What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

9 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Thanks, will be a good few days fishing with a mate. Lots of different species to go at.

Sounds good, I went barramundi fishing just outside Bangkok some years back. Was good fishing catching on lures, plenty of action

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 2:25 PM, boydeste said:

Just took my laundry to be washed by a cute little hottie. 140b, washed, dried and ironed while I had brunch.

Had to wait 2 hours, but time easily passed sat in a restaurant under a fan watching YouTube. 

It's a roasting 40 degrees here in Phuket, so I will take a larger bottle of water to walk the beach today.

It's supposed to be much cooler this time of year. The weather really is f***d up.

I shouldn’t complain as it's pretty dreary back home right now!

Weather around here, well heck just about everywhere, has been fcuked up. 

I now use how wet the back of my tshirt is when I return home from a bike ride as my weather information. Seriously

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Weather around here, well heck just about everywhere, has been fcuked up. 

I now use how wet the back of my tshirt is when I return home from a bike ride as my weather information. Seriously

It’s pissing it down in Lamai and I’m trapped in a bar. Nightmare!

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, boydeste said:

Done a lap of the beach and a litre of water. Fortunately there is a strong breeze off the sea today so it doesn't feel so punishing. 

Now in my usual rest place with a banana shake.

20231217_154133.jpg

A slight breeze can be worth it's weight in gold I have discovered.

One of the benefits of living near the coast.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, AJSP said:

Realising that London really has created an unwholly mess of architectural styles over the last decade or so. 

im no architectural purist despite working in the development industry but even I can see that the skyline has changed for the worse. 

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

That one building looks like a giant electric razor. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Bought this Nike puffa jacket recently from Sports Direct. Was half price, £85 instead of £170.

IMG_0722.jpeg

A Nike chap. Good choice young man. Indeed.

Sharp looking jacket also. I'm glad though you'll be wearing it, not I.    lol

👍

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, galenkia said:

My sister Jan is in the Princess Alice hospice in Esher, and the staff there are just brilliant.

Interacting with the health care staff who cared for my mom and my aunt during their final stages presented to me an inner gut feeling of respect, not just a thought. There is no higher level of respect and appreciation I have ever had for anyone above those ladies.

It was visceral. 

Witnessing their care, kindness and professionalism in what has to be incredibly difficult work left a big positive impression for me, during a time of deep sadness.

They actually helped me to regain my faith in humanity. I hold onto those memories, because there are days where faith with most things is difficult, at best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Glasseye said:

Interacting with the health care staff who cared for my mom and my aunt during their final stages presented to me an inner gut feeling of respect, not just a thought. There is no higher level of respect and appreciation I have ever had for anyone above those ladies.

It was visceral. 

Witnessing their care, kindness and professionalism in what has to be incredibly difficult work left a big positive impression for me, during a time of deep sadness.

They actually helped me to regain my faith in humanity. I hold onto those memories, because there are days where faith with most things is difficult, at best.

My sister Jan spent her whole life working for the NHS as a nurse, and around the last 25 years as an intensive care nurse.

I know a lot of her colleagues through her, and they really are the most amazing people.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

My sister Jan spent her whole life working for the NHS as a nurse, and around the last 25 years as an intensive care nurse.

I know a lot of her colleagues through her, and they really are the most amazing people.

I worked in a hospital and then in a major medical center during my early years (first six), ghetto and inner city areas. Much of my time was spent in the E.R.'s assisting those staff folks who handled everything from someone with a sprained ankle to a victim of a self inflicted gun shot.

Then later in life there were the direct personal experiences I previously mentioned with my mom and aunt.

It's beyond amazing to see, nothing comes close. High percentage of those folks pay a significant price within their souls every day. And then come back the next day and do it again. The related stress compounds itself over time, yet very few on the outside recognize the toll it takes.

They are remarkable, and the sacrifices they make are above all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Two of my mates I went out with on Friday have tested positive for Covid ... both feeling like cr@p ... I have a bit of a cold , but just tested myself and was negative , thankfully , as I was with my Dad yesterday 

I felt crap 2 days before I finally tested positive. In fact I felt better the day I tested positive.

Maybe another test over the next two days. Hopefully still negative.

• Great Info 2

On 12/17/2023 at 4:35 PM, AJSP said:

Realising that London really has created an unwholly mess of architectural styles over the last decade or so. 

im no architectural purist despite working in the development industry but even I can see that the skyline has changed for the worse. 

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

One or more of the companies in the conglomerate I worked for built most of the City of London Square Mile buildings after the war, when much of it was flattened by Hitler. 
The bastard. 🤬

Virtually all of Whitehall and the surrounding government buildings and all made of natural stone, but then the companies moved to make buildings that were made from Reinforced Concrete and Steel, like Nat West HQ etc, of which they built probably 25% of that type of buildings in London and other capital cities in the UK. 
Now it’s glass and steel frame that seems to be favoured, mainly because it’s lightweight and relatively cheap compared to stone or reinforced concrete. 

Stone buildings are extremely expensive to build and it’s only the largest international companies that can afford them now, sadly. 😟

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just finished preparing my application for our annual territorial senior's utility  grant - had to wait until the last minute to apply as you need to spend three months of the winter here to qualify, one reason I put my Thailand trip off until after the new year; this may be the last year I will qualify for it because I intend to be gone for the entire winter next year, but it's worth it as last year's grant came to just under  $1K CDN. I also already applied for and received my annual City utility rebate of $500, every little bit helps...

• Thumbs Up 4