Gardening

Skalliwag

Forgot about this thread.😁😁

getting everything dialed here now.

Still not warm enough yet,but by Mid June we will be in great shape.

New greenhouse is finished today.
lots of Thai chillies,and peppers.

Also,som Thai watermelon.

All the starters are doing nicely in the small greenhouse up top,they are looking good.

Chicken coop is done and we get 6 new layers next week.

All in all,coming along nicely.

Gonna be pretty serious in July I reckon.

Will update in a months time,it should be off the scale then.

7ECB206D-E36C-4CF5-9092-95A3E867FA9A.jpeg

8A0988D0-A992-4874-B614-345C7F56EE0D.jpeg

804F2940-A111-4840-9B0B-6331D83EDF4F.jpeg

C3205FF3-64B9-4A9C-9ABE-9099B8D0C678.jpeg

A217E2E1-797C-4705-ACCD-96360E30AB48.png

A7AD88B5-C013-48C6-B599-2F95E369A946.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 5

The misses kept complaining that she had nothing to cut the grass around her roses, so i bought her a Bosch strimmer/brush cutter. But that was not good enough for her, so I went to Amazon and got her something that would put her on her knees for hours, at least then she would know what it was like for me these past 20 years. :default_bek035::default_fing23::default_fish:

BOSCH.jpg

71sLhKezOLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Busy couple of days around the homestead.

Brocolli and Cauli’s are doing well.

the green house is finished and the beans,peas,carrots are all coming along.

got my solar powered watering system hooked up.

Now it’s time to watch it all grow,.

This time next month will be very different.
mama is very content with the amount of Thai stuff this year.

Thai pumpkin,Eggplant,basil,watermelons.

Of course we have 50-60 chillies.
very diverse this year.

FD45EB2B-4409-4C95-A86A-0696777F802D.jpeg

2F24633C-FE0F-4C7F-A0DE-FC1C623AAAFA.jpeg

5B00F0FF-68A8-4205-BBB5-6C54130A1BEB.jpeg

597F6C26-E505-4296-A5D3-E190270DC3CD.jpeg

DC86A9C3-34A4-4BAA-AA3E-B042C9A684E1.jpeg

318485B3-ECF8-4E31-87DC-C57599CCACA8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

…back when I was “Beginning my Thai Garden”

About 8 years ago, I bought my first condo in Thailand.  It had a nice sunny deck, but since I spent no more than 3 consecutive months at any given time in Thailand, I didn’t have the opportunity to grow my own garden on my deck. 

A few years back, I had my first full-time job opportunity in Thailand and finally had the opportunity to have a garden on my deck.  I definitely had no experience gardening or any idea how to set-up a garden, but down the road, I learned a lot fairly quickly

• Youtube

• Asked my cleaning lady & my secretary

• Trial and error

Although there are pros and cons of a garden on a stand alone house vs a condo, as a newbie, setting-up my garden on my deck was the perfect size and task at hand.  I think it was a good learning experience.  I will probably buy a house someday in Thailand and I am confident that whether I have a full garden or simply use a raised flatbed garden, I won’t have too many issues. 

So, when I first started my garden, at my condo in Thailand, I was lucky that there were a number of free pots and a few plants and supplies on the back side of our condo building….stuff other people didn’t want anymore.

I grabbed a few pots and kept the dirt that was already in the pots and brought them up to my condo. 

I then bought some seeds from a garden shop in town.  (when you’re on 2nd road, heading away from walking street, towards Jomtien, when you reach the main intersection before going up the hill to Jomtien, there are 3 thai garden shops in the area.

So, I bought some green onion, chives, tomato, basil, squash, chili/pepper, cilantro seeds.  I took the seeds right out of the package and put them into the pots on my deck. (at that time, I didn’t know about pre-germination tricks)

After a couple of weeks, I had about 10% of my pots with little sprouts coming up….the other 90% were not growing. 

I came home for lunch one day and ran into my cleaning lady and as we were talking out on the deck, she made the comment that most of my pots did not sprout.  She told me that the dirt was not good.  So, the next day, I went to one of the garden shops down the road and bought some soil in the white mesh bag.  It was a mixture of dirt and it had some small coconut husks. 

(…being a new gardener, I had no idea about soil/dirt.  I didn’t realize until later on that the dirt sitting in the old pots were super dried out and probably out of nutrients and also had poor drainage. 

I did not know that top soil/house garden soil was different from raised flower bed soil which was different from potting soil.  I learned later on the different types of soil and also different stages of growing.)

So, I replanted another set of seeds again and had a little bit more luck, but the dirt that comes in the white mesh baggies still wasn’t the greatest soil.

