Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

This is savory corn pudding, a traditional dish from Appalachia. 

IMG_1977.png

It's great as an alternative to potatoes or rice as a side dish.  It can also be eaten as a main dish with plenty of bacon.

IMG_1983.png

IMG_1974.png

I had it with a fried pork chop and garden peas.

IMG_1980.png

IMG_1985.png

IMG_1986.png

That looks damn good Evil. I'm going to have to try that one of these days.

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

That looks damn good Evil. I'm going to have to try that one of these days.

It is good and very easy to make.  There are plenty of recipes on Youtube and Internet cooking sites.  The modern variations call for canned corn and a cornmeal muffin mix, while the traditional recipes use kernels scraped from ears of fresh corn and ground cornmeal.  Either type of recipe is flexible and you can add whatever ingredients you like to give the corn pudding more taste.  I usually add fried onions, bacon and thyme.

Corn pudding originated with early Scotch-Irish settlers in the Appalachian region.  It was an adaption of savory bread pudding, a staple English food at the time, to the realities of living on the American frontier.  Wheat and barley didn't grow well in the mountains of Appalachia, but corn did fine.  Cornmeal and cornbread took the place of wheat flour and bread in the settlers' diets.

Evil

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

It is good and very easy to make.  There are plenty of recipes on Youtube and Internet cooking sites.  The modern variations call for canned corn and a cornmeal muffin mix, while the traditional recipes use kernels scraped from ears of fresh corn and ground cornmeal.  Either type of recipe is flexible and you can add whatever ingredients you like to give the corn pudding more taste.  I usually add fried onions, bacon and thyme.

Corn pudding originated with early Scotch-Irish settlers in the Appalachian region.  It was an adaption of savory bread pudding, a staple English food at the time, to the realities of living on the American frontier.  Wheat and barley didn't grow well in the mountains of Appalachia, but corn did fine.  Cornmeal and cornbread took the place of wheat flour and bread in the settlers' diets.

Evil

Bringing back some good food memories with the talk of corn pudding. We had it quite often growing up in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We called it corn casserole. Another favorite was baked potato casserole.

exps39500_BHR153663D01_16_4b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Bringing back some good food memories with the talk of corn pudding. We had it quite often growing up in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We called it corn casserole. Another favorite was baked potato casserole.

Yup, corn pudding and corn casserole are different names for the same thing.  Exact same recipe for both on the Internet, but under the two separate names.

My mom used to make a sweet dessert version of corn pudding which we called Indian pudding.  It was basically corn pudding without the corn kernels but molasses, maple syrup or honey added, maybe with raisins and nuts if she had them on hand.  It was a bit different from classic New England Indian pudding, which was a sweet take on the famous English "hasty pudding" of Yankee Doodle fame.  (from the second verse: "And there we saw the men and boys as thick as hasty pudding.")

Not my pic of New England Indian pudding, lifted from the Net:

new-england-indian-pudding.png

Great with whipped cream or ice cream!

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Krapow Moo

Wow! Long time since I've had krapow moo.  Thanks for the reminder of what to make at the weekend.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Painter said:

I dislike posting after khun binlid....he does all those cheffy things, like garnish, and his food always looks rop notch.....

Anyway.... pan fried pork medallions, with onion and mushroom gravy

20211201_175637.jpg

Cheers mate. I have been plying my trade now for 51 years so cheffy things are sort second nature to me.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

That's my family tree. Scotch-Irish form Appalachia. Migrated West and many settled in Illinois/Indiana region where I was raised. Since then I have found my way back to my roots in North Carolina. 

As soon as I can do so reasonably I will be relocating, hopefully to Thailand.

Cheers !

5 hours ago, Painter said:

I dislike posting after khun binlid....he does all those cheffy things, like garnish, and his food always looks rop notch.....

Anyway.... pan fried pork medallions, with onion and mushroom gravy

20211201_175637.jpg

Never mind the 'arty farty' stuff Mr. Painter, that is right good proper grub and i bet it was most tasty mate......

• Thumbs Up 1