What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Sweating out an all day power outage (maintenance). 

They said it would come back on at 1600 hrs. I was hoping it would maybe come back a bit sooner. But, I should know better. They will milk  it to the last friggen minute.

Next year I will be buying a small generator that can at least power one of the AC units.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Had a good day in the yard today - it was supposed to rain but turned out lovely instead until the early evening so I finally had a chance to pick up the rest of the leaves that mattered to me and took a full load to the local dump,  washed some windows, put a couple of machines away and did other odds and ends; I am on a diet for the next week in preparation for a medical test so I've decided to forgo the pubs as well for this period of time - weather forecast is promising some snow and -15C for Saturday so this may be the last week of autumn for us. 

You'll be clean as a whistle.

Then the next day back to a half pound of bacon and a 12 pack of Molson.  

55555 !

Just teasing you mate. Hope it all goes well.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Sweating out an all day power outage (maintenance). 

They said it would come back on at 1600 hrs. I was hoping it would maybe come back a bit sooner. But, I should know better. They will milk  it to the last friggen minute.

Next year I will be buying a small generator that can at least power one of the AC units.

You need a large battery. A very large, modern battery. But i guess not cheap enough yet to compete with a small generator.

Having a beer after a surreal failed attempt at opening a K Bank account. 

None of the staff could speak English but then I can't speak Thai🤷‍♂️

The highlight was the senior staff member showing me a translated question,  " Who do you follow in Thailand ".

Resisted the urge to say " Tottenham Hotspur, same as in England "

All very polite,  after the intervention of an English speaker they called up, understood I didn't have what was needed to open an account 

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Having a beer after a surreal failed attempt at opening a K Bank account. 

None of the staff could speak English but then I can't speak Thai🤷‍♂️

The highlight was the senior staff member showing me a translated question,  " Who do you follow in Thailand ".

Resisted the urge to say " Tottenham Hotspur, same as in England "

All very polite,  after the intervention of an English speaker they called up, understood I didn't have what was needed to open an account 

Not sure where you are at the mo, but a mate has just opened a Bangkok Bank account at the branch on 2nd road opposite soi 6 in pattaya. He's on a non o visa, and needed a cert of residency, and I think a copy of his visa. No insurance nonsense, just paid for the atm card.

Other branches of bkk bank in the location wanted 6000b plus for the insurance, which he has already got. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been waiting for a delivery of a new pressure switch for my boiler. It struggles to fire up after the pilot lights and the fan starts. There is a pressure switch to determine whether the fan is working and being 17 years old, I am guessing the internal diaphragm has lost a bit of flexibility. Once it has fired up and got some heat into the unit, it seems to work fine.

My problem will be when I shut the heating down to 8 degrees for my winter break, the likelihood is that it will fail.

So it has just arrived and after finishing my cup of coffee, I am going to strip the boiler down and attempt to replace the pressure switch. Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to take most of it apart first. If I cock it up, it's going to be a cold night. LOL

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Bugger that mate!

My joints seize up at +15C. I put a jacket and scarf on here at +20C !!

Haha too right. As a student in the UK i would have my shirt off in Morecambe catching some rays at +19C. Now I'm fighting the family to turn off the car aircon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Painter said:

Not sure where you are at the mo, but a mate has just opened a Bangkok Bank account at the branch on 2nd road opposite soi 6 in pattaya. He's on a non o visa, and needed a cert of residency, and I think a copy of his visa. No insurance nonsense, just paid for the atm card.

Other branches of bkk bank in the location wanted 6000b plus for the insurance, which he has already got. 

Thank you

I'm in Hua Hin but might shuffle to BKK,

I did chat with the very good people in the Immigration office at HH Bluport and they pointed out I'd need a certificate of residency to open a bank account given the supporting docs I had.

As I've not yet secured a permanent residece, realise I'm the idiot in the rooom. But fully understand the rules now!!

Last thing I want is an account with BKK bank. Stupid as I am expended some shoe leather in BKK and HH, and they do seem to be the bank with the biggest queues. 

No doubt if I was in Patts I could get this sorted easily, as your pal has done.

Can't help some folk😛

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thank you

I did chat with the very good people in the Immigration office at HH Bluport and they pointed out I'd need a certificate of residency to open a bank account given the supporting docs I had.

As I've not yet secured a permanent residece, realise I'm the idiot in the rooom. But fully understand the rules now!!

Last thing I want is an account with BKK bank. Stupid as I am expended some shoe leather in BKK and HH, and they do seem to be the bank with the biggest queues. 

No doubt if I was in Patts I could get this sorted easily, as your pal has done.

