Stupid Human Tricks

forcebwithu

• 2 weeks later...

Sad...

. . .

Australian driver accused of killing 2 in Bay Area crash forgot what side of the road to drive on

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/san-mateo-county-fatal-crash-australian-driver-18362108.php

An Australian race car driver, accused of causing a crash that killed a couple on a narrow and curving roadway in La Honda, has surrendered his passport while awaiting trial for vehicular manslaughter.

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe announced that Luke Nardini, 31, was required to surrender his passport as part of a bail arrangement announced Monday. Nardini is being held at the county jail while awaiting trial on two counts of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter citing negligence in the Sept. 1 accident that killed Jack and Linda Davis, a La Honda couple both in their 80s.

Wagstaffe said Nardini told officers at the scene that he had been driving on the wrong side of the road because he had momentarily forgotten that he was not in Australia, where traffic lanes are opposite those in America. Wagstaffe said the charges did not rise to felony manslaughter because there was no intent involved. ...

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, biggles said:

I regularly ride a motorbike in Thailand and the Philippines, (oppisite side) and it can be confusing at times. But I am 77 and he is only 31! Maybe he is not a regular visitor to the USA. 

Sitting on the other side of the car should have reminded him where he was. I wouldn’t be if he was just enjoying his skills as a racer on a winding road and crossed the center in a curve without anticipating oncoming traffic.

After many years living here and adopting to drinving on the wrong side of the road, I'm very careful not to get behind the wheel of any vehicle on my visits back to the States until I'm full recovered from jet lag. The few times I ignored my own good advice I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road as soon as I pulled out into the road from the driveway of the house I was staying at. I can fully appreciate how habits can take over when you're not at the top of your game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

After many years living here and adopting to drinving on the wrong side of the road, I'm very careful not to get behind the wheel of any vehicle on my visits back to the States until I'm full recovered from jet lag. The few times I ignored my own good advice I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road as soon as I pulled out into the road from the driveway of the house I was staying at. I can fully appreciate how habits can take over when you're not at the top of your game.

It's real easy to do, especially when you first drive off. I am in France at the moment and when we moved lakes my mate took off down the wrong side of the road and he used to be a police pursuit driver. A lapse in concentration and a bit of bad luck and it's all over.

. . .

Back story...

Mysterious shack on Bay Area cliff may be inhabited by hermit

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/cliff-shack-san-mateo-video-hermit-18367186.php

... "Casillas said he has been aware of the shack “for at least 10 years,”  but has never met its occupant and doesn’t know who he is. He believes that man, who he describes as a hermit, still  lives on the site.

“We were aware there was something down there, but we didn’t know whose it was or whose property it was on,” he said. “It’s in a dangerous location that is really not accessible.”

Casillas said that a few years ago, the trust asked the State Lands Commission, the likely controller of the cliffside land, to clarify who owned the site. But the commission never responded, he said.

The person who built the structure, he said, is the kind of person who wants to be left alone.

“So we’ve done that,” he said. “We weren’t bothering a person who wants to be a hermit. We know someone’s been there but we just don’t know who it is.”.."

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

For some reason i can't view Matt, when i click on the link i just get a blank :default_ermm:

Could be you have some type of extension on your browser that blocks some sites.

I use Chrome and while this X (formerly known as Twitter - and how much longer do we have to add that bit of nonsense) video works fine, FB posts are blank after the first couple on a page. I traced that back to the High Contrast extension I have installed that hasn't been updated in years as the culprit.

• Thanks 1