Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

Chimichanga...w/ a pasty tuck-n-roll..?

A chimichanga (/ɪmiˈæŋɡə/; Spanish: [tʃimiˈtʃaŋɡa]) is a deep-fried burrito that is common in Tex-Mex and other Southwestern U.S. cuisine. The dish is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with various ingredients, most commonly rice, cheese, beans, and a meat such as machaca (dried meat), carne adovada (marinated meat), carne seca (dried beef), or shredded chicken, and folding it into a rectangular package. It is then deep-fried, and can be accompanied by salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or carne asada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichanga

unnamed.jpg

Perhaps - more like an empanada....  Looks delicious !

On 1/17/2022 at 11:52 PM, boydeste said:

My late night snack in a bar complex Rawai. Not sure what it's called,  but inside those pasty things was shredded chicken. I guess some sort of Mexican dish. 

20220118_114936.jpg

To me, that looks like an empanada ...

friedempanada.png

rather than a chimichanga

chimi.PNG

Empanadas are South American filled pastries that originated from traditional Spanish meat pies, whereas the chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito. 

Nowadays empanadas are found all over South America and the Spanish-speaking parts of North America in countless sweet and savory variations.  Empanadas can be baked, pan-fried or deep-fried, depending on the region.  Empanadas were adapted to Mexican ingredients and tastes several hundred years ago, but the chimichanga dates from 1922 in a Mexican restaurant in Arizona.  The chimichanga is Tex-Mex rather than Mexican.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:52 PM, boydeste said:

My late night snack in a bar complex Rawai. Not sure what it's called,  but inside those pasty things was shredded chicken. I guess some sort of Mexican dish. 

20220118_114936.jpg

Actually.... I think they are called "Empanadas".  

I may actually try cooking up a batch of them soon. I will report back when I do...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KWA said:

A couple from the past few days.  The Bakehouse Mince and Onion Pie with mash and gravy was my preference by a long way.

thai food 02.jpg

pie and mash.jpg

You're not eating that pie sitting at a table are you and not on the floor using your fingers??

It is quite difficult to see what my preference would be because two of the dishes are only partially pictured ...(No offence intended if one of them is your wife!) but I'd go for the sangsom soda every time and by looking at the colour they like it quite strong too !!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

That looks like a good recipe for empanadas.  If your kitchen isn't set up for deep frying. you can bake them (far less calories, too).  Argentinian empanadas are baked, not fried.  Another option is to Pan fry them to get a golden browning, then finish cooking them in the oven.

I had a cold supper two nights ago:

IMG_2258.png

Ham, sauerkraut, hardboiled egg, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes with Dijon mustard and a chunk of homemade bread.

IMG_2262.png

Last night's supper was shepherd's pie.  I bought a lot of ground meat on sale and had to begin using it up.

IMG_2264.png

Ground bison; beef-pork-veal meatloaf mix; ground lamb; ground pork and ground pork with Italian seasoning.

The shepherd's pie out of the oven:

IMG_2266A.png 

It was a three-layer pie with dirty (aka rustic) mashed potatoes as the top and bottom layers.  The meat filling was ground lamb, onions, diced mushrooms, sweet peppers, green peas, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and chopped fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme.  I put slices of Gruyère cheese on top of the bottom potato layer and on the meat filling.

Just before serving, I sprinkled shredded Parmesan cheese over the top layer and put the pie back in the oven for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.

IMG_2269.png

Very good taste, but it needed some more Worcestershire sauce.IMG_2274.png

IMG_2272.png

That's what you call a Shepherds pie!. 

Superb. 

• Thanks 1