What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

Yet another German Weissbier, this time a rather jolly one from Hamburg, appropriately named Reeper B. with a picture of a nautically-themed tart on the front of the can. I rather liked this one, it was just 85 Baht from Friendship which is very cheap for a European Weissbier in Thailand. Good value and not at all pretentious, just a pleasant refreshing drink. That's on my list to buy again.

IMG20230706185733.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a confession to make, it seems that I've quietly been funding Mad Vlad's war. I was browsing the beers in Foodmart a week or two back and saw on the lower shelf something I hadn't seen or even heard of before, Hemeukoe. I only saw the vaguely gothic lettering (very Germanic, that) and a few labels saying German Style or whatever on it, so I bought a couple of bottles. It was only when I got home that I noticed all the rest of the writing on the bottle was in Russian, and Google confirmed that this is indeed a Russian beer. Oh well, I've drunk buckets of Stolly in my time but never a Russian beer as far as I can remember, so I gave it a go, starting with the dunkelbier, or dark lager. I wasn't expecting much, I think I was even hoping it would be rubbish so I could conclude that Russia is incapable of doing or making anything, but it was actually quite good, with a nice balance between the toasty malt and the hops giving it a pleasantly rich taste. I've got a second Hemeukoe beer here which I haven't tried yet, but here's their dark lager:

IMG20230713191949(1).jpg

I sampled this one last night, a dark white beer, which sounds a bit contradictory. It was a pricy Paulaner from Munich, and I wasn't really impressed, though I suspect it's the only dunkel weissbier I've ever drunk so I'm no expert.

IMG20230717231030.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was the other bottle of Russian Hemuekoe beer I bought in Foodmart. I thought it would just be their bog standard lager but it was a bit cloudy, so maybe it's their attempt at a Weissbier? Whatever, I wasn't much taken with it, the dark lager I had a few days ago was much better.

IMG20230722190137.jpg

• Like 1