One day while I was on a jogging around Big Buddha Hill, I came across a Thai guy selling bird pepper plants and few other kinds.  I took a look at the plants and he asked me if I wanted to buy some plants.  I told him yes, but I was a few blocks away from my condo.   So, he told me to hop onto the flatbed portion of his vehicle and he would drive me back to my place.  I ended up buying a few different kinds of pepper plants.  It was nice to have plants that were well past the sprouting stage and ones that were already producing a few peppers. (I did learn later on… after the # peppers started to slow down, that my potted plants needed more nutrients in order to keep the high level of peppers that it had at the beginning.)

The secretary at our office would occasionally come by my condo to drop off paperwork and supplies.  During one of her stops, she commented on my garden.  I told her I was having problems growing my seedlings. 

She suggested I soak my seeds overnight, approx. 12-24 hours, but no more than 36 hours.  It helps with germination.  (…these days I either soak or use a damp papertowel in a zip log bag)

She also suggested that I start my seedlings inside in tiny peat pots.  I had arrived into Thailand at the hottest time of year.  Most of the types of veggies & herbs I was trying to grow, tended to germinate better at temperatures around 70-85 degrees….not the current 95-105 at the time. 

So, I got some jiffy peat pots and planted a new crop and kept the starters inside where it was a tad cooler.  (btw, you can order jiffy peat starter pods on Lazada).  My secretary told me that once my seedlings were big enough to transplant into larger pots, that I should use better soil, specific for potted plants.   She said she will bring some to my condo next week. 

So, the following week, on the weekend, she shows up with actual potting soil.  It looked a lot better than the types of soil I was using before and had better drainage and nutrients.  She came over with 3 other thai people and they were out on my deck taking care of the soil, replanting the first set of seedlings into pots, setting up tiered stacked shelving to help with spacing and sunlight.  She had fertilizer specific to the type of veggies I was trying to grow and told me how often I should add the fertilizer and when to top off nutrient rich soil onto my pots.

My different kinds of peppers were doing very well.  I was growing 3 different kinds of tomatoes – beef steak, smaller cherry like tomatoes and roma tomatoes.  I made sure to use the tomato specific fertilizer to help grow and keep my tomato plants healthy.  My oregano and mint were growing without issues, but my cilantro and basils weren’t being controlled properly.  My cleaning lady showed me how to pinch back my cilantro so it doesn’t start flowering.  She showed me how to cut back the basil plants to keep them more bushy and stop it from flowering. 

I was using the smaller tomatoes for my salads and for snacking.  I used the bigger beef steak tomatoes for salads and sandwiches and used the roma tomatoes for making fresh salsas and marinara sauce.  I used my cilantro for my salsas and my carne asada marinade.  I used my basil for making sauces and for pesto recipes.  I used my bird peppers for my thai dishes and the other peppers for my salsas and for my fire roasted recipes. 

As my squash and other leafy veggies were coming in, I noticed mold/fungus growing on the leaves.  My cleaning lady grabbed some soap from the bathroom and added water and washed my big leafy plants.  I was learning quite a bit on the fly…..With the help from the two ladies and some trial and error, things worked out alright by the end of my first year.  I went from not knowing anything to learning the basics pretty quickly. 

I’m thinking about buying another property in Chiang Mai or Udon Thani.  Once I do, I will probably use Lazada to buy fresh seeds (learned that the seeds I bought from the garden shops were probably old seeds that had been sitting around a long time.)  I might buy my seeds back in the states from places that sell only fresh seeds and are known to germinate more easily and ones that are more resistant to diseased and bugs.  I will buy my Jiffy peat pots on Lazada and start my indoor seedlings after I soak my seeds prior to planting.  After seedlings are at the right height, I will transplant into larger pots using the proper soil.  And in order to keep my tomato plants and other veggies happy, I will use the proper plant food for each type of vegetable. 

…ohh btw, so during one of my visits to the local garden shop, I was talking to the daughter of the father who runs/owns the shop.  I told her that certain seeds were not growing for me…..She spoke thai to the father/owner and he took the seeds packets from my hand.   I was regularly coming by to buy more pots, supplies and plants….and he told me that he’ll let me know when the seeds turn to plants and are ready to take home.   So over the course of a few months, I was given back my seeds/that were now fully size plants.  I only had to pay for the dirt/pot…he grew the seeds for me for free…maybe a bit cheating, but much easier to take care of just the plant. 

