Don't want to use "contactless" payment? - change it easily.

Butch

I just found this out today that within my Barclays App, I can set my "contactless limit", it defaults at £100, so I set it to zero. Also, it is possible to turn off online spending and international transactions as well, and as far as I'm aware most other Banking apps allow this, in one form or another.

I'm not happy with stuff being sold to us as a "benefit" when all it does is benefit someone else. Spending with contactless is easier, but it also leads to more spending imo.

Also, as a precaution I used to wrap my card in tin foil inside my wallet, as an alleged scam is to pass a card reader with an automatic debit on it by your pocket, thus someone gets a contactless payment from you and you're unaware.

I'm beginning to resent being forced to pay by card everywhere, some places don't take cash, I picked this little "gem" up from The Sun online:

" At nearby bakery Bread Collection, assistant Jurate Senauaitiene agreed, saying: “We have always only taken cards rather than cash because of the hygiene factor.”

Now call me an idiot, but exactly how many people have died from an infection due to handling cash??. What a shower of cunts.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm with you Butch.

Every week I pop into my bank and pull out my weekly pension in crisp $100 bills.

Cash all the way and if they don't take it, I walk.

Obviously I use a card sometimes (e bay for example) or direct payments for bills etc.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Now call me an idiot, but exactly how many people have died from an infection due to handling cash??

Bishops and admirals get the clap from handling cash, everybody else gets it the regular way.

I have used cash exactly once in the past year and I wish the guy who ploughs my firebreak would take a bank transfer at least.

Every fortnight I log onto online banking and settle all my debts from my pension.

On the other hand I will not have a banking app on my phone.

Some of you would be very shocked how things are in the UK now.

It is almost the exception to pay with cash anymore, anywhere.

The very first pub I went into in Rose Street, Edinburgh did not accept cash and that was over two years ago.

• Sad 1

I only really embraced banking and payment apps a couple of years ago , but I love being able to pay with my phone , check my accounts and move money around easily 

I only visit a cash point at home a few times a year now as opposed to a couple of times a week when I was working 

on holiday its slightly different ...Spain you can use contactless in most places , Portugal is a bit further behind ... Thailand I visit the cashpoint every couple of days,  as cash is still king for Bars and nightlife , but every opportunity in restaurants, shops , hotels to pay electronically I take 

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Some of you would be very shocked how things are in the UK now.

It is almost the exception to pay with cash anymore, anywhere.

The very first pub I went into in Rose Street, Edinburgh did not accept cash and that was over two years ago.

Yes the same for me  ,

has changed my mindset towards tipping before I would say keep the change .

What does get me pissed off when a card reader

asks how much I’d like to tip , or if I wish to donate to charity 

I use the phone (Google Pay) to pay in U.K nowadays and prefer it all day long , can keep an eye on everything on the banking app.

I would 100% still prefer cash in LOS though especially around the bars I could only imagine the scamming going on using tap and go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gs joe said:

Yes the same for me  ,

has changed my mindset towards tipping before I would say keep the change .

What does get me pissed off when a card reader

asks how much I’d like to tip , or if I wish to donate to charity 

I've never been asked that ...

some restaurants can't take a tip electronically, so if service isn't included I leave a cash tip 

On 10/4/2023 at 11:50 AM, fygjam said:

On the other hand I will not have a banking app on my phone.

I imagine the taxi passenger in the article below is now wishing they dind't have the banking app on their phone.

My phone has to be unlocked with via a fingerprint or PIN. I'm guessing the the passenger left his phone unsecured, which is incredibly stupid thing to do, or not do.

Bangkok Taxi Driver Arrested for Stealing Passenger’s Forgotten Phone and Transferring Almost a Million Baht

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I imagine the taxi passenger in the article below is now wishing they dind't have the banking app on their phone.

My phone has to be unlocked with via a fingerprint or PIN. I'm guessing the the passenger left his phone unsecured, which is incredibly stupid thing to do, or not do.

Bangkok Taxi Driver Arrested for Stealing Passenger’s Forgotten Phone and Transferring Almost a Million Baht

Exactly!

Through years of trial and error I have determined that I'm more likely to lose my phone than a desktop PC.

I did lose my phone once, at one of the theatres in the Avenue. I did realise in time.

The cleaner had found it and put it in her locker for safe keeping. Obviously didn't trust the people on the ticket counter.

Luckily she hadn't worked out how to turn it off or I would never have found it. But the faint rendition of my unmistakable ringtone gave the game away.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Exactly!

Through years of trial and error I have determined that I'm more likely to lose my phone than a desktop PC.

I did lose my phone once, at one of the theatres in the Avenue. I did realise in time.

The cleaner had found it and put it in her locker for safe keeping. Obviously didn't trust the people on the ticket counter.

Luckily she hadn't worked out how to turn it off or I would never have found it. But the faint rendition of my unmistakable ringtone gave the game away.

I'm pretty careful about my privacy, but one area I made an exception is to allow Google to track my location. If I should ever lose my phone I should be able to use Google Timeline to figure out where I left it, and see if it's moved since.

Timeline also lets me piece together where I went the previous night if I should overindulge. :default_drink:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2023 at 12:50 PM, fygjam said:

I have used cash exactly once in the past year and I wish the guy who ploughs my firebreak would take a bank transfer at least.

Time to load my wallet for the firebreak guy again.

Went up to the ATM and put in my card.

Withdrawal, savings.

"This transaction will cost you $3, you financial institution may also charge a fee.

Bastards!

Years ago the banks started putting in ATM. Then they started closing branches 'cause "everybody uses ATMs nowadays so no need for bricks and mortar branches". So now they don't have any walls into which to install their ATMs. So the bank ATMs disappear and others step in to charge you a fee.

Bastards!

But there's another ATM associated with the bank where my money is. Try that one.

"Card error".

Back to the first ATM but a different card. I'll get my money no fee.

Press this button for $20, this button for $50, this button for $100...

No, I want the menu where I can specify the amount in a single transaction and get a mix of denominations.

Three withdrawals later I finally had what I wanted and no fees.

Bastards.

Fuk cash!

• Sad 2