Stupid Human Tricks

forcebwithu

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

That made me feel extremely uncomfortable just watching.

As a teen I have worked construction up to 380 ft on scaffold and planks, now I don't even like cleaning first floor (upstairs) windows.

image.png    image.png

In my prime, I climbed tall wooden poles with climbing hooks, and also metal towers free-hand up to 400' and in the middle of winter sometimes - do I miss it, hell no...we never thought much about it at all until the safety rules got stringent and then our employers simply handed all of that work off to contractors, who in some  cases were a lot worse safety-wise than we had ever been, lol...

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching that video gave me vertigo too.

When I was about 20 I free climbed a cliff face in Colorado and about shat myself when I was around 200 ft up, on a ledge about the width of my foot, and realized the route I had picked wasn't going to work.

So here I am trying to figure out how I'm going to reverse my direction and make my way across this narrow ledge with my feet pointing the wrong way. Took a couple of minutes to calm myself and slowly, very slowly, make my way about 30 ft back on the ledge where it widened and I could turn myself around. Longest 30 ft in my life.

Most definitely that is #1 on my list of stupid human tricks that I've performed. From that point on all my climbing was done with a rope firmly attached to my body.

What's interesting is put me anywhere near the top of a large drop, even if there's a railing in front of me and I get vertigo. But put a rope on me and all those fears disappear and I can climb vertical cliff faces with no problem.

• Surprised 1

Another, not my fault, it's the GPS's fault stories.

Thai Woman Follows GPS and Ends Up Stranded on Small Bridge in Phrae

A Thai woman found her car precariously perched on a small bridge over the Yom River yesterday evening following GPS misguidance.

The incident occurred at approximately 5:40 PM on January 28th when Mr. Makun Inchan, a 38-year-old resident of Wiang Thong in Phrae province, attempted to cross the old suspension bridge over the Yom River and was surprised to find a white Honda City sedan stranded on the bridge.

image.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Surprised 1

15 hours ago, maipenrai said:

In my prime, I climbed tall wooden poles with climbing hooks, and also metal towers free-hand up to 400' and in the middle of winter sometimes - do I miss it, hell no...we never thought much about it at all until the safety rules got stringent and then our employers simply handed all of that work off to contractors, who in some  cases were a lot worse safety-wise than we had ever been, lol...

Exactly the same for us now. All our tower rigging and pole work is done by a contractor. Though I will admit they do very good work.

• 2 weeks later...

This was an incredibly stupid trick, looping a sailplane near ground level. The video was posted four years ago. Wonder if the pilot is still alive. There are old pilots and bold pilots but... no old bold pilots.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 3

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

This was an incredibly stupid trick, looping a sailplane near ground level. The video was posted four years ago. Wonder if the pilot is still alive. There are old pilots and bold pilots but... no old bold pilots.

The actual event took place in 2017 at an airport open day.

The same glider also took part in this event in 2014.

image.png

For that event the pilot was Nejc Faganelj

S5 is the registration prefix for Slovenia.

Nejc Faganelj appears to still be around. Appears to be a test pilot for Pipistrel. A Slovenian manufacturer of electric aircraft.

If it appears that there are a lot of "appears" it's because I don't read Slovenian.

YouTube link to the wing walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIk0XzAfbs0

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

17 hours ago, fygjam said:

The actual event took place in 2017 at an airport open day.

The same glider also took part in this event in 2014.

image.png

For that event the pilot was Nejc Faganelj

S5 is the registration prefix for Slovenia.

Nejc Faganelj appears to still be around. Appears to be a test pilot for Pipistrel. A Slovenian manufacturer of electric aircraft.

If it appears that there are a lot of "appears" it's because I don't read Slovenian.

