14th September 2006

mrcharliemofo

12 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Question now for the phone techie people on here as I have zero idea.

When I get back I'm going to need a simcard, probably a PAYG to start ? Now I'm seeing all sorts of plans for how many GB I might need, my question is what would I need ?

I'll be using the phone for calls and texts and online I'll be using whatsapp and messenger and maybe Line, I doubt very much I'll be watching youtube or movies or doing much searching online so how many GB will I be ok with ?

I'd suggest you be best of use a data calculator to estimate your needs

http://www.three.co.uk/datacalculator#phone

I pay for 4GB a month which I've never used all of this in a month. I'll do some searching, watch the odd video and occasionally use the phone as a hotspot. The latter really does come in handy at times.

Given what you've said though you'd be a lower user than me, but I'd still use a calculator.

As a tip I'd tell you to avoid the Three network. I've got a phone via ID Mobile who use Three and the reception is very poor at times.

Last week I got the Which Magazine that surveyed mobile phone networks. What would you know Three scored bottom for reception out of 15 providers☹️

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'd suggest you be best of use a data calculator to estimate your needs

http://www.three.co.uk/datacalculator#phone

I pay for 4GB a month which I've never used all of this in a month. I'll do some searching, watch the odd video and occasionally use the phone as a hotspot. The latter really does come in handy at times.

Given what you've said though you'd be a lower user than me, but I'd still use a calculator.

As a tip I'd tell you to avoid the Three network. I've got a phone via ID Mobile who use Three and the reception is very poor at times.

Last week I got the Which Magazine that surveyed mobile phone networks. What would you know Three scored bottom for reception out of 15 providers☹️

I've been looking at EE as they seemed to do well in the comparisons I've looked at, I did their calculation and it came out at 1.8gb. I did roughly the same on the site you gave me with a lot of different questions and it came up as 'unlimited' ??

Just to add that I use Sky, and can carry over unused data. I don't know if that deal is still available, but you should consider it if it is. 

Never had a reception problem with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I've been looking at EE as they seemed to do well in the comparisons I've looked at, I did their calculation and it came out at 1.8gb. I did roughly the same on the site you gave me with a lot of different questions and it came up as 'unlimited' ??

Apologies I just used the same calculator and it came out with 30GB😀

I just checked again using an independent calculator

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/mobile-data-calculator/

It came up with the result of 3GB, which is pretty much what I'd use

To @Bazle recommendation Sky reviewed very well by Which. A slightly better score was obtained by Tesco Mobile, they were classed as recommended provider. Tesco scored slightly better than Sky because of customer service, but both got very favourable reviews.

Also Baz's point about being able to roll over data is a good one

Sorry my first reply was a bit rubbish, a touch hungover this morning:default_blushing:

First proper session yesterday outside a pub for months (since mid December in fact). Couple of cups of coffee and the brain is firing now😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Just to add that I use Sky, and can carry over unused data. I don't know if that deal is still available, but you should consider it if it is. 

They use O2's network so pretty good coverage.

ETA:  As do Tesco just mentioned by Lemondropkid.

Edited by KWA
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, KWA said:

They use O2's network so pretty good coverage.

ETA:  As do Tesco just mentioned by Lemondropkid.

I vaguely remember having a tesco sim the last time I was over there and never an issue with it and guess who's coming up trumps on the site below ? Tesco.

35 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Apologies I just used the same calculator and it came out with 30GB😀

I just checked again using an independent calculator

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/mobile-data-calculator/I

Cracking site that, thanks.

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

No data carry over now by the looks of it but decent deals by them.

I finally changed from PAYG to sim only contract. The best value at the time was Virgin, 8GB data with carry over, unlimited calls and texts for £8 per month. A little bit of FB, occasional Spotify when out walking but I rarely use more than 1 GB.

Each month they seem to discount one data size package.

They are not great with support if you use an unknown Chinese phone, I cannot access free wifi hotspots but no need on my low usage.

• Thumbs Up 1

A mate had a contract phone in the UK but used to use a Lebara sim purely to call Thailand, calls abroad were much cheaper. Speech was clear and no problems with reception either way.

I am amazed that for £5 per month you can get unlimited phone calls, my previous PAYG was 40p per minute.

21 minutes ago, bob lt said:

A mate had a contract phone in the UK but used to use a Lebara sim purely to call Thailand, calls abroad were much cheaper. Speech was clear and no problems with reception either way.

I am amazed that for £5 per month you can get unlimited phone calls, my previous PAYG was 40p per minute.

