COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

From NBC News

Trump declares a national emergency

Lindsey Wasson / Reuters

Updated March 13, 2020, 5:14 PM EDT

President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on Friday, the most significant move yet by the U.S. government to head off the coronavirus outbreak.

Trump's declaration came as many public and private institutions have taken action — including canceling major events, temporarily banning large gatherings, closing schools and telling people to work from home — in an effort to slow the spread of the virus.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average tumbled, soared, and then closed with a gain of 1,900 points after the emergency declaration. Wall Street had reeled Thursday afternoon after coronavirus fears drove the markets to their worst day since the Black Monday crash in 1987.

The United States as of Friday afternoon had surpassed 2,000 confirmed or presumptive cases of the coronavirus, and the death toll climbed to 41.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yea, a few aren't. 

I can, but haven't as yet. I've booked direct with EVA, so can cancel anytime for £180, there £100 excess on the travel insurance if I took it anyway, plus hassle. 

Recommended, not compulsory. 

Just looked at costs for cancelling my flights £600 ... ( original cost was £1,600 ) but I can change dates for free ... so currently debating leaving next week ... or changing to October ...

Edited by Stillearly

53 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

The Trumpeteer didn't look or sound very healthy during his last speech 24h ago.

Old bloke  could barely read his prompter with a weak monotous voice..

So there is hope. Let's just hope Mike Pence goes first.

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks, but that shows the same!

That link has a heading that it's undergoing maintenance, but the numbers displayed looked current.

This link is what I have bookmarked and it doesn't show any maintenance msg, and the numbers are up to date.

This link has the same data, but in an easier to read and interpret list and charts.

Britain is taking a different approach on handling the virus. 

What does Britain know about coronavirus that the rest of Europe doesn't?

The British government has repeatedly said it does not believe that banning large-scale gatherings and closing schools -- like Italy, France, Germany and Spain have done -- would be effective in preventing the spread of the disease.
This comes despite the fact that parts of the British Isles, including the Republic of Ireland and Scotland (which is in the UK but has a separate healthcare system), are now emulating their continental neighbors.
The reason the UK has held off stricter "social distancing" measures appears to be rooted in the government's prediction that the outbreak may not peak until 14 weeks from now -- and that people will not be willing to drastically alter their ways of life and stick to the new rules for over three months, so there's little point imposing more restrictions just yet.
The latest recommendation for Britons is to self-isolate for seven days if they begin to experience a persistent cough or high temperature, and to continue with rigorous hygiene like frequently washing their hands and disinfecting surfaces.
Government ministers claim their decisions are being led purely by science. That science, they say, currently suggests that it would be beneficial for the country to build up some sort of herd immunity to the novel coronavirus strain in the long run. In short, authorities do want some Britons to get the bug, especially since for many, its symptoms will not be particularly debilitating.

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

But they can give to parents and grandparents.. 

Hardly, according to most experts, people aren't contagious if they don't show symptoms and as children just don't get ill (meaning: not showing symptoms) from this virus, they aren't likely to spread it either. This is also the reason the Dutch government gives for keeping the schools open (for now). I am not sure whether I completely believe it, but I know enough about this kind of things I won't go against experts without something better than just a gut feeling.

33 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Hardly, according to most experts, people aren't contagious if they don't show symptoms and as children just don't get ill (meaning: not showing symptoms) from this virus, they aren't likely to spread it either. This is also the reason the Dutch government gives for keeping the schools open (for now). I am not sure whether I completely believe it, but I know enough about this kind of things I won't go against experts without something better than just a gut feeling.

totally untrue ...the danger from this virus is that it is infectious in the assymptomatic incubation phase(as well as in the symptomatic phase) 

Children seem to get a mild illness but they can infect others very easily 

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

totally untrue ...the danger from this virus is that it is infectious in the assymptomatic incubation phase(as well as in the symptomatic phase) 

Children seem to get a mild illness but they can infect others very easily 

I am getting conflicting information about it being infectious in the incubation phase or not from various experts, so could you please post links to a couple of sources I can forward to the Dutch government?

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Britain is taking a different approach on handling the virus. 

What does Britain know about coronavirus that the rest of Europe doesn't?

The British government has repeatedly said it does not believe that banning large-scale gatherings and closing schools -- like Italy, France, Germany and Spain have done -- would be effective in preventing the spread of the disease.
This comes despite the fact that parts of the British Isles, including the Republic of Ireland and Scotland (which is in the UK but has a separate healthcare system), are now emulating their continental neighbors.
The reason the UK has held off stricter "social distancing" measures appears to be rooted in the government's prediction that the outbreak may not peak until 14