CHANGES AND NO CHANGES TO THE FORUM...IMPORTANT PLS READ

tommy dee

Building and running a forum involves a considerable amount of work, aggravation and expense. The facts are that if there were no benefits there would be no forums. Then there are crotchety members to deal with. Some people just enjoy being contrary and constantly complain. Those people usually take themselves far too seriously. Forums are for information and often amusement. If a particular forum, thread or topic irritates you, just don't open it. It's a simple choice. Hatred is not good for your health.  You are free to leave anytime you like. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tommy dee said:

sell? I got a lifetime subscription to the chat vids on soi 6, a beer voucer ( 1) for nightwish and a t shirt 5555

forums certainly do have a future, but they need drive, commitment and effort from the owners, together with asn understanding of the marketplace.  whatch and see 🙂

Well I am not at all surprised at that because how could there have been much of a sale value in a forum whose active membership has been steadily falling daily with nothing of any real positive interest emerging in Thailand and not likely to this year. It must have been costing you personally just to keep it running. Good luck for getting out when you did.

Well they did not buy it with the expectation of not making money but that will be a good trick if they can pull that rabbit out of the hat as when times are hard "Advertising" is usually the first thing that falls into the "Not absolutely essential for survival" bucket as you know all too well I am sure.

"Its Good news week

Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere

contaminating atmosphere

and blackening the sky." 🤣

My Daughter Line'd me from Edinburgh yesterday. There in 8 inches of snow in her garden and  "by the way Dad, I fell down the stairs and broke my leg!"

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good point about the notifications email. And yes I do see them, but as I had opted out of the other stuff never see anything that would constitute spam.

Also a good reminder there are costs associated with a lot of things related to the forum that a lot of the users don't realize. Email being just one of them. I'm guessing here, but I imagine other costs are software, website hosting, server storage for photos, and perhaps even a bandwidth cost if the user community is large enough.

PA sent out the massive total of 5 Newsletters in the last 12 months. Even in good times it didnt exceed 1 a month. Spam is email that is “not requested”, nothing to do with “volume”, although that’s a common misunderstanding. The fact we have “opt in/out” options available effectively means spamming isn’t really possible. The bottom line is members have full control over what they get, not us.

On the costs you have it pretty correct, software, support, plugins/apps (for some reason this small forum uses a lot), hosting, image hosting and email. People are generally aware of “hosting” but things like the noti emails most seem unaware and don’t consider it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Whitespider said:

PA sent out the massive total of 5 Newsletters in the last 12 months. Even in good times it didnt exceed 1 a month. Spam is email that is “not requested”, nothing to do with “volume”, although that’s a common misunderstanding. The fact we have “opt in/out” options available effectively means spamming isn’t really possible. The bottom line is members have full control over what they get, not us.

On the costs you have it pretty correct, software, support, plugins/apps (for some reason this small forum uses a lot), hosting, image hosting and email. People are generally aware of “hosting” but things like the noti emails most seem unaware and don’t consider it. 

Have you bought the radio station yet?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jambo said:

Well I am not at all surprised at that because how could there have been much of a sale value in a forum whose active membership has been steadily falling daily

The posting is not just down on this forum but all of them....When people are faced with such  awful,complicated hoops to jump through to return to Thailand I think many just give up on Thailand....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

The posting is not just down on this forum but all of them....When people are faced with such  awful,complicated hoops to jump through to return to Thailand I think many just give up on Thailand....

I am sure, sadly, that you are correct in both respects. With no good news coming out about the nightlife in the usual places and none likely this year it is not surprising that many have given up on forums.

It really does more harm than good to keep posting an overload of photo's of the outside of empty bars. That needs to be balanced with photo's on the inside of those bars/clubs and GoGo's which are still open and attracting the expat trade as they do exist minority or not.

My other daughter, the one who didn't break her leg this week, was absolutely depressed when she phoned me on Thursday. She has come to the realization that she is not going to be able to visit me in August as she has just 10 days available and that is going to be swallowed up by the likely quarantine requirements.

As a UK expat living in Thailand I face the same problems which makes it so difficult for me to visit them  and then return to Thailand after the visit. In fact, if anything it will be worse for me until they lift some aspects of the current restrictions.

It really is quite depressing all round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Jambo said:

As a UK expat living in Thailand I face the same problems which makes it so difficult for me to visit them  and then return to Thailand after the visit. In fact, if anything it will be worse for me until they lift some aspects of the current restrictions.

It really is quite depressing all round.

Yes. Sadly, the return to 'normality' date seems to be being pushed out, even with vaccinations taking place around the world at an increasing pace.

Vaccines atm, look like cutting back on deaths, but not so much the transmission of the virus. A variation of the vaccine may be required for the mutations and the duration of the immunological response of vaccines may be about 8 months.

So two steps forward and one step back ?

We are due for a hefty double dollop of positive news, but its not to be found, currently anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Yes. Sadly, the return to 'normality' date seems to be being pushed out, even with vaccinations taking place around the world at an increasing pace.

Vaccines atm, look like cutting back on deaths, but not so much the transmission of the virus. A variation of the vaccine may be required for the mutations and the duration of the immunological response of vaccines may be about 8 months.

So two steps forward and one step back ?

We are due for a hefty double dollop of positive news, but its not to be found, currently anyway.

They are not taking place at an increasing pace in Thailand as for all practical purposes they have yet to start. Is that going to be April...May...????

It is anyone's guess as to when Thailand will have vaccinated their own population to an acceptable level. By "acceptable" I mean to a level which will they deem sufficient to allow anything like "normal" tourist levels. Or more particularly, tourists not being required to quarantine on arrival.

• Like 1

back to the rest of the news, and non news 🙂

i think forumscan do well in niche markets.  if you follow Fb and their changes an plans for future changes, its not the best.   FB members mostly dont realise THEY are the product.  and FB is planning to look closer t groups, esp. private groups.  a page or group can be zapped and gone forever at the whim of a home working employee who doesnt look at the content much at all.    that will get stricter and stricter 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 7:20 PM, Esco said:

It appears my reply got deleted. 

The new ethos in action for you. 

That's me checking out. 

Cheers 

Happened to me today on PA a couple times, then they added a no posting restriction.

As they own this place now, and share moderators, I must wish you all a fond farewell.  I really enjoyed the folks who made up this board.

• Sad 2
  • Surprised 2

57 minutes ago, tko said:

Happened to me today on PA a couple times, then they added a no posting restriction.

As they own this place now, and share moderators, I must wish you all a fond farewell.  I really enjoyed the folks who made up this board.

At the moment they don't share moderators (yet).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tko said:

This is Not addicts. It may now have the same ownership but that is all. 

I am sorry if that is your decision, but I would not be so hasty if I were you

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1