Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

On 5/31/2023 at 12:16 AM, ChiFlyer said:

Ken Burns - Benjamin Franklin documentary

I plan out my video viewing by reading reviews, checking release dates for shows that I think I might like, and following threads such as this one. I had noticed that there was a limited series starring Michael Douglas about the life of Benjamin Franklin. As part of the associated research, I noticed that there was a 2 part 4 hour in total Ken Burns documentary about Benjamin Franklin (IMDB 8.2) that I had not seen.

Even though I like Michael Douglas, I decided to try the Ken Burns work first. I have watched only the first episode. Wow and double wow. It is available on IPT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_(film)

I love Burns' work. If you are an American there is so much depth with regards to topics such as "The Civil War", "Prohibition", "WWII", and others, that the documentaries are mesmerizing. Did you guys know when the US Income Tax started? It was instituted to offset the tax losses that would occur occur from liquor sales taxes that would be lost due to Prohibition. hmmm, we need a claw back. 🙂

I think our British friends, who speak a similar language, may be interested in this documentary as well. Franklin was a British loyalist until a few years before 1776, when he was villainized before Parliament because of outrage over the "Boston Tea Party". Give them RWNJs their due.

Maybe we are not as unique as we think at this point in time. 🙂

Finally got around to watching E02 tonight. A great Ken Burns work and there are so many. I am doing a double pimp once again.

If one does not want to make time to watch all of E02, go to about 52:00 in. It talks about Franklin's negotiations with France to support the war and subsequently his interactions with John Adams, not to mention Franklin's appreciation of the ladies. Adams (the second US president) was Franklin's opposite mirror image. Many called him a stick in the mud purist.

There is a miniseries that describes the life of Adams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(miniseries)

He was the practicality person that combined to make Franklin's visionary work as well as it did.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:37 PM, forcebwithu said:

Just finished watching SE01E01. After starting and stopping several other series that didn't grab my interest in the first couple of episodes, happy to have found one that has me hooked with the first episode.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:38 PM, Stillearly said:

I'm already on S2 , its brilliant so far 

Not available on Netflix.

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Not available on Netflix.

I get my entertainment via torrent downloads.

Edited to add: Doh, just realized you probably mentioned Netflix as that's the subject of this topic. My bad as Succession is an HBO series.

Edited by forcebwithu

56 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Edited to add: Doh, just realized you probably mentioned Netflix as that's the subject of this topic. My bad as Succession is an HBO series.

No probs mate, i only commented cos i was wanting to watch it and i searched Netflix for it only to be told it was'nt available.

''I get my entertainment via torrent downloads.'' Is that anything to do with the weather ? 55555

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

There had been some discussion earlier in this overall thread that it would be acceptable to include info about non-Netflix sources. I have been doing a lot of that. I think it is better to have one video materials thread as opposed to multiple ones to cover various sources.

If others disagree, let me know please.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

^ I think most of us have being doing the same , I should have put that the program I mentioned was on Sky Atlantic to avoid confusion 

Like @forcebwithu I grab most of my video entertainment through a torrent site. Many times I do not remember what the original source was. I will try and develop a little religion about identifying what the original source was.

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

There had been some discussion earlier in this overall thread that it would be acceptable to include info about non-Netflix sources. I have been doing a lot of that. I think it is better to have one video materials thread as opposed to multiple ones to cover various sources.

If others disagree, let me know please.

If any mod wants to amend the title then they are free to.

Maybe to ‘What are you watching on various streaming services’.?

@Nightcrawler

@john luke

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/31/2023 at 12:10 AM, Nightcrawler said:

Just finished watching Blood & Gold.

Thoroughly enjoyable, especially if you liked Inglorious Basterds. Not as good though

Movie_poster_for_Blood_and_Gold_(2023_film).jpg

Watched a few nights ago. Worth a watch for sure. 

• Nightcrawler changed the title to What Are You Watching (on Netflix or other streaming services)?.
5 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Good idea. 

Today, as I was bored shitless, I watched " Dirty big titted grannies" on Xhamster. Bloody wonderful! 

Was watching Ted 2 the other night…..reminds me of Ted discovering Wahlberg’s computer 😂😂😂

"Leverage," again.  I watch a few series I like, then when I've forgotten about them enough I'll watch again.  After a good review by Critical Drinker, I think I'll check out the movie "The Menu" soon.

45 minutes ago, tko said:

"Leverage," again.  I watch a few series I like, then when I've forgotten about them enough I'll watch again.  After a good review by Critical Drinker, I think I'll check out the movie "The Menu" soon.

Watched The Menu and thought it was decent.

• Thanks 1

Looking ahead -> there are two action/drama TV series that I like a lot that are starting new seasons at/near the end of June. Both are on Netflix, so there will likely be a full season dump on June 29th (June 30th for me as I live in Thailand).

The two series are:

The Warrior (S03) IMDB 8.4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5743796/

The Witcher (S03) IMDB 8.1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of both of these shows.

• Like 2