Wheels Up.........how many days till ?

Binlid

2 hours ago, Binlid said:

122 days, very excited to be flying on the A380 again.

1684959349157.jpg

We flew on one last year to Singapore , absolutely brilliant trip. Roomy, comfortable, brilliant Cabin Crew and a magic carpet ride all the way. I also stole numerous teaspoons embossed with the logo on them.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AJSP said:

Used to like all those particularly in my early Pattaya days when I was single. The excitement of an upcoming trip

I get asked by friends, particularly female ones,  if I am excited about my upcoming trip - I reply that I am generally more nervous than excited because there are so many things that can go wrong between now and then; not that I am a pessimist but I have had last-minute screw-ups before - I don't relax completely until I view the snow-covered ground receding below me as the plane lifts off, which will be 27 days from today. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I get asked by friends, particularly female ones,  if I am excited about my upcoming trip - I reply that I am generally more nervous than excited because there are so many things that can go wrong between now and then; not that I am a pessimist but I have had last-minute screw-ups before - I don't relax completely until I view the snow-covered ground receding below me as the plane lifts off, which will be 27 days from today. 

I'm also nervous pre trip. my biggest worries are the things I've got little or no control over, such as a protest or accident on the way to the Airport, stuff like that. I even managed to break 2 metatarsals a week before flying a few years ago. That was touch and go and entirely not my fault.

I try to mitigate as much as possible nowadays, leave early for the airport etc. This reaped its own rewards a couple of years ago on our first trip post covid to the PI. Our flight was Singapore air leaving around mid day, the wife said we'll be fine leaving at 6, 2 hours to LHR, park up and happy days.

It turned out to be the busiest travel day of the year, I said we're leaving at 04:00 sharp. got to the M25 Junction at 0600 as it happens, and the M4 into LHR had been closed for roadworks, diverted into Slough, took a wrong turn but eventually ended up on the A4 into LHR. Queues outside T2 due to covid panic and general mayhem, but we got checked in early, through security and into Departures relatively easily. The relief once we sat down for an overpriced breakfast was palpable.

The flight was actually late due to the CC being caught in traffic outside the Airport.

Lesson learned, taken on board and I always leave early ever since.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Ditto me.

It's relatively easy to cope with any problems that might arise from arriving at the airport early. The same cannot be said of arriving late.

• Like 2

9 days for me , but will be 1 less coming 😞 1 of the gang passed away 2 weeks ago , only started coming last  xmas , only retired 7 months ago , was planning to move to Thailand . no 1 had heard off him for afew days , on our chat group, i said about sum1 to go round and check on him , sum1 son is a Policeman , they went round and found him on his chair , Heart Attack we think ? he already had two , last few yrs , a video was on my facebook today , of us last xmas eve in Scooters , 

• Sad 3

On 12/18/2023 at 1:00 AM, Butch said:

I'm also nervous pre trip. my biggest worries are the things I've got little or no control over, such as a protest or accident on the way to the Airport, stuff like that. I even managed to break 2 metatarsals a week before flying a few years ago. That was touch and go and entirely not my fault.

I try to mitigate as much as possible nowadays, leave early for the airport etc. This reaped its own rewards a couple of years ago on our first trip post covid to the PI. Our flight was Singapore air leaving around mid day, the wife said we'll be fine leaving at 6, 2 hours to LHR, park up and happy days.

It turned out to be the busiest travel day of the year, I said we're leaving at 04:00 sharp. got to the M25 Junction at 0600 as it happens, and the M4 into LHR had been closed for roadworks, diverted into Slough, took a wrong turn but eventually ended up on the A4 into LHR. Queues outside T2 due to covid panic and general mayhem, but we got checked in early, through security and into Departures relatively easily. The relief once we sat down for an overpriced breakfast was palpable.

The flight was actually late due to the CC being caught in traffic outside the Airport.

I'm a bit phobic about getting to airports late I usually have about 2 hours to kill at swampy on my way home lol

26 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

I'm a bit phobic about getting to airports late I usually have about 2 hours to kill at swampy on my way home lol

Nothing worse than missing a flight.

Only happened to me once, when an internal flight from Phuket to Bangkok went tech after boarding and took off nearly two hours late. 

My flight from BKK had boarded and I didn't have time to get through security and immigration 

Ended up spending 2 nights in a designated hotel  but a least it was paid for by Thai Airlines and I was not charged for missing my onward flight to UK. 

Like others,I am never fully relaxed until arriving at my final destination.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Nothing worse than missing a flight.

Only happened to me once, when an internal flight from Phuket to Bangkok went tech after boarding and took off nearly two hours late. 

My flight from BKK had boarded and I didn't have time to get through security and immigration 

Ended up spending 2 nights in a designated hotel  but a least it was paid for by Thai Airlines and I was not charged for missing my onward flight to UK. 

Like others,I am never fully relaxed until arriving at my final destination.  

Totally agree, and there's nothing worse than that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that also says "what the f**k do I do now?".

Back in then 90's I missed a Gulf Air flight from Heathrow to Muscat. Zero help from the Desk, saying that I needed to book and pay a penalty for a later flight. Trouble is, it was an Omani Govt funded ticket, so I just agreed and bounced the cost to them. I had to spend a night in a hotel at my own expense and come back the next day.

I never heard anything back, which gave me the notion that next time I could arguably approach the desk, request a Business upgrade and bounce the cost again. Thus, on my next trip I did this, all was great until my Dad called one day going fucking mental because he had received and invoice for over 450 Omani Riyals for upgrade costs, as they had his payment details on file, took the surname and added 2+2 and got 450.

I kind of didn't do that again, ever.

• Haha 1

20 days now for me and I have already sourced a lilac coloured   mankini to wear at the poolside during the afternoons. 

The weather is miserable right now in the UK, my bones are aching a I can't wait to absorb the warmer climate, and nights of filth and degradation on the streets of Pattaya. 

Hotel and Ladycabs now booked. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

20 days now for me and I have already sourced a lilac coloured   mankini along with a butt plug to wear at the poolside during the afternoons. 

The weather is miserable right now in the UK, my bones are aching a I can't wait to absorb the warmer climate, and nights of filth and degradation on the streets of Pattaya, which hopefully will involve numerous homosexual encounters with like minded felching enthusiasts.

Hotel and Ladyboys now booked. 

Mate your spelling is atrocious, I've cleaned that post up for you a bit.

• Haha 1

Wish it was Thailand but my next trip is likely to be Prague in May. Will go with two good mates to celebrate knowing each other for 50 years, we met at work with BEA (British European Airlines) in 1974, I started 1973.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...