What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Had as lazy morning on the net researching places to stay the night in France with secure parking for my fishing trips.

Managed to resist watching the snooker and got off my ass to do some gardening.

Grass now cut and strimmed, dandelions dug out, pond filter cleaned and weeds removed from my front shingle.

The strimmer always makes my back ache, so I am resting for an hour before heading out for my walk.

I was going to go trout fishing tomorrow, but with almost a frost overnight and day time temps in single figures I have decided to pass.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Why can't you download Chrome?

I can but you get a warning that Microsoft S mode will be lost. From an article:

Windows 11S will allow you to install apps only from Microsoft Store. Since Chrome is not a Microsoft Store app, hence you can't install Chrome.

If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

Now I like Chrome but as I have been using this laptop for a year I am loathe to change it all presently. Supposedly there are a lot of safety features in Microsoft Edge that I will lose but I am getting close to saying, ;sod it; and change back to Chrome which I have always used.

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I can but you get a warning that Microsoft S mode will be lost. From an article:

Windows 11S will allow you to install apps only from Microsoft Store. Since Chrome is not a Microsoft Store app, hence you can't install Chrome.

If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

Now I like Chrome but as I have been using this laptop for a year I am loathe to change it all presently. Supposedly there are a lot of safety features in Microsoft Edge that I will lose but I am getting close to saying, ;sod it; and change back to Chrome which I have always used.

Sounds way too restrictive to me.

Windows machines have been in existence running third party apps for years with no issues. I am not a Windows expert so perhaps another BM can tell us why this is such an issue now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Packing,last night on rig after 4 weeks,15 minute helicopter flight to le harve,3 hour taxi to paris cdg,flight to heathrow then last flight to aberdeen,not looking forward to the taxi ride,its gonna be a long day,now will look into changing flight to thailand from sunday to friday or sat,every day counts.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Been up for a couple of hours after finishing my last night shift for four days this morning; yesterday it alternated rain and snow all day and night and this is the sight out of my office door at 0630 today, biggest snowflakes I have seen for years:

rsz_img_1842.jpg

Left work at 0645 and made the six-minute highway drive home and this is what my driveway looked like; my home is a couple of hundred feet higher in elevation than my workplace:

rsz_img_1844.jpg

But now I am happy to say that at 1430 pretty well all the snow that fell last night has melted away, but there sure are some big puddles out there! Forecast calls for sunshine and double digits later this week, I can't wait - we're picking up daylight every day and the sky is now starting to lighten shortly before 0500 and staying light until almost 2200...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Horizondave said:

8 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

I have a new laptop waiting for me on my return to the US next week. One thing I'm not looking forward to is dealing with the new look and feel of Win 11. Reading up on Win 11S I know that will be one of the first things I'll be turning off. Another is initializing the laptop and selecting for business use so I can avoid having to create a Microsoft account just to use the laptop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Binlid said:

Sat In Krabi airport having checked in for our flight to Don Mueang and then onwards to Sin City and our apartment for 11 days at View Talay 6.

I immediately thought of a song when I read your post but shall post it in the relevant section...

Can you guess what it is in the meantime ???

Clue:It is by Zed Zed Top !!!

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

...initializing the laptop and selecting for business use so I can avoid having to create a Microsoft account just to use the laptop.

I made a Micro$oft account when I had a business, such as for Skype.  They don't nag me and I've seen no other downside.  This is not a recommendation, just an observation.  YMMV, as always.

Here's an article that discusses this issue you may find interesting:  https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-microsoft-local-account/

Pertinent quote FYI (emphasis added):

"What you need to know about Microsoft accounts is that they do enhance the experience on Windows 11. If you sign into Windows 11 with your Microsoft account, that account is also added to system apps like the Microsoft Store, Mail, Xbox, and so on. It also lets you sync your settings across devices. This allows you to buy apps and movies from the Microsoft Store, for example. Without a Microsoft account, you also can't download free apps from the Store if they have an age rating that requires verification. That includes apps like Netflix and Spotify, due to the wide range of content available there."

• Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

I made a Micro$oft account when I had a business, such as for Skype.  They don't nag me and I've seen no other downside.  This is not a recommendation, just an observation.  YMMV, as always.

