Snooker

coxyhog

4 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Pool table pockets are akin to buckets. The modern player wears some sort of gay glove for what reason I'll never know. 

Why do I wear a shooting glove? Because it irritated me using the baby powder and having it make a mess on the floor and the table itself. Guests seem to forget who has to keep that powder cleaned up. The ladies were the worst offenders. I have extra gloves for whoever is playing. I didn't replace the baby powder. The gloves last a long time and at 20 baht apiece, I don't mind buying them. Up to you.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 AM, Gary said:

Why do I wear a shooting glove? Because it irritated me using the baby powder and having it make a mess on the floor and the table itself. Guests seem to forget who has to keep that powder cleaned up. The ladies were the worst offenders. I have extra gloves for whoever is playing. I didn't replace the baby powder. The gloves last a long time and at 20 baht apiece, I don't mind buying them. Up to you.

I had never used a glove playing pool or snooker here in the UK, but when I started to play competition pool in Thailand I found the climate to cause my bridge hand to sweat and cause friction on the cue. The chalk they use ( powder if you like ) was a temporary fix, but as you say it goes everywhere and doesn't last. I tried a glove and didn't like it at first as it didn't feel natural, nor did having to keep using powder mid frame, which spoils your concentration. I decided to commit to a glove and after a few weeks of playing it became natural and now it feels bare if I play without one.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, Aqualung said:

I'm going to chime in here regarding playing pool v snooker. I've played both and snooker is by far the more difficult game. 

Pool table pockets are akin to buckets. The modern player wears some sort of gay glove for what reason I'll never know. Most snooker players I know who joined the local pub pool leagues pissed all over the pool only players as they could control the cue ball better. They used snooker cues and not the big fat tipped pool cues. 

Anyways, I'm not an expert but played for years in a decent standard snooker league where century breaks were not uncommon. 

Would love to know bms highest snooker break. Mine is 59 x2... Missing a spotted black both times! 

Remember years ago warming up before the nights matches.... Picking the balls out of the pockets for my warming up team mate.... 111 break! 

And this was only local snooker in Lancashire. 

I agree that playing snooker is far harder to reach a decent standard than playing regular pool, but under the old rules of 8 ball pool a decent snooker player would never beat a good pool player because the game was very tactical and not all about potting balls. The more recent game developed for TV which uses World pool rules or international rules is more akin to being agressive and snooker players are way more successful because its all about potting balls.

The game mostly played in competitions in Asia is 9 and 10 ball pool and that demands a different set of skills again, both good 8 ball players and snooker players have reached a very high standard, but again the world stage is mostly dominated by 9 and 10 ball pool players.

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I agree that playing snooker is far harder to reach a decent standard than playing regular pool, but under the old rules of 8 ball pool a decent snooker player would never beat a good pool player because the game was very tactical and not all about potting balls. The more recent game developed for TV which uses World pool rules or international rules is more akin to being agressive and snooker players are way more successful because its all about potting balls.

The game mostly played in competitions in Asia is 9 and 10 ball pool and that demands a different set of skills again, both good 8 ball players and snooker players have reached a very high standard, but again the world stage is mostly dominated by 9 and 10 ball pool players.

I agree to a certain extent. I've no idea about international pool standards and the rules they play under but the pockets are huge. 

Im talking about the pub pool leagues in the UK but even then the rules seem to change from year to year and even they seem different in other parts of the country. 

Like I said, I'm no expert on either game and its over 20 years since I participated in pool and snooker as wearing specs makes the games even harder for me. 

As for the tac tics in both games, yes of course it's important but when you consider the size of the tables, safety play in snooker is far more difficult considering the distance a ball has to travel. 

Plus.. The massive difference between pool and snooker is 

You don't have to put a pound coin in a snooker table 😁😁😁😁

7 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I agree to a certain extent. I've no idea about international pool standards and the rules they play under but the pockets are huge. 

Im talking about the pub pool leagues in the UK but even then the rules seem to change from year to year and even they seem different in other parts of the country. 