That's the part that got me. When I had PAYG calls were silly money, just delved a bit deeper and it seems like calls to a thai mobile are 3p a minute.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Krapow said:

@mrcharliemofo You should be spoilt for choice at the moment, all's i'm seeing on the news is panic due to lack of HGV drivers!

Christ don't get me started about that ! I'm so fucking angry with shall we say the sheer incompetence or stupidity of the civil service in this country.

My licence expired years ago whilst in thailand and so when I knew I was coming back I renewed it online and it was at my UK address in about 4 days, I did my CPC course online and had my card the following week, I renewed my digi-tacho card online and had it in about 5 days.

I did and passed my HGV medical on the 17th June and posted it that day 1st class recorded delivery, it arrived on the 26th June ! 

In the meantime as I wasn't working I applied online for universal credit, I had 2 phone interviews and a meeting at the local dole office where I was told she was 90% sure there wouldn't be any issue and I should get it.

At the same time I saw a flat for rent and it turned out it was a council flat, the woman there was great and seemed keen to get me in the flat but said I needed to have proof of income from either work or universal credit.

Are you keeping up ????

All along I'd been aware that there were delays at DVLA regarding postal stuff because of on/off strike action, I'd read or been told anything from 2 weeks to 6 months but as I'd also bought a car and received the V5 in 10 days I was hoping for my licence to come back in the first 2 weeks of July.

My woman at the council asked another worker there to speak with someone at the dole office to see what my chances were of getting some income from them......slim because of his time out of the country........flat gone.

Then I got an email from universal credit.........you're not eligible because you've been out of the country too long and we're not sure you're staying......you won't be getting any income from us........( I should have come here on the Calais - Kent dinghy service ! )

I can't get work driving vans or 7.5t trucks because I had to send my current licence to DVLA and possible employers and agencies want to see a physical licence, not a copy.

I've spoken to agencies about warehouse work but they all want 5 year checkable work history......I don't have it.

So after some searching on the government website I then realised that HGV drivers are classed as essential workers and I can email them if I tick the essential worker box. I did that and got an email back within an hour..........6-10 weeks backlog of post and even after processing my application it'll be a 2 week wait for them to send it back to me.

So the next time you go to Tesco and the shelves are bare then you'll know one of the main reasons is that DVLA are a bunch of tossers and there's probably 1000's of drivers who's licences expired and they're stuck in the backlog at Swansea and they mostly can't drive.

Edit..I've just read that the governments brilliant idea to keep the trucks moving is to allow drivers an extra hour of work everyday.  So twice a week now they can do 16 hours instead of 15 and on the other 3 days they can do 14hrs instead of 13. One of the main reasons they can't get drivers is the long hours so what do they do ? Extend them. 

Edit again...not sure if they mean extend driving time or duty time ?,either way it's not addressing the real issues.

Why not go to Swansea and tell those wankers to sort it out ASAP or they'll get the sack ??

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Sad 2

I can feel sympathy with you but the UK can be in the middle of a really terrible pandemic but the rules for business just carry on as normal.

I was with a company that was in the process of being acquired by another business; we were all called to a webinar event expecting to be told we had been bought and our jobs were safe but, oh no, the mergers and competitions department insisted that there had to be a wait of 6 months for checking if the acquisition was acceptable. 

Of course the new prospective owners were not willing to wait and walked away, the investors in my company were not willing to fund the business anymore by waiting for the deal to go through and the company went into administration with the loss of over 2000 employees.

So even during a pandemic the wheels of business (government) just carry on and even though sidestepping the rules to make lives easier seems the best way forward it just doesn't gel with those in power (unless you are Matt Hancock or Boris that is)

Edited by Horizondave

I arrived in Thailand in June 2005 staying for about 6 weeks to find somewhere to live. I then returned to Scotland for 4 wees or so to deal with the sale of my flat returning in August of that year. I got married 6 years ago and had started the process to get a settlement visa for my wife 4 years ago until a stroke put paid to that idea. The intention now is to go for a visa in 2024, which will have the advantage that by the time my wife can apply for indefinite leave to remain shr will be 65 and therefore exempt from all tests unless Boris changes the rules> I wouldn't put it past that c**t to do something like that!!!! To say I detest him would be a gross understatement

Alan

1 hour ago, fifelad55 said:

...... unless Boris changes the rules> I wouldn't put it past that c**t to do something like that!!!! To say I detest him would be a gross understatement

Alan

I'm told Boris thinks highly of you, too! 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, mrcharliemofo said:

My licence expired years ago whilst in thailand and so when I knew I was coming back I renewed it online and it was at my UK address in about 4 days, I did my CPC course online and had my card the following week, I renewed my digi-tacho card online and had it in about 5 days.

