Snooker

coxyhog

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Great comeback from Williams.

Some of the commentary is verging on the ridiculous...."Outrageous courage" is not something one ever sees on a snooker table except in the eyes of some of these experts.

Considering he was 7-1 down in the first session, that was amazing.

Then again, you don't become a three times world champion without being a bit special.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, galenkia said:

Considering he was 7-1 down in the first session, that was amazing.

Then again, you don't become a three times world champion without being a bit special.

He had been playing a bit special all week and was my tip to win it all. Unfortunately tiredness caught up with him and he had the disastrous start. I missed the last session because I was travelling home. Must have been a great watch. A shame he didn't quite make it over the line, I hear he did get a chance which is all you can ask for in a decider.

• Like 1

What can you say about Ronnie? Just the purest talent ever, people from countries where snooker isn’t popular…..just don’t understand the level he has played at for 30 years now. Hope he  finishes off Trump  early tomorrow…..too bad about Williams, down 7-1 then leads 16-14……that stings

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

What can you say about Ronnie? Just the purest talent ever, people from countries where snooker isn’t popular…..just don’t understand the level he has played at for 30 years now. Hope he  finishes off Trump  early tomorrow…..too bad about Williams, down 7-1 then leads 16-14……that stings

Yup, com on Ronnie. 

And guys is it just me, or were there an insane amount of easy pots missed the last 2 weeks? I was on YT for many highlights, and saw many very easy balls missed. That being said, the amount of long reds potted is truly amazing…..in 1993 me and Dad started tuning in when Hendry was smashing everyone, he was the only player back then who even attempted those pots. Everyone else just played another safety…….

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Yup, com on Ronnie. 

Saw a tweet that read “ Wales & Scotland have been crushed, it’s an all-English final…. as it should be”

Don’t know whether to laugh or shake my head……is there still that much hate between the borders? 

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

And guys is it just me, or were there an insane amount of easy pots missed the last 2 weeks? I was on YT for many highlights, and saw many very easy balls missed. That being said, the amount of long reds potted is truly amazing…..in 1993 me and Dad started tuning in when Hendry was smashing everyone, he was the only player back then who even attempted those pots. Everyone else just played another safety…….

The pressure of the world's gets to many of the players. The long format separates the men from the boys.

Saw a tweet that read “ Wales & Scotland have been crushed, it’s an all-English final…. as it should be”

Don’t know whether to laugh or shake my head……is there still that much hate between the borders? 

Not that I know of, if you love snooker,  you appreciate the talent no matter where it is from.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't read to much into it GB... Its a world championship final and its open for the top players in world wherever they come from. 

Just happens to be English blokes in the final right now. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The pressure of the world's gets to many of the players. The long format separates the men from the boys.

And way before Hendry.......south African player Perry Manns was famed for his long potting abilities. 

Saw him and others play in the park drive championship at belle Vue Manchester mid 70s.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Just now, Aqualung said:

And way before Hendry.......south African player Perry Manns was famed for his long potting abilities. 

Saw him and others play in the park drive championship at belle Vue Manchester mid 70s.

I had a Perry Manns signed cue in the early days!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Like those “easy” final blacks for 147……Un-Nooh and Doherty…..yikes! Same thing as golf for me…..in 1999 drove over to New York State and purchased a new titanium driver, feckin cost $250 USD used, but a very rare model, belonged to a pro at Lake Placid where they had the 1980 Winter Olympics. 7.5 degrees 

So I decide to try it out ASAP, it was midweek and a track Dad & I played was empty. The sound on the first tee made me jump, it was my 1st shot with that “alloy”. So 290 down the middle, lob wedge to 25 feet…..birdie. 2nd hole, tough dogleg about 420, down the middle again, hard PW from 145 looked way short……I walk up…..it’s in the hole! 

-3 thru 2 holes……I ended up shooting 45 for that nine, or +12 the final 7

Pressure is a real thing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I hope it’s still in good shape, unlike my local guy Robidoux. I’m sure you know the story…..but hey no shame for him, think he reached #9 in the world around the time Ronnie destroyed him, that’s some good snooker 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Never had a signed cue tbh but I remember the first cue my late father gave me. It was made in 1911 and had a thick butt lol and was straight as a die. Lovely grain also. 

Shamefully, after losing a league game for the club I played for against a right duck egg... I wrapped the cue around the toilet. Fucking livid I was. Cue in 2 pieces. 

The next time I went into the club my team mates had jokingly cello- taped it back together and mounted it on the snooker room wall.!!!! 

I had it repaired of course but it was never the same cue. Or maybe it was just me! 

• Haha 1

I miss the old pros to be honest. Way less mechanical than they are now but I know the games moved on over the dacades. 

Only ever been to the one tournament as mentioned before and it was way different than those of today. 

Names I remember seeing from Manchester. 

John Spencer 

Perry Manns 

Graham Miles 

John Pullman

Bill Werbenuik

Fred Davies 

Terry Griffiths 

And the match I watched with my dad and about 6 other's.......... 

Ray Reardon v Jim Meadowcroft ( rip) 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

The greatest Canadian athlete ...

A55B0CF8-94B0-44F8-8679-67028EB76D1A.jpeg

Big Bill…didn’t know about him until his passing unfortunately. Was nervous and needed a dozen pints just to play. Wasn’t on the same level as Thorburn or Kirk Stevens, but must have been entertaining as hell to watch as a fan. Believe he made a crazy fluke once too, ball flying off the table that sank in the middle like a putt

Sadly, many sports had better characters 40 years ago than today. $ changed everything

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Big Bill…didn’t know about him until his passing unfortunately. Was nervous and needed a dozen pints just to play. Wasn’t on the same level as Thorburn or Kirk Stevens, but must have been entertaining as hell to watch as a fan. Believe he made a crazy fluke once too, ball flying off the table that sank in the middle like a putt

Sadly, many sports had better characters 40 years ago than today. $ changed everything

• Thanks 1