Phoning UK

coxyhog

AFAIK There's a prefix you can put prior to dialling the number which reduces it to a local rate call, but that was years ago mate and not sure if the carriers still use it and I can't recall what it was.

Otherwise it's free on What's app , LINE, Messenger etc, which won't allow a call to a UK landline but will allow to a mobile device with the relevant app installed and registered.

If you're on about calling the Care home, might be worth asking if the Matron / Senior Nurse on duty has a Company phone which has Messenger or Whats App and ask to get the details. At the same time see if you can ask the person doing the duty roster to find out who is working and when, and explain the situation.  I know some NHS Wards have this as an option.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Years ago I would put a 9 before the country code for a cheap rate. 

EG  00944 for the UK.

Don't know if that still works.

The other option is to use Skype, again I haven't used it for years. Worth doing a bit of research. 

Like Butch, I have only used Apps via the Internet to make calls the past few years.

Yes, I think both AIS and DTAC have relatively good costing schemes for calling abroad, just need to visit one of their shops to see what is best for you.

My mate in Thailand just has money on his Skype account purely for the need of calling UK phone numbers. Think that works out very cheap and is still a way to call any number within the UK, rather than using an APP based function such as Line, What's App or Messenger.

Obviously having good Wi-Fi is essential as well.

Edited by Horizondave

I use Skype which is available as an app on your phone and on a full computer like a laptop or desktop.

With a subscription you can have various options like a phone number local to the people you call - then they can call you in Thailand and only pay a local rate.

Also you can get packages for just a few quid a month that offer unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles - they are separate packages, I make many hours of phone calls to the UK every week and have been using it for more than 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Painter said:

from my dtac 004 44 plus number cost 1b per minute. It was only once, and for a few minutes...

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, I think both AIS and DTAC have relatively good costing schemes for calling abroad

AIS now charges for the number prefix that used to be free... AFAIK the DTAC 004 prefix is still free ..

• Great Info 1

Skype. Free if the other person also has an internet connection and is on Skype, otherwise they charge the same rate as a local call would cost. Just stick a fiver or tenner on your Skype account and dial away. 

• Like 1

All my telephone conversations these days both to and from Thailand are either using Line or Whats App.

I make a video call to Thailand most every day using Line  and it still amazes me how clear these calls are thanks to the wonders of modern technology.

Which reminds me..........I am late!

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Bloody right!

Having said that earlier I spent around £180 choosing our seats.

Won £175 on the UK Premium Bonds this month so decided to get the seats I wanted.

Dare not tell the missus because she'd be mega mad at me😂.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

www.mytello.com Have a lookie Coxy.

I always used to use the 004 prefix on my Dtac mobile but i can't ever remember getting a rate of 1bht per minute, it was more like 4/5bht, thats why i changed to Mytello.

I'll sign up with them when we get to Bangkok & I'm on a Thai sim.

Cheers for all the answers guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

All my telephone conversations these days both to and from Thailand are either using Line or Whats App.

I make a video call to Thailand most every day using Line  and it still amazes me how clear these calls are thanks to the wonders of modern technology.

Which reminds me..........I am late!

That's all well if you are calling person to person via an APP, but I think the OP wants to call a landline or business. Skype allows calls to genuine local landline or mobile numbers.

If he was calling his mum at the home it may be that they only receive calls on landlines etc., not apps.

Like you, I am in regular touch with my mate in Hua Hon in via Messenger or WhatsApp

On 2/13/2024 at 9:49 PM, Horizondave said:

That's all well if you are calling person to person via an APP, but I think the OP wants to call a landline or business. Skype allows calls to genuine local landline or mobile numbers.

If he was calling his mum at the home it may be that they only receive calls on landlines etc., not apps.

Like you, I am in regular touch with my mate in Hua Hon in via Messenger or WhatsApp

I just signed up to Mytello here in Thailand,0.36B per minute to a landline in the UK.First call was a free test call & I got my mum's care home OK.Just have to tell the staff to make sure my mum puts the phone to her right ear....she used to be a telephonist/receptionist and always used the phone with her left hand so she could write with her right....she's a bit mutt'n jeff in her left now.

Good call @Pumpuynarak,maybe see you in Korat soon?

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

i just use fb messenger for any call i need to make back to uk wwhich is just a sunday night.do a video call through to my mum so shes knows im ok through my sisters fb account as mum does not use internet at all.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thunder367 said:

i just use fb messenger for any call i need to make back to uk wwhich is just a sunday night.do a video call through to my mum so shes knows im ok through my sisters fb account as mum does not use internet at all.

This is the problem with having elderly parents, you can't make use of the free FB Messenger/Whatsapp.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:11 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

This is the problem with having elderly parents, you can't make use of the free FB Messenger/Whatsapp.

A few years ago when she was in her late 80's we bought mum an iPad & wherever I was I would give her a video call on Facetime every evening.Alas she stopped using it & now has trouble using a phone.One of her carers in the home is on Whatsapp so can call her & talk to mum on vid if she's on shift.Did that yesterday & it was the best I've seen my mum looking for some time so the home must be doing her some good.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I speak with mum 2 or 3 times a week. She uses Skype, and has done for probably 8 years.

Every so often she sends an email saying Skype has stopped working, as if I can click my fingers and make it work....  Fortunately it usually sorts itself out.

She also has Facebook, WhatsApp,  and even Line, but can't use them. Except.... she can talk to both by brother's teenage kids and my brother on WhatsApp....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, coxyhog said:

A few years ago when she was in her late 80's we bought mum an iPad & wherever I was I would give her a video call on Facetime every evening.Alas she stopped using it & now has trouble using a phone.One of her carers in the home is on Whatsapp so can call her & talk to mum on vid if she's on shift.Did that yesterday & it was the best I've seen my mum looking for some time so the home must be doing her some good.

Now thats a great result mate in every respect 👍

• Thumbs Up 1