-19 outcomes, the patient died.

The Griffin sitrep begins at about 01:00 after the introductions and goes for about 30 minutes.

briiliant info thank you

Bit of a variance in Europe, Spain eases lockdown a tad, allows some non essential workers like in factories and construction to go back to work from today.

Italy extends their lockdown as it is until May. 

Edit - Italy easing ever so slightly as well -

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said last week that the lockdown would continue until 3 May, but that a few types of shops and businesses would be allowed to reopen on Tuesday. They would include bookshops, stationers and shops selling children's clothes, he said.

Factories will not reopen, although Mr Conte said he would continue to assess the trend of new infections and "act accordingly" if conditions allowed it.

Edited by Krapow

Not good!

China focuses on 'imported' cases

0a6a3cd5-5b01-49ee-97bd-4ff854bd8ad5.png

Robin Brant

BBC News, Shanghai

Imported cases have been China’s focus for several weeks now. It believes the main threat now to be people bringing the virus back to the country.

Most of these people are Chinese returning home. The arc of China’s efforts to tackle, contain and end the outbreak went like this: local officials knew about an emerging outbreak but didn’t act; the national government imposed a draconian lockdown of Wuhan; China imposed domestic travel restrictions but insisted that international travel to and from China should not be cut; the virus spread abroad; China believed it had successfully contained the outbreak then switched its focus to people bringing it back here from abroad.

Something like a cat and mouse chase has emerged - despite drastically reducing international flights into China, barring any direct arrivals into Beijing and insisting that passengers now undergo strict quarantine, people found a weak point.

The usually obscure land crossing between Russia and China in the northern province of Heilongjiang has seen a persistent cluster of travellers bringing the virus with them. New ‘imported’ cases there are almost all Chinese coming home. And they appear to be spreading it. The latest official figures reveal 10 new domestic cases, seven of which are in Heilongjiang, home to that land crossing.

28 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

briiliant info thank you

Yeah. I listened again.

Horrifying the bit about thrombosis. Blood clots as big as hot dogs to micro clots obstructing blood flow to liver and kidneys causing organ failure.

It's not like the flu.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

IL6 seems to be pivotal

39 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Not good!

China focuses on 'imported' cases

0a6a3cd5-5b01-49ee-97bd-4ff854bd8ad5.png

Robin Brant

BBC News, Shanghai

Imported cases have been China’s focus for several weeks now. It believes the main threat now to be people bringing the virus back to the country.

Most of these people are Chinese returning home. The arc of China’s efforts to tackle, contain and end the outbreak went like this: local officials knew about an emerging outbreak but didn’t act; the national government imposed a draconian lockdown of Wuhan; China imposed domestic travel restrictions but insisted that international travel to and from China should not be cut; the virus spread abroad; China believed it had successfully contained the outbreak then switched its focus to people bringing it back here from abroad.

Something like a cat and mouse chase has emerged - despite drastically reducing international flights into China, barring any direct arrivals into Beijing and insisting that passengers now undergo strict quarantine, people found a weak point.

The usually obscure land crossing between Russia and China in the northern province of Heilongjiang has seen a persistent cluster of travellers bringing the virus with them. New ‘imported’ cases there are almost all Chinese coming home. And they appear to be spreading it. The latest official figures reveal 10 new domestic cases, seven of which are in Heilongjiang, home to that land crossing.

Just daft to let people travel so quickly whether coming home or not imo.

Also note that Russia is suddenly accelerating with cases of COVID19 so safe to say every country gets their turn sooner or later. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

IL6 seems to be pivotal

There was a story on one of the TV news last night about a Queensland company trying to develop an IL6 skin patch. Apparently IL6 can be detected in sweat. I assume for use in clinical situations so anti IL6 therapy can be commenced rather than waiting for a blood test.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

There was a story on one of the TV news last night about a Queensland company trying to develop an IL6 skin patch. Apparently IL6 can be detected in sweat. I assume for use in clinical situations so anti IL6 therapy can be commenced rather than waiting for a blood test.

all this additional stuff is fantastic...the issue of course is what is IL6 therapy?how viable is it ..how effective

looking at Stromectol...a shot in the dark 

15 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

IL6 seems to be pivotal

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

You're talking about the stuff released when working out, yea?

And it's bad, pivotal even, that's quite scary to people like myself who get a lot out of exercise, both mentally and physically and had thought/been made aware that it helps your immune system.

1 minute ago, Ivan the terrible said:

all this additional stuff is fantastic...the issue of course is what is IL6 therapy?how viable is it ..how effective

looking at Stromectol...a shot in the dark 

got offerered a BCG trial ...i declined...not sure if i did the right thing cause my cxr suggests i have had TB

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

You're talking about the stuff released when working out, yea?

And it's bad, pivotal even, that's quite scary to people like myself who get a lot out of exercise, both mentally and physically and had thought/been made aware that it helps your immune system.

I would stop workig out and invest in a sauna

1 minute ago, Ivan the terrible said:

I would stop workig out and invest in a sauna

Aye, I doubt i'd have the space nevermind the finance for one in my 2 bed apartment here in London lol.

In Northern Ireland, yes, large townhouse with huge garden, but alas, i'm in London.

I notice the phrase 'intense exercise', so maybe just curtail it a bit, more jogging and stuff. 

It's a balance, I could google and no doubt find various sources saying continue with exercise for mental and physical benefits also.

• Like 2