Some unsettling news regarding Tourism (X Post)

Butch

13 minutes ago, roobob said:

I would not say the discovery of a person who was infected with the CV19 virus openly walking around in Rayong is almost nothing.

Luckily it did not lead to more infections.

cheers

There's people with COVID-19 walking around everywhere. No story there.

15 minutes ago, lazarus said:

There's people with COVID-19 walking around everywhere. No story there.

Not in Thailand.... where the story occurred ...so understandably it was big news when it was found out.

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, john1000 said:

positive news on vaccines

I have been following updates in the news about the progress some companies are making with a vaccine. Pfizer, BioNTech, and Moderna seem to be the front runners. 

Moderna have had a 300% rise in the company's stock price since late January. There is a buzz in the scientific community is that antibodies could battle COVID before a vaccine is developed. Antibodies could provide a significant immunity boost while waiting for a vaccine, but this too is in the experimental stages. 

We should forget about Orange Hair, Doomsday news, random "experts" and professors spewing their predictions and theories and root for the scientists within one of these companies for a vaccine. If Salk did it, IMO we can discover a vaccine for this as well. 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:41 AM, john1000 said:

Maybe the dynamic would change if positive news on vaccines and a dramatic drop in cases in the next few months. Just because at this point in time things look bleak, doesn't mean its set in stone.

Even if it were set in stone, stone can be broken.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, john1000 said:

Maybe the dynamic would change if positive news on vaccines and a dramatic drop in cases in the next few months. Just because at this point in time things look bleak, doesn't mean its set in stone.

A vaccine, assuming it is 100% effective,  will in theory  make a big difference but only to the extent that the take up is very high world wide.  Maybe, for example, those in the USA who for political reasons absolutely refuse to wear a face mask will be first in the queue demanding a jag but that remains to be seen. What the world has to come to terms with is that Covid19 or what it evolves into is never going to go away just as influeza still effects countless millions world wide.

I also wonder how many will say to themselves I think I will wait and see what happens to those who first get inoculated? Huge political pressure on these pharmceutical companies to produce results. Cut a few corners here and there in the testing? I wonder how many poor bloody chimps are looking like Walking Dead extra's ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Good news guys....TAT is cooking up a new entry plan...lol

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1968903/samui-brainstorms-tourist-entry-plan

Samui brainstorms tourist entry plan

That's not brainstorming, that's a brain fart....

Over 30 years that I have known Thailand, It never ceased to amaze me the kind of absolutely stupid / impossible to execute ideas government officials come up with on a nearly weekly base ....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RimmerMan said:

I am one of those stupid Americans, however I have been wearing a mask since they told us to (March 2020).

Since I am retired and live alone, I have been isolated 98% of the time.

I only go out to grocery shop once every 3-4 weeks, however everything is pretty well run, you cannot get close to others unless you tried to. 

I have taken more than enough precautions, and it would really suck to be stuck in the USA and not be able to travel just becauser we have high numbers.  Percentages tell a slightly different story as we have 330 million documented people in the country.

Some possible solutions or wishful thinking, hoping or dreaming:

• All travelers (regardless of country) must show proof of a negative test 48 hours prior to airport check in,
  • Plus 14 day quarantine
  • Or proof of vaccination (future of course)

If you want to live YOUR life like that, no problem.

Just don't try to make it look as "normal" and impose it on others.

Some people, like me, still want to have a REAL life. Like normal daily shopping, dont care about social distancing, go to the restaurant 3 or 4 times a week, go to the pub 2 or 3 times a week etc .....

FFS ....

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, Steelers4Life said:

Who will be allowed into the kingdom in 2021? What criteria will be used for what countries will be allowed in? Just because Swampy opens up in 2021 doesn't mean all countries will welcomed in right away.

