Signs of stress - what are yours?

Butch

Bit leftfield this topic, but it's odd how stress affects all of us.

Up until my recent trip to Thailand I was under a fair bit of it, basically, lack of sleep, caring for my Dad and other pressures.

Some things stress people differently. For example, a mate at work stresses to hell and back when he is on nights and his Mrs and kids are alone at home. That's fair enough, but other blokes don't worry about that aspect of their lives, whereas another guy worries about being on site late, when me (as the Team leader) really doesn't mind at all if a bloke is 30 mins late as long as he gives a heads up so I can cover him. I've told him so, but he still worries.

But the signs. The signs.

I was getting "earworms" - songs that I couldn't get out of my head for hours and hours, which in turn stopped me sleeping. Also repetitive dreams, not the normal ones of @Nightcrawler dressed as a clown, chasing me through a playground with an erection, but other , really mundane stuff which kept repeating itself.

Then, a 3 week trip to Thailand where my sleep patterns went back to normal and the stress stopped instantly, because I couldn't do anything about it. The "earworms" stopped, the dreams stopped and the stress went to zero (although BP took a while to settle down).

I now recognise the signs and can action them accordingly. Does anyone else have signs of stress that they recognise and can sort out?.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Butch said:

But  Also repetitive dreams, not the normal ones of @Nightcrawler dressed as a clown, chasing me through a playground with an erection, but other , really mundane stuff which kept repeating itself.

I would say that was a fantasy rather than a deam but I am flattered that you may dream of me 😁😁😁 Do you wake up with an erection ? 😜

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

I would say that was a fantasy rather than a deam but I am flattered that you may dream of me 😁😁😁 Do you wake up with an erection ? 😜

Only when I'm with your Mrs. 🤣

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes she is rather lovely 😄😄

369caa08749eafe73c497793e29b58d7.jpg

sorry mate, only ever seen her from behind...

• Haha 5

Stress and anxiety related conditions are IMO the most challenging threats to our overall health. Period.

I recognized the necessity to make adjustments regarding stress management decades ago. Making the changes required major sacrifices, but I believe when looking at the big picture well worth it.

There will always be some degree of stress in our lives, it is natural and at reasonable levels even good for us. But, if not responsibly managed it will almost certainly lead to a number of painful health issues and a high probability of early death. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I have found that since retirement  my stress levels have gone down considerably.  That said  I believe that positive stress can be useful as a driver. Is there such a thing?  I think if I was a bit more stressed, I would be less sedentary. Stress and anxiety are closely linked and most often I find that things I most worry about are never as bad as first thought.   When I was working,there were days, weeks when my stress levels were through the roof and it used to zap energy.

Any stress I have these days is related to my health 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have found that since retirement  my stress levels have gone down considerably.  That said  I believe that positive stress can be useful as a driver. Is there such a thing?  I think if I was a bit more stressed, I would be less sedentary. Stress and anxiety are closely linked and most often I find that things I most worry about are never as bad as first thought.   When I was working,there were days, weeks when my stress levels were through the roof and it used to zap energy.

Any stress I have these days is related to my health 

Commutes, supervising cnuts at work and some friends/family members with their never ending problems were leading me to an early grave.

I'm glad I made the adjustments. Early retirement was the key.

Just got my head shaved in a nice little shop I go to. It was like nirvana.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I don't suffer with any stress nowadays, i just smoke a couple of spliffs and put on some music, job done lol

Unless the fridge is bare. That could cause issues....

55555 !

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

He showed his true colors and had a leaving lunch paid by the company but didn't invite me or my team 

Wow, that is low. The CEO should be knocking your ex-boss down a peg or two for creating a toxic work environment.

• Thumbs Up 3

From time to time, I suffer from GAD - General Anxiety Disorder. It means that I feel anxious, even though nothing particularly stressful is going on. I eventually come out of it, but (annoyingly) I can't work out what I do to make the change happen.

I've eliminated the obvious stressful things from my life - work, relationships (!), etc.

Feeling anxious all the time is unpleasant.

I recently came across quite a good video on anxiety/stress - 

Well worth watching if the subject affects or interests you.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Nickrock said:

My stress almost disappeared when I quite literally told my (prick ) boss to shove his job where the sun don't shine ( 6 weeks ago) I had to come back the next week to pass on a few ongoing projects 

He showed his true colors and had a leaving lunch paid by the company but didn't invite me or my team 

Many Many of the employees came and saw me after and all said what a sick  @@##@# he was even the ceo ( was originally from a maintenance trade)came and diplomatically said that was a shit show

Now I sit by the pool at hotel on soi lenkee and worry about what should I have for lunch and decide if I should visit that lbfm that was giving me the I need you look

Rock on mate !

And hold onto the thoughts of how you will one day pay the mother fcuker back.

24 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Rock on mate !

And hold onto the thoughts of how you will one day pay the mother fcuker back.

I have had small payback he had to ring me here in Thailand to try pick my brain 

Can't talk to you now I'm busy by the pool 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Nickrock said:

I have had small payback he had to ring me here in Thailand to try pick my brain 

Can't talk to you now I'm busy by the pool 

Tell him to transfer a few hundred dollars into your account and once that has been done you will answer his question.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Tell him to transfer a few hundred dollars into your account and once that has been done you will answer his question.

I did suggest a consultation fee and to make a appointment 

• Thumbs Up 2