Yes, we have no tomatoes

Nightcrawler

There is currently a major shortage of tomatoes and some other  vegetables in supermarkets throughout the UK.

I don't think people are panic buying yet, as there are not enough on the shelves, but one or 2 supermarkets are restricting the number of certain vegetables that can be purchased at one time 

By midday, only the most expensive varieties are left, if at all. 

Of course, tomatoes are technically a fruit. 

We had a similar thing going on with eggs recently which is ongoing, but for a different reason. 

I have one very lonely tomato in my chiller tray, waiting to be consumed in a bacon, lettuce and tomato toasted sandwich later on. 

Are we on the brink of a Great Tomato famine?😃

d4dd4d08433d91b2a17b75e019dfabbe.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

There is currently a major shortage of tomatoes and some other  vegetables in supermarkets throughout the UK.

I don't think people are panic buying yet, as there are not enough on the shelves, but one or 2 supermarkets are restricting the number of certain vegetables that can be purchased at one time 

We had a similar thing going on with eggs recently which is ongoing, but for a different reason. 

I have one very lonely tomato in my chiller tray, waiting to be consumed in a bacon, lettuce and tomato toasted sandwich later on. 

Went to Lidl in Ponterdawe, South Wales, yesterday and every shelve had stock, nothing missing. This was at 1000am.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Put some tomato sauce (ketchup) in ice cube trays and put it in the freezer. Then just pretend they are square tomatoes.

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, karon steve said:

I do not understand why supermarkets do not help the growers by paying them more to cover increased fuel charges and then pass that increase on to the consumer.

Food has been too cheap for far too long, it’s why farmers and growers are going out of business.

They cannot afford to pay the bills as supermarkets pay them nothing for their products so they can sell it cheap.

Price wars do nobody any favors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loads in Morrison's earlier, loads of all fruit and veg TBH.

Reports of their death are greatly exaggerated methinks, the media have been disgusting for years now, sensationalising and causing runs on everything from bog roll to petrol. 

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2