I did and passed my HGV medical on the 17th June and posted it that day 1st class recorded delivery, it arrived on the 26th June ! 

In the meantime as I wasn't working I applied online for universal credit, I had 2 phone interviews and a meeting at the local dole office where I was told she was 90% sure there wouldn't be any issue and I should get it.

At the same time I saw a flat for rent and it turned out it was a council flat, the woman there was great and seemed keen to get me in the flat but said I needed to have proof of income from either work or universal credit.

Are you keeping up ????

All along I'd been aware that there were delays at DVLA regarding postal stuff because of on/off strike action, I'd read or been told anything from 2 weeks to 6 months but as I'd also bought a car and received the V5 in 10 days I was hoping for my licence to come back in the first 2 weeks of July.

My woman at the council asked another worker there to speak with someone at the dole office to see what my chances were of getting some income from them......slim because of his time out of the country........flat gone.

Then I got an email from universal credit.........you're not eligible because you've been out of the country too long and we're not sure you're staying......you won't be getting any income from us........( I should have come here on the Calais - Kent dinghy service ! )

I can't get work driving vans or 7.5t trucks because I had to send my current licence to DVLA and possible employers and agencies want to see a physical licence, not a copy.

I've spoken to agencies about warehouse work but they all want 5 year checkable work history......I don't have it.

So after some searching on the government website I then realised that HGV drivers are classed as essential workers and I can email them if I tick the essential worker box. I did that and got an email back within an hour..........6-10 weeks backlog of post and even after processing my application it'll be a 2 week wait for them to send it back to me.

So the next time you go to Tesco and the shelves are bare then you'll know one of the main reasons is that DVLA are a bunch of tossers and there's probably 1000's of drivers who's licences expired and they're stuck in the backlog at Swansea and they mostly can't drive.

How are you getting on re the licence at the moment?.

FWIW there are dozens of companies in Felixstowe desperate for drivers, earnings in excess of £900 pw, plus a few will allow you to live in the cab during the week at their depot as well, quite a few Eastern European / Polish drivers doing this. I know it's not ideal but for a short term option it has potential. I've no idea how much property rental goes for down there though.

The shortage of drivers is crippling. My friend told me that they have had to shut a couple of Freightliner depots up country as they are at capacity,  and until the boxes are moved out there is literally nowhere to store them.

One positive of all this is that the wages for drivers are going up a lot and the extra hour I think is voluntary anyway. from what I'm told any company trying to enforce such a rule on their already strained drivers get told to f-off, as there is no shortage of opportunites out there.

In the UK supply chains are stretched, although there are shortages of some stuff, we're not at empty shelves yet

Edited by Butch
spelling.

6 hours ago, Butch said:

How are you getting on re the licence at the moment?.

FWIW there are dozens of companies in Felixstowe desperate for drivers, earnings in excess of £900 pw, plus a few will allow you to live in the cab during the week at their depot as well, quite a few Eastern European / Polish drivers doing this. I know it's not ideal but for a short term option it has potential. I've no idea how much property rental goes for down there though.

The shortage of drivers is crippling. My friend told me that they have had to shut a couple of Freightliner depots up country as they are at capacity,  and until the boxes are moved out there is literally nowhere to store them.

One positive of all this is that the wages for drivers are going up a lot and the extra hour I think is voluntary anyway. from what I'm told any company trying to enforce such a rule on their already strained drivers get told to f-off, as there is no shortage of opportunites out there.

In the UK supply chains are stretched, although there are shortages of some stuff, we're not at empty shelves yet

A day under 6 weeks to get my licence back which if some other drivers are to be believed wasn't bad at all. I'm starting a job tomorrow and the pay is crazy and if they're daft enough to pay it then I'll be happy to relieve them of it.

That extra hour thing was I believe only for food deliveries ? Whether that's right or not I don't know but someone here won't be doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

22 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

A day under 6 weeks to get my licence back which if some other drivers are to be believed wasn't bad at all. I'm starting a job tomorrow and the pay is crazy and if they're daft enough to pay it then I'll be happy to relieve them of it.

That extra hour thing was I believe only for food deliveries ? Whether that's right or not I don't know but someone here won't be doing it.

Awesome news mate. Hope it works out for you. Be interesting to read about what changes you notice since you last drove one, such as standard of driving, road conditions and aspects of the job itself.

I last drove an HGV in 94, I don't think they use paper tacho's these days!.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Awesome news mate. Hope it works out for you. Be interesting to read about what changes you notice since you last drove one, such as standard of driving, road conditions and aspects of the job itself.