Like I said, I'm no expert on either game and its over 20 years since I participated in pool and snooker as wearing specs makes the games even harder for me. 

As for the tac tics in both games, yes of course it's important but when you consider the size of the tables, safety play in snooker is far more difficult considering the distance a ball has to travel. 

Used to have to put 50p in the meter for the lights to play snooker 😉 

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Used to have to put 50p in the meter for the lights to play snooker 😉 

10 p at my local Conservative club. 

Haven't been able to visit there since 2012 when my dad died. He, my brother and myself spent hours and hours snookering there. Both are dead now... Brings back to many memories for me to set foot in the place. 

My snooker cue is still there I think. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I think you are thinking of the American pool type tables with the large corner pockets. I played 8 ball pool years ago to International standard and I can assure you the pockets were far from huge. My local pubs have pool tables here in England and the pockets are still tight.

I used to play snooker at a high amateur level here too and like i said previously, I agree that it is harder to get decent at snooker because of the size of the table.

BTW I have always had to pay for the light whilst playing snooker, well hopefully my partner would as we used to play for the light payment. lol

3 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

10 p at my local Conservative club. 

Haven't been able to visit there since 2012 when my dad died. He, my brother and myself spent hours and hours snookering there. Both are dead now... Brings back to many memories for me to set foot in the place. 

My snooker cue is still there I think. 

I think you will find the price has gone up a tad, tokens at my Con club are 50p for 20 mins. They do have some of the best tables in the city though!

21 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I think you are thinking of the American pool type tables with the large corner pockets. I played 8 ball pool years ago to International standard and I can assure you the pockets were far from huge. My local pubs have pool tables here in England and the pockets are still tight.

I used to play snooker at a high amateur level here too and like i said previously, I agree that it is harder to get decent at snooker because of the size of the table.

BTW I have always had to pay for the light whilst playing snooker, well hopefully my partner would as we used to play for the light payment. lol

Well, I hope I get the pleasure to meet you at a pool table or snooker table one of these days. 

Just thinking back, I've achieved nowt in both games but I did take Jack mcgoughlin a former northern Ireland champion ( beat Dennis Taylor I think) to a black ball game. 

And he flooked the black lol! 

I'll get me self some Dennis Taylor glasses in anticipation and I'll play you at pool on a snooker table... Best of 3 and the winner buys the beers.... OK? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aqualung said:

Well, I hope I get the pleasure to meet you at a pool table or snooker table one of these days. 

Just thinking back, I've achieved nowt in both games but I did take Jack mcgoughlin a former northern Ireland champion ( beat Dennis Taylor I think) to a black ball game. 

I'll get me self some Dennis Taylor glasses in anticipation and I'll play you at pool on a snooker table... Best of 3 and the winner buys the beers.... OK? 

I played Denis Taylor in an exibition match a month before he won the Worlds in 85. What a great guy he is, those glasses changed his life.

I am happy to play you anytime mate. I don't play in the UK anymore, but do enjoy the pool competiton scene in Thailand. Like you, my eyes are not what they were but with a bit of guessing on the long cuts I get by on the 9 foot tables! :default_fun:

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I played Denis Taylor in an exibition match a month before he won the Worlds in 85. What a great guy he is, those glasses changed his life.

I am happy to play you anytime mate. I don't play in the UK anymore, but do enjoy the pool competiton scene in Thailand. Like you, my eyes are not what they were but with a bit of guessing on the long cuts I get by on the 9 foot tables! :default_fun:

I'll pm you in 2025 when we are allowed back in Los...... Seriously though if earlier I will do the same. 

Enjoy your boy billiards in the meantime. 

Now that's another topic... Billiards. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Rather you than me...don't know how many pool tournaments I have seen Stew win in Pattaya and Bangkok...He always buys me a drink though 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starshine said:

Rather you than me...don't know how many pool tournaments I have seen Stew win in Pattaya and Bangkok...He always buys me a drink though 😊

I have no fear..... Just put on a 12 ft table instead of the kiddies version 5555555 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

I'll pm you in 2025 when we are allowed back in Los...... Seriously though if earlier I will do the same. 