Here's an article that discusses this issue you may find interesting:  https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-microsoft-local-account/

Pertinent quote FYI (emphasis added):

"What you need to know about Microsoft accounts is that they do enhance the experience on Windows 11. If you sign into Windows 11 with your Microsoft account, that account is also added to system apps like the Microsoft Store, Mail, Xbox, and so on. It also lets you sync your settings across devices. This allows you to buy apps and movies from the Microsoft Store, for example. Without a Microsoft account, you also can't download free apps from the Store if they have an age rating that requires verification. That includes apps like Netflix and Spotify, due to the wide range of content available there."

Thanks for the additional info.

Just checked my Skype account and it has no Microsoft account associated with it. The probable reason is I started using Skype within a year or two of when it was first released, and many years before Microsoft bought them out.

The only MS product I still use is Outlook 2010. How's that for an outdated app. :default_biggrin: The only reason I still use Outlook is it does what I want for an email/calendar app. I also never upgraded past 2010 because I can't stand the changes MS made to the UI. Skype is another good example that once had a fairly clean UI, until the MS design team decided they knew better than their customer base what a good UI should look like.

Nothing else MS offers is of interest to me, other than their OS, so thus the desire to avoid having a laptop associated with a MS account.

35 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Thanks for the additional info.

Just checked my Skype account and it has no Microsoft account associated with it. The probable reason is I started using Skype within a year or two of when it was first released, and many years before Microsoft bought them out.

The only MS product I still use is Outlook 2010. How's that for an outdated app. :default_biggrin: The only reason I still use Outlook is it does what I want for an email/calendar app. I also never upgraded past 2010 because I can't stand the changes MS made to the UI. Skype is another good example that once had a fairly clean UI, until the MS design team decided they knew better than their customer base what a good UI should look like.

Nothing else MS offers is of interest to me, other than their OS, so thus the desire to avoid having a laptop associated with a MS account.

I know we leave our print everywhere these days but Microsoft seem to be well and truly tailing me. Yesterday I looked up Premier Inn and booked myself a room at Gatwick for July. I then go on to Facebook an hour later and immediately the first advert is for Premier Inn. 

Of course my confirmation from Premier Inns comes to my Hotmail account which concerns me that my emails are being noted (hopefully just where it has come from rather than content).

I had never had Microsoft Edge Windows S mode before and will not buy similar again. I have had a lot of problems over the last year, my previous laptop on Chrome lasted me 09 years without any real dramas until the hard drive gave up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I know we leave our print everywhere these days but Microsoft seem to be well and truly tailing me. Yesterday I looked up Premier Inn and booked myself a room at Gatwick for July. I then go on to Facebook an hour later and immediately the first advert is for Premier Inn. 

Of course my confirmation from Premier Inns comes to my Hotmail account which concerns me that my emails are being noted (hopefully just where it has come from rather than content).

I had never had Microsoft Edge Windows S mode before and will not buy similar again. I have had a lot of problems over the last year, my previous laptop on Chrome lasted me 09 years without any real dramas until the hard drive gave up.

We are definitely having our orders and emails monitored more that what we think. I don't smoke, so have no need for a lighter other than for burning stuff or blobbing nylon when I make specific rigs for fishing.

Last week I bought some fishing bits and bobs which included a little clipper lighter. I had not searched for it, just added it to my cart on the website.

This week I am inundated with adverts for lighters on Facebook every day!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

"I know we leave our print everywhere these days but Microsoft seem to be well and truly tailing me. Yesterday I looked up Premier Inn and booked myself a room at Gatwick for July. I then go on to Facebook an hour later and immediately the first advert is for Premier Inn."

This is very likely to be tracking cookies from advertisers rather than any individual site.  I get almost none of that on my laptop, because I use a thing called "Privacy Badger".  https://privacybadger.org/

Highly recommended, although some sites will recognize it as an advert blocker and complain.

• Great Info 1

3:30 am, still awake watching footie but just taken a Barnsley chop out the freezer. It'll defrost in time for me to rub marinade into it before heading out for a walk later.

This time I paid extra (499/kg) for pre-cut and trimmed chops. 2 in a pack and really thick. I might stop off at the offie on my walk to buy a bottle of red at 08:00am 

• Like 2