Can't help some folk😛

Can only speak for pattaya, but be aware that if you need to "borrow" the money from an agent to obtain a retirement extension,  agents can only work with bkk bank and not kasikorn.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Packing for my 9 night trip to Spain.

I fully intend to make up for the last two wasted years when my hip made me virtually housebound for much of the time.

So short haul (permitted) flight to Spain now and Thailand trip booked for the whole of March with every intention of a further trip later next year.

The only good thing to come from the last two years is I have built up a very healthy travel fund. I am not getting any younger so whilst my general health remains good I fully intend to make the most of the next two years..........at least! 😃

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thank you

Can't help some folk😛

I needed a residency certificate for a driving licence renewal; I was told by an agent that I wouldn't get one as I was on a 30 day visa exempt and I was staying at a condo for 9 days.

I went to the Immigration Office out of town in Hua Hin and was told, 'no problem'.

I received the certificate in 2 days and the driving licence centre accepted it without issue, even after looking through my passport. As long as you have a certificate, that is all the proof that the bank need for your acceptance for a bank account.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Or it could just explode and you end up looking like one of your sausages !!!

555555, I am very comfortable around electricity, steam and mechanical stuff, but I am very wary of gas. 

Hence I won't mess with the burner section. 

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, boydeste said:

An update to what should of been a fairly easy job.

The new pressure switch wasn't a direct replacement to the original. It came with an adapter bracket which meant that the bracket holding the original needed unscrewing from the base. These holes would then be used to bolt down the new bracket.

Now the boiler is 17 years old and those screws are not moving any time soon and to get on them properly,  the whole fan assembly needs to be removed. This would break the exhaust seal to the flu. I haven't got a replacement gasket or the heat sealant needed to put it back, neither do I want to risk it coming apart without a breakage.

Also the electrical connections to the pressure switch were corroded and wouldn't come off. These would have to be cut and remade for fitting to the new switch. 

I hatched a plan to cut the wires, shear off the bracket. Cut the heads off the screws. Araldite the new bracket in and fit new connectors to the cables.

Then whilst checking close up with a torch to make sure I wasn't missing a trick, I spotted an adjustment screw in the back of the pressure switch.

A Eureka moment, using a magnifying glass I could just make out a little d symbol and a + and - with an arrow. 

BINGO I could adjust the differential pressure needed to operate the pressure switch. A quarter turn to slightly lower differential and a test fire up was perfect. 

Everything is warm, so we will see how it performs in the morning after a cold night. If it's OK I will be happy to leave it over the winter.

I now have a spare switch and know what's involved if I still have to change it at a later date.

20231018_135140.jpg

The pressure swith is the black part on tge right.

20231018_135147.jpg20231018_150625.jpg

The adjustment screw to set the differential. 

20231018_143535.jpg

Good to hear you found an easy solution - these sort of jobs always turn out to be more involved than one originally thinks, especially when dealing with machinery that's been there for a long time...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Bugger that mate!

My joints seize up at +15C. I put a jacket and scarf on here at +20C !!

Gone native, have ye? Lol...I used to get a kick out of the girls on Beach Rd donning sweaters when the mercury dropped to 25C or below; later on in our winter -15C will be considered quite moderate. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Gone native, have ye? Lol...I used to get a kick out of the girls on Beach Rd donning sweaters when the mercury dropped to 25C or below; later on in our winter -15C will be considered quite moderate. 

I really don't know how you stand it mate, I would be out of there for at least 5 months of the winter, but I guess it's just what you get used to.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I really don't know how you stand it mate, I would be out of there for at least 5 months of the winter, but I guess it's just what you get used to.

Well, it's not so much the cold as the dark that gets to me - our cold is a dry cold, not the wet type that paralyzes parts of eastern Canada on occasion when big storms move in and dump a couple or several feet of heavy, wet snow overnight; I'm sure Golfingboy can relate to this. Our snow is so dry that you can blow a handful out of your palm like so much fluff; no, it's the boredom of very little daylight along with the cold making so many simple outdoor summer chores just so much more difficult and time-consuming - I am so glad that I don't have to work outside in it anymore, had enough of that - same goes for outdoor winter recreation - been there, done that. I fully intend to get out of here for as much of winter as I can, just like I used to before Covid f**ked everything up - the only thing really holding me back is my property and I intend to spend more time next year looking for solutions to that...

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

Then whilst checking close up with a torch to make sure I wasn't missing a trick, I spotted an adjustment screw in the back of the pressure switch.

A Eureka moment, using a magnifying glass I could just make out a little d symbol and a + and - with an arrow. 

BINGO I could adjust the differential pressure needed to operate the pressure switch. A quarter turn to slightly lower differential and a test fire up was perfect. 

Poor old Occam, you've got him spinning in his grave.

• Haha 2