Enjoy your boy billiards in the meantime. 

Now that's another topic... Billiards. 

Considering how good I was at snooker, I am relatively crap at billiards. I used to just keep potting the balls. The World champ at the time was here in my city and he would show me how to play properly. Way out of my league he was! So I stuck to snooker . LOL

Having played regularly on the local bar's tight snooker pockets, and gotten used to them, I was actually surprised during a trip to Pattaya/Jomtien and playing on the 6 foot bar room tables. The pockets are huge. I think the reason for that is the bigger pockets make the games go much faster. As with many other things, it's all about money. My 8 foot Rhino table pockets are not nearly as big as the bar room tables. The side pockets are wider than the corner pockets. I don't know if the smaller diameter snooker balls would make it easier or not.

I opted for the 8 foot table even though I have plenty or room for a bigger table. I bought the 8 foot because I want to enjoy playing and having to reach for too many shots is uncomfortable. 

6 hours ago, Gary said:

Having played regularly on the local bar's tight snooker pockets, and gotten used to them, I was actually surprised during a trip to Pattaya/Jomtien and playing on the 6 foot bar room tables. The pockets are huge. I think the reason for that is the bigger pockets make the games go much faster. As with many other things, it's all about money. My 8 foot Rhino table pockets are not nearly as big as the bar room tables. The side pockets are wider than the corner pockets. I don't know if the smaller diameter snooker balls would make it easier or not.

I opted for the 8 foot table even though I have plenty or room for a bigger table. I bought the 8 foot because I want to enjoy playing and having to reach for too many shots is uncomfortable. 

I think many of those tables around the bars are like the American 9 ball tables with big end pockets.

It sounds like you got yourself a nice table. 8 feet with Normal size pocket is a pleasure to play on.

The big money now is in what we call Chinese 8 ball. It is played on a 9 foot table with the big pool balls but the tables have snooker sized/type  pockets. Extremely difficult to pot balls, especially down the rail.

The bars in Rompho market in Jomtien had the bigger pool tables with snooker type pockets the last time I was there.

I used to be very short sighted until I had my eyes lasered in 1996 & although I've never played snooker to any sort of high standard I noticed immediately that my long game improved.

29 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

The bars in Rompho market in Jomtien had the bigger pool tables with snooker type pockets the last time I was there.

I used to be very short sighted until I had my eyes lasered in 1996 & although I've never played snooker to any sort of high standard I noticed immediately that my long game improved.

My eyes are slowly deteriating with age, I am considering Laser surgery when they get too bad.

How are your eyes now after many years after being lasered?

Edited by boydeste

53 minutes ago, boydeste said:

My eyes are slowly deteriating with age, I am considering Laser surgery when they get too bad.

How are your eyes now after many years after being lasered?

I'm the opposite now,long sighted,I need glasses for anything remotely close.Also my right eye isn't as good as my left.I've also got a few floaters but they tell me that is normal with age.

When I had it done you had to wait 6 months to get the second eye done & I don't think it was anywhere near as good as it is now.

I certainly have never regretted it,I hated wearing heavy glasses.

The snooker is what I miss most about the lockdown,me & some mates used to play twice a week in my village club where they have three very good & well maintained tables.The light meter costs £1 & that'll usually last a game & the beer's good & cheap.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I'm the opposite now,long sighted,I need glasses for anything remotely close.Also my right eye isn't as good as my left.I've also got a few floaters but they tell me that is normal with age.

When I had it done you had to wait 6 months to get the second eye done & I don't think it was anywhere near as good as it is now.

I certainly have never regretted it,I hated wearing heavy glasses.

Similar to me , I had LASIK surgery in 2004  , was about -4 in both eyes and couldn't see anything without glasses ... had about ten years of no glasses , then started getting longsighted as I got older , now need glasses for reading and using a computer, but still okay to drive without ... best thing I ever did  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...