Brits Americans I wouldnt imagine back until 2022 and thats with a vaccine sanctioned in the interim

Probably 2023 at best until all requirements are shelved completely

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RimmerMan said:

• All travelers (regardless of country) must show proof of a negative test 48 hours prior to airport check in,
  • Plus 14 day quarantine
  • Or proof of vaccination (future of course)

Probably at least 95% of previous regular holiday tourists will red card the Country whilst the 2nd requirement remains. Nobody who is on employed status is going to lose 2 weeks of their holiday leave in a quarantine hotel. Probably make that 99%

I'm self employed status but if they think I'm dragging my sorry arse 6000 miles to be placed into a quarantine hotel that I have to pay for for 2 weeks than they can think again. I cant imagine too many here think otherwise either

Time for pastures new in Europe for now

Edited by RR007
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Probably at least 95% of previous regular holiday tourists will red card the Country whilst the 2nd requirement remains. Nobody who is on employed status is going to lose 2 weeks of their holiday leave in a quarantine hotel. Probably make that 99%

I'm self employed status but if they think I'm dragging my sorry arse 6000 miles to be placed into a quarantine hotel that I have to pay for for 2 weeks than they can think again. I cant imagine too many here think otherwise either

Time for pastures new in Europe for now

100% agreed

• Thumbs Up 1

Credit to the Stickman site of today the 16th August

"A friend with a Thai wife who lives in another part of the region looked at what was required for the two of them to fly in to Thailand. They are legally married so he can fly in to Thailand if he is willing to undergo quarantine on his own dime, get an approved Covid-19 insurance policy and test negative for Covid-19 before departing. When he started to go through the process he discovered some stuff it was even more difficult than he thought. He would not be able to fly together on the same flight as his Thai wife. He would have to prepay 50% for the hotel quarantine before he even had the first Covid test done in his country of residence – and if for any reason he could not get on the flight, the 50% hotel deposit was non-refundable. Worse still, he has read reports that some hotels say a farang husband & Thai wife cannot stay in the same hotel room because the Ministry of Health forbids it. Of course, there is nothing on the MOH website that says any such thing. What a hassle."

1 hour ago, RimmerMan said:

Yes, of course, I agree.

It is just frustrating for the retired dudes who are stuck at home and cannot get back.

Those with Retirement Visas and Elite Visas are the ones who are mainly affected with the quarantine in effect.

How that ? If the retired dude stayed in Thailand where is the problem ?

Same for married guys. Now if they ran away from LOS at the first noise of Covid....well....

Same here, many expats chooce to go home and now complain they can't get back.... Their choice.

I stayed, it never even came to my mind to run, that would have been like a slap in the face of my companion and total disrespect.  

We are together, we go through it together. In a relax way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

How that ? If the retired dude stayed in Thailand where is the problem ?

Same for married guys. Now if they ran away from LOS at the first noise of Covid....well....

Same here, many expats chooce to go home and now complain they can't get back.... Their choice.

I stayed, it never even came to my mind to run, that would have been like a slap in the face of my companion and total disrespect.  

We are together, we go through it together. In a relax way.

How do you know that the couple (whoever) didn't go back to The West (wherever) for a holiday , plenty of people do and they got stuck there?

Quiet possible that's not running away I know people are stuck elsewhere. 

Edited by roomark
  • Thanks 1

For the first time since I retired here in 2006 I am not going to physically see my Daughters this year and quite possibly neither in 2021.

It has been our practice every year for either them to visit me in Thailand  or for me to do a trip to the UK or both. They have changed their KLM flights four times now to August  2021 because they both could not make the Easter holiday period. The hope is of course that Thailand's extensive and expensive restrictions on tourism will be lifted by then but who knows?

As it stands it seems the UK will be one of the last countries that Thailand will accept as general tourists with quite probably the USA last of all.

Personally, I am extremely concerned about the possibility of me not being able to visit them again in the UK due to not being able to meet Thailand's requirements on my return. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, roomark said:

How do you know that the couple (whoever) didn't go back to The West (wherever) for a holiday , plenty of people do and they got stuck there?

Quiet possible that's not running away I know people are stuck elsewhere. 

Agreed, there are a few of those cases around. But if they considered Thailand "home" they should have returned as soon things started to go south ? But then again, who could have predicted that human madness would have gone to the point we are now ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Personally, I am extremely concerned about the possibility of me not being able to visit them again in the UK due to not being able to meet Thailand's requirements on my return

Not extremely concerned here, but its a bit of a pain.

My 2 sons were here last Xmas, my daugther 20 months ago, and I planned to have the 3 over at Xmas. Let's see what happens, but I am not very optimistic.

But we all have our own lifes now, and we can go without seeing each other for a while. Of course Xmas together would be much nicer, but hey ... there are things we cant change.

38 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Worst like fcucking sad spring to mind listening to this... 

People can forget February....100% Febuary is not happening.... Wave #2 will be in full swing by then...Autumn 2021 is the earliest dates I can see and that's only a maybe....

Edited by fforest
  • Sad 1