What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 4/25/2022 at 5:47 AM, andycoll said:

Just put it on hold at the library.

Couldn't get into the style of writing so only read about forty pages. Only 99p so no problems.

Started this instead. Not as good these days as his older books but you expect that from someone who's been writing since the seventies. Stephen King is similar in declining quality.

B093Q53XLB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, galenkia said:

Couldn't get into the style of writing so only read about forty pages. Only 99p so no problems.

Started this instead. Not as good these days as his older books but you expect that from someone who's been writing since the seventies. Stephen King is similar in declining quality.

Read a novel by the same author - same for me.  I started writing about why this is a problem, but it became political because that is the issue. Anyone interested see here: Why Woke policies are bad - 🔐Advanced - General topics - Thailand-247.com

On 4/26/2022 at 8:36 AM, galenkia said:

Just finished this supernatural thriller. Enjoyed it a lot. 

Next up is this Gothic thriller. 

51atoCJJR6L.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished the latest from Lynda. Excellent as always. Crime thriller about a double murder, drug smuggling and art theft. Love Lynda's books,as apart from being excellent,she don't write like many female crime writers. Never shy about gore and don't get all romantic like many do. Recommended.

91FsKn2Q48L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

Just finished the latest from Lynda. Excellent as always. Crime thriller about a double murder, drug smuggling and art theft. Love Lynda's books,as apart from being excellent,she don't write like many female crime writers. Never shy about gore and don't get all romantic like many do. Recommended.

91FsKn2Q48L._SL1500_.jpg

One of the best female crime/mystery writers - will look to download it later in the year.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, andycoll said:

This one. I think Dolly should stick to singing and songwriting. 

run-rose-run.jpg

I enjoyed James Patterson's early books when he authored them. Unfortunately, like some other authors who hit it big with their early works, they get lazy and only write plot outlines, then farm out the heavy lifting of writing to co-authors. Tom Clancy is another one that has done the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As an ageing white working class man I shouldn't have started this as it causes my BP to go fucking ballistic.

& Thats only the first couple of chapters that detail the constant stream of lies from most political parties whatever side of the house they sit on the supposed benefits of unfettered inward migration.🤬

9781472942241-uk.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

As an ageing white working class man I shouldn't have started this as it causes my BP to go fucking ballistic.

& Thats only the first couple of chapters that detail the constant stream of lies from most political parties whatever side of the house they sit on the supposed benefits of unfettered inward migration.🤬

9781472942241-uk.jpeg

He has a new book out the week.

Will make your BP far higher .......... brilliant writer, arrogant little batty boy but love reading him.

Loathe Shabba Raks and his ilk and everything they stand for ............. suppose I should have picked a more appropriate epithet as I love reading Murray's books and articles and his Joe Rogan podcasts are superb.

So yes was poor choice agreed .....

Pissed off as I could feel Europa Cup disaster looming shortly and I was right

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Picked up a cheap copy of this second hand, as am slowly working my way through the Easy Rawlin series. This is book 14 of 15.

Realised in the first few pages, that I've read this one before! Years backs, afternoon holiday reading would be my guess, probably over a couple of beers😳

image.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Picked up a cheap copy of this second hand, as am slowly working my way through the Easy Rawlin series. This is book 14 of 15.

Realised in the first few pages, that I've read this one before! Years backs, afternoon holiday reading would be my guess, probably over a couple of beers😳

image.png

Done that a few times. Start a book and within a page or two realize it's one I've already read. To a lessor degree have the same problem with old movies, wondering if it's one I've watched before.

My solution was to start a spreadsheet to record what I've read and watched. The list is now up to 1367 books and 347 movies.

I see Mosley isn't on that list, so will have to rectify that shortly. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

My solution was to start a spreadsheet to record what I've read and watched. The list is now up to 1367 books and 347 movies.

I see Mosley isn't on that list, so will have to rectify that shortly. Thanks for the recommendation.

That's an awful lot of reading, do you score them?🙂

Mosley is a top class writer, I'm at the end of the Easy Rawlins series and like many of these crime series, the author's  latter books are not as good as the earlier. The majority of his stuff is top class though.

They do have repeating characters, but can be read out of publication order. 

Picked up plenty down the years in Dasa Books in BKK (possibly my fav bookshop anywhere), not been in their for a good 5 years mind.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:14 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

Next up is a book I first read over a decade ago, "Post Office", by Charles Bukowski, maybe the single funniest novel I've ever read. As a retired postal worker of over 30 years, I could relate. Bukowski wrote this in 1971, while employed as a postal worker in Los Angeles, Calif and what he wrote back then about the idiocy of postal management, in many cases, was just as true for me 50 years later.

And still funny as hell the second time as I had tears of laughter streaming down my face while reading the opening couple of chapters in bed.

Thanks for this🙂

One of my favourite novels along with Factotum, both were victims of me giving away stacks of stuff to local charities when I sold my home and moved late last year.

Discovered a file with it on today, and began reading it on the Kindle in my local coffee shop. Had to stop reading it as was in danger of spraying the coffee everywhere😀

Remembered the classic opening line even years on- "It all began as a mistake."

Pure genius

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thanks for this🙂

One of my favourite novels along with Factotum, both were victims of me giving away stacks of stuff to local charities when I sold my home and moved late last year.

Discovered a file with it on today, and began reading it on the Kindle in my local coffee shop. Had to stop reading it as was in danger of spraying the coffee everywhere😀

Remembered the classic opening line even years on- "It all began as a mistake."

Pure genius

Cheers @Lemondropkid and @Mr. Smooth I have just downloaded it - sounds great.  I am currently ploughing through all of Jeffrey Archer's books - will read this when finished the current one. 

• Thumbs Up 1