Moving Forward -  It was a good learning experience growing from seeds, but a bit more hassle.  I think anytime I can buy the plant I will do so.  Regarding the proper equipment -  soil, fertilizer etc… although it’s Thailand….these days with Lazada, very easy to get/buy all the items you need to have a successful garden.  And with youtube, plenty of videos to help you grow a successful garden. 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

...I start off by buy new seeds.  I usually buy the seeds that state “better/faster germination and disease bug resistant...not sure if its true, but wth.  I buy proper soil.  I use different kinds of fertilizer for my different kinds of veggies.  Pretty much everything is available on Lazada or ask your local garden shop

And anytime I don’t know something or have a question, i can easily find it on the web or youtube 

7F916588-D1CA-4727-8730-B732063947E5.jpeg

A87CF236-289F-47D2-99CB-5B803FF74884.jpeg

Edited by Sea-Hawks
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2

14 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...I start off by buy new seeds.  I usually buy the seeds that state “better/faster germination and disease bug resistant...not sure if its true, but wth.  I buy proper soil.  I use different kinds of fertilizer for my different kinds of veggies.  Pretty much everything is available on Lazada or ask your local garden shop

And anytime I don’t know something or have a question, i can easily find it on the web or youtube 

7F916588-D1CA-4727-8730-B732063947E5.jpeg

Thanks for the great write up on your gardening experience. Some very good info in your post. My lady has quite the garden, but I've not seen her use the Jiffy pots. I'm going to order and surprise her with some. Thanks for the tip on those.

• Like 2

Almost end of May and the weather has been pretty typical ,some good days,some rain.

June is when we really start to get going,and we are well situated.

pumpkins are the old Queensland blues from seed stock I brought back from Aussie.

The Thai f**k thong,is struggling,but will perform when it gets hotter.

Peas ,beans and carrots are doing great,and the cauliflower and broccoli are doing fantastic.

Ive topped the onions and garlic,that I planted in the fall,they will start to send all of their energy to the bulbs,should be ready for July.

Peppers are in the hothouse and I’m just waiting a week,to load everything else.

My  neighbour is a 5 year old blond haired blue eyed little girl,that waits at the fence for me everyday,to come out to water.She insisted on her own pumpkin bin,and even made a sign,to let everyone know they are hers.Funny kid,very bright.

All in all,so good so far.Will be nice to start the harvest.

Cant wait to have enough to start juicing again.

E35BB6BB-E82E-4FCF-8508-B0C677BC2BF0.jpeg

A6A6BCDE-E906-4226-8033-F216FA6B6D5D.jpeg

652F011D-18A9-4ED9-BB10-A36BA74634CA.jpeg

7B317874-C892-48E4-911F-20C42A059BC0.jpeg

71069647-1E4C-471C-912C-7B40CA86B806.jpeg

C8B8A276-6812-4CCF-8FA3-8CD98F68A847.jpeg

6524E6F4-CCA0-49AB-8831-6AEDA418DBC0.jpeg

CCABF49B-C0D7-4BC0-8857-005EA66D8765.jpeg

6C47915C-D783-4E58-8734-3E57D3F97C95.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 5/10/2020 at 9:08 PM, forcebwithu said:

Thanks for the great write up on your gardening experience. Some very good info in your post. My lady has quite the garden, but I've not seen her use the Jiffy pots. I'm going to order and surprise her with some. Thanks for the tip on those.

...btw, I saw on a later/newer post someone who reminded us of the egg carton trick.  I think many of us did it that way in elementary school projects.  It does work well and cheaper.  

Some recommendations on the egg carton/free method - 

- Taka a ball point pen and poke a hole at the bottom of each egg compartment 

- Use good starter/germination soil or at the very least use potting soil mix 

- use half an egg shell to hold your soil

- use your ball point pen and poke a hole into bottom half of your egg shell (easy to do if you set your half egg shell with opening facing you, place the ball point inside while having a paper towel under your egg shell) 

- But, before you add soil to your half egg shell, sprinkle a pinch of used coffee grounds onto the bottom of your egg shell  

- Add soil, add 2-4 seeds per section/half egg shell. Prior, you soaked seeds for planting 12-24 hours (but no more than 36 hrs), water with a spoon, water but dont over soak.  

- after draining excess water from egg shell/egg carton, place in a warm location (thailand - under 75 degrees) and away from direct sunlight. 

- thin out seedlings and then eventually repot while hardening plants with gradual exposure to sunlight 

• Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

pumpkins are the old Queensland blues from seed stock I brought back from Aussie.

6524E6F4-CCA0-49AB-8831-6AEDA418DBC0.jpeg

looks great!  

Unfortunately, my pumpkin plants picked up fungus on the leaves and I am now spraying the leaves with baking soda/water mix. 

I might order actual fungus liquid to have at hand next time. 

Thanks for sharing the picks.  I think I almost enjoy plant garden pics about as much as pics of the birds, lol. 

8 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

looks great!  

Unfortunately, my pumpkin plants picked up fungus on the leaves and I am now spraying the leaves with baking soda/water mix. 