I last drove an HGV in 94, I don't think they use paper tacho's these days!.

Paper tacho's ! So easy to 'manipulate' them or just lose them when needed, the digital cards and tacho's they use now record everything and remember all the bad things you've done. The lorries now are basically idiot proof, just point and steer.

Only real difference I'm noticing even from when I was last driving in 2009 is that H+S has gone completely over the top now and basic common sense and flexibility seems to be a thing of the past.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bob lt said:

Congratulations, good news on the job front. Sounds as though you need to start again on the accommodation front due to the delays.

The accommodation thing was back on with the council and I should have been in a flat last week, but that has gone tits up now as there's a faulty heater valve or something so I have to wait for that to be repaired and when I ask how long I get the standard ''we'll let you know when it's done as we're waiting for them to repair it". Could be next week, next month, who knows ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

The accommodation thing was back on with the council and I should have been in a flat last week, but that has gone tits up now as there's a faulty heater valve or something so I have to wait for that to be repaired and when I ask how long I get the standard ''we'll let you know when it's done as we're waiting for them to repair it". Could be next week, next month, who knows ?.

This is England, welcome back      :Laugh1:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Paper tacho's ! So easy to 'manipulate' them or just lose them when needed, the digital cards and tacho's they use now record everything and remember all the bad things you've done. The lorries now are basically idiot proof, just point and steer.

Only real difference I'm noticing even from when I was last driving in 2009 is that H+S has gone completely over the top now and basic common sense and flexibility seems to be a thing of the past.

Ain't that the bloody truth - one of the main reasons I finally elected not to work part-time any more for my former employer - you can't do anything anymore without reams of paperwork, endless meetings, more personnel than needed, etc. I think of it as "safety gone silly" - safety has become an industry unto itself and the people making money off of it know that the more onerous things become out in the real world, the more money they'll make selling training courses, safety gear, etc....much of it is simply an insult to one's intelligence and I lack the patience to put up with it anymore.

As for the heavy trucking industry here in North America, they are crying because they are so short of drivers nowadays as nobody wants to enter the industry anymore, and can you blame them with all of the controls, inspections, etc. that they face every day? 

H & S has probably created more "non jobs" that any other industry. Legislation is king now, but it is a useful weapon if you want to turn it around.

Managers will avoid any responsibility when it comes to H&S, and some management strategy is aimed at getting the employee to agree to do some things that indemnify the manager responsible, for example, the friendly conversation from employer to employee of: "I can't tell you to do it mate, but if you did it would help me out" then means the burden of safe practice falls upon the employee.

Best answer as always, if asked to do something  that you feel is out of the realms of remit:

Stick your instructions in an email with your name attached, or basically put it in writing., then I'll do it.

5 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Ain't that the bloody truth - one of the main reasons I finally elected not to work part-time any more for my former employer - you can't do anything anymore without reams of paperwork, endless meetings, more personnel than needed, etc. I think of it as "safety gone silly" - safety has become an industry unto itself and the people making money off of it know that the more onerous things become out in the real world, the more money they'll make selling training courses, safety gear, etc....much of it is simply an insult to one's intelligence and I lack the patience to put up with it anymore.

As for the heavy trucking industry here in North America, they are crying because they are so short of drivers nowadays as nobody wants to enter the industry anymore, and can you blame them with all of the controls, inspections, etc. that they face every day? 

1 hour ago, Butch said:

H & S has probably created more "non jobs" that any other industry. Legislation is king now, but it is a useful weapon if you want to turn it around.

Managers will avoid any responsibility when it comes to H&S, and some management strategy is aimed at getting the employee to agree to do some things that indemnify the manager responsible, for example, the friendly conversation from employer to employee of: "I can't tell you to do it mate, but if you did it would help me out" then means the burden of safe practice falls upon the employee.

Best answer as always, if asked to do something  that you feel is out of the realms of remit:

Stick your instructions in an email with your name attached, or basically put it in writing., then I'll do it.

H+S for me has gone crazy, it's so far over the top and in my opinion it's all done for the employer to cover their arses. I've got so many stories about stupid H+S bullshit from the last 10 years I was driving that if I listed them here it'd be classed as fiction. Big tough hairy arsed lorry drivers and we're taught by one extremely large worldwide company that if we were unloading boxes of crisps we could only lift one box at a time ? That same company even had a H+S man spend a full afternoon doing shit on trailers including how to open and close trailer doors and opening and closing the curtains ? Like we'd never done it before.

Best I've heard though is the service books / instructions that you get with cars. In the 60's and 70's these books would tell you how to adjust the tappets on your car, nowadays they tell you not to drink the battery acid ?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2