YouTube link to the wing walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIk0XzAfbs0

The Blanik is a very easy to fly and durable sailplane. Our soaring club had the L-23 model as our main student training plane. The pictures I posted last week was of the L-23 sharing a thermal with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I must be getting old😟

It took me a while to figure out that what you Americans call a sailplane, we call a glider in the UK. 😉

Glider is used in the US as well, but the preference is for sailplane as it's a more accurate description of how the plane operates. We don't just get towed up to attitude only to glide down to a landing. By working thermals, ridge winds or mtn waves we can stay up for hours. Like a sailboat, we sail along with the wind, but in three dimensions.

I think that’s how gliders work in the UK as well, using thermals etc mate. 👍

Just that I’ve never heard them called sailplanes before. Always fancied a flight in one when younger, as there’s a glider club a couple of miles away from me, but not so sure I’d have one now. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunDon said:

I think that’s how gliders work in the UK as well, using thermals etc mate. 👍

Just that I’ve never heard them called sailplanes before. Always fancied a flight in one when younger, as there’s a glider club a couple of miles away from me, but not so sure I’d have one now. 🤣

Go for it. Never too old to go for a sailplane glider ride.

Found this video linked to on my old soaring club, Wisconsin Soaring Society. Proud to say I was one of the founding members of the club and great to see they're still active and going strong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Go for it. Never too old to go for a sailplane glider ride.

Found this video linked to on my old soaring club, Wisconsin Soaring Society. Proud to say I was one of the founding members of the club and great to see they're still active and going strong.

I went up for a sailplane ride in Palm Springs many years ago, was very enjoyable - the plane was equipped with a wing-tip camera and I have photos of myself in the cockpit but unfortunately not on this laptop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, bob lt said:

That made me feel extremely uncomfortable just watching.

As a teen I have worked construction up to 380 ft on scaffold and planks, now I don't even like cleaning first floor (upstairs) windows.

image.png    

Cooling tower - nuclear or coal power plant. Seems the crane is missing.

I don't see many new build cooling towers these days, but that could change if nuclear makes a big comeback.

8 hours ago, Zambo said:

Cooling tower - nuclear or coal power plant. Seems the crane is missing.

I don't see many new build cooling towers these days, but that could change if nuclear makes a big comeback.

No cranes used then, started in 1967 A ring of scaffolding about 50 ft deep around the working area and a hoist to raise workers and cement. Cement tipped into wheelbarrows and moved/poured by labourers. On my site, towers were384 ft high and the main chimney was 650 ft.

All 6 towers have now been demolished, coal fired boiler gone, only gas fired remaining.

Edited by bob lt

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

No cranes used then, started in 1967 A ring of scaffolding about 50 ft deep around the working area and a hoist to raise workers and cement. Cement tipped into wheelbarrows and moved/poured by labourers. On my site, towers were384 ft high and the main chimney was 650 ft.

All 6 towers have now been demolished, coal fired boiler gone, only gas fired remaining.

Yes agreed for the rebar and concrete, winch and hoist system still used today for chimneys. I guess there would have been some type of boom or crane to lift the formwork to the next level (could be jacks if slipform, but i doubt that shape could be achieved by slipform back in 1967). I expect gas will be the main power source until either nuclear kicks in again or renewables prove they are reliable enough.

15 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Next time nuclear kicks in it will be fusion, not fission, so completely different cooling requirements.

That's quite optimistic, i hope you're right.

The method of generating heat from nuclear fusion is certainly very different from coal or gas fired power plants which are burning fossil fuels to heat water in boilers. But fusion will still need a working fluid to drive a turbine of some sort. That could be as simple as using the fusion reactors to heat water in similar boilers to drive steam turbines as seen at todays thermal power plants. 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Next time nuclear kicks in it will be fusion, not fission, so completely different cooling requirements.

For the last 50 years or se, Fusion power is only 10 years away.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

For the last 50 years or se, Fusion power is only 10 years away.

I know, I've only been hearing that for about 55 years. But with recent break throughs, I expect it within 20 to 30 years. I won't bet on anything in that regard within 15 years.