Films and TV programmes that scared you as a kid ....

Stillearly

9 minutes ago, gs joe said:

we are controlling transmission. we will control the horizontal. we will control the vertical. we can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity for the next hour sit quietly and we will control all that you see in here you are about to participate in a great adventure.

name the show lots of us would of stayed up late to watch this,

Outer Limits. 

• Great Info 1

Well, I think I've forgotten most of the movies  I saw as a child  but a few stick in my mind, such as the aforementioned "The Birds" and of course the surprise scenes are the ones that really  get you, like the scene in Carrie also mentioned; one that does stick in my mind, although I believe I saw it as an adolescent, is a scene in "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" where a guy gets his head chopped off and the camera suddenly switches to his headless body twitching away:

Poster3_beyond_the_valley_of_the_dolls.jpg

• Like 2

I used to love the horror double bills they used to have on BBC2 , mostly old B&W films 

Lon Chaney as the Wolfman , Bela Lugosi as Dracula , Frankenstein etc , they weren't very frightening but I enjoyed them ... 

there was one that scared the bejesus out of my cousin though ... about giant bunnies 555

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I think apart from watching the Exorcist and the Omen trilogy the only other horror movie that genuinely scared me was that Blair Witch Project.... But I was an old bugger by then. 

That ending was something, especially for the low budget they had

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:37 PM, gs joe said:

Seen this at age 16 scared the shit out of most of the audience 

IMG_2472.jpeg

When this first came on HBO, the whole family sat down to watch it. My little brother got scared and went to bed. I gave him about twenty minutes to settle down and then I low crawled down the hall into his bedroom. I grabbed the bed leg and started shaking it. Gregg jumped up out of bed and ran down my back to get out of the room. I doubt he ever finished watching that movie.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, forqalso said:

When this first came on HBO, the whole family sat down to watch it. My little brother got scared and went to bed. I gave him about twenty minutes to settle down and then I low crawled down the hall into his bedroom. I grabbed the bed leg and started shaking it. Gregg jumped up out of bed and ran down my back to get out of the room. I doubt he ever finished watching that movie.

I remember seeing that at the Leicester Square Warner (I think) when it first came out in 1973.  It was a brilliant film and indeed scary. I remember the aisles had first aiders at the front and quite a few people left or required assistance through fainting.

Tell you what , put yourself into the shoes of a young fella, forced to watch this scene by his brother with the lights off and alone in the room. My brother ran a sideline business in video nasties and some very good quality alternative entertainment from Sweden and Germany. He managed to get his on pirate 6 months before it was released in the cinema.

Although it says "GI Joe" in the UK they were known as "Action Man" and I had 5 of them, my "squad". Although mine all had SLR's (of course) and for the purists among us, technically they (the SLR's) were early models with the wooden and not plastic furniture on them.

It matters not, I still managed to shit meself.

Either way, my "squad" was relegated to the bottom of the wardrobe for a week.

Hammer house of horror had a lot to answer for as well.

Especially this c**t.

It's a well written, if not very well acted episode with a twist.

In some ways, anyone choosing to drive a Morris Marina kind of deserves everything they get and stranded in British Leyland Hell.

Drivers Education the scare films, I think it was called "Highway of Death". There was this head on crash where they picked up a victim and her brains fell out of her head. 

This didn't faze my friend Craig, there was this accident he went around the accident at high speed on his motorcycle, the tow truck cable decapitated him.

• Sad 3