I might order actual fungus liquid to have at hand next time. 

Thanks for sharing the picks.  I think I almost enjoy plant garden pics about as much as pics of the birds, lol. 

Thanks,sucks about the pumpkins.Never heard of that to be honest.

Have has some rust on my raspberry leaves and have had to cut them off.Will see if it harms production.

My pumpkins are on fire .Almost doubling in size every two days.

1 hour ago, Skalliwag said:

Thanks,sucks about the pumpkins.Never heard of that to be.

My pumpkins are on fire .Almost doubling in size every two days.

....I’ve had the white stuff on leaves at my condo by the ocean as it was like a double dosage of humidity. 

And now have the brown kind on the pumpkin plants    

It can be a bit trickier here in Thailand due to high temperatures and high humidity 

81B4974A-978E-483E-A5F1-1078E526A919.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Damn .. some good info on this thread ...

I have tried for years to grow good .. big .. tomatoes here but I have always failed ... not sure what the problem is .. never able to find an answer

...had the same problem when I first started out.  Some suggestions:

1.  Seeds - start by buying fresh seeds. Try to find varieties that grow best in your region 

2.  Plant the seedlings indoors to start. Can use jiffy peat pods or red keg cups filling with either potting mix or seed starter soil.  Don't over water  or under water

3.  If you have a sunny window still, let your starters grow at least 2-5 sets of true leaves before taking outside.  

4.  Once ready to go outside, whether you plant in the ground, raised bed or larger pot, harden your plants gradually before leaving your plants outside full-time.  Make sure you have the correct soil based on your re planting methods. 

*Make sure to also enough room. Tomato plants have a large root system, so if you plan to use pots, need at least a 5 gallon bucket in most cases.  Also, tomatoes need a lot of water, but never over water or let the roots soak in water or else you will get root rot.  I usually fertilize my tomatoes after they are at least 2 feet tall.  One type before flowers and another kind after watering

1 hour ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...had the same problem when I first started out.  Some suggestions:

1.  Seeds - start by buying fresh seeds. Try to find varieties that grow best in your region 

2.  Plant the seedlings indoors to start. Can use jiffy peat pods or red keg cups filling with either potting mix or seed starter soil.  Don't over water  or under water

3.  If you have a sunny window still, let your starters grow at least 2-5 sets of true leaves before taking outside.  

4.  Once ready to go outside, whether you plant in the ground, raised bed or larger pot, harden your plants gradually before leaving your plants outside full-time.  Make sure you have the correct soil based on your re planting methods. 

*Make sure to also enough room. Tomato plants have a large root system, so if you plan to use pots, need at least a 5 gallon bucket in most cases.  Also, tomatoes need a lot of water, but never over water or let the roots soak in water or else you will get root rot.  I usually fertilize my tomatoes after they are at least 2 feet tall.  One type before flowers and another kind after watering

Thank You -- I will give it another go !

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of busy weeks in the garden.

shes really hitting her stride now.

Thai watermelons are doing really well,I’m counting 12 on one plant alone.

Peppers,chillies and tomatoes are killing it in the new hothouse.In fact,it might be a tad too hot in there at times,so I throw a fan in for good measure.

Peas are crazy.Never seen so many on our plants before.SoMe good chicken shit before planting I believe was the ticket.

Pumpkin patch is mental.The Thai pumpkins are slower growers,so I’ve moved three that we’re getting dwarfed by the Queensland Blues.

It’s hard to see where the beets end and potatoes begin.
the broccoli and cauliflower,we simply can’t keep up to,and I will be making broccoli cheese soup in the next week or so.

Also,two weeds popped up in the hothouse,so I’ve kept watering them.🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭I’m sure they will be useful at a later date.They have a funny smell.😜

garlic and onions are great,we’ve eaten some of that too already.

Shes taking the water though.

55F21664-5B9B-42F1-ABD9-E2FD68350CAE.jpeg

3E9A524B-C808-49ED-B409-C13A657E2E15.jpeg

5182E48F-8C22-4A90-86C9-44B513AE124A.jpeg

567C84B7-B5FF-4A16-B372-0632696952C2.jpeg

CFADB559-7830-4D36-8014-126CAAB41F79.jpeg

3D9DF2D9-D556-462A-A974-6A3A7867DF0B.jpeg

ACB7C295-1E90-4672-9B6C-A28AA3969E7A.jpeg

87C6636D-88B8-40C1-B908-21C1413CCE33.jpeg

7121E4F4-7962-4A93-94CE-C1D6A634EFDF.jpeg

73A9A5DE-ED80-4123-AE29-324846CCB380.jpeg

10E588E6-438E-41EA-9E4D-131F55066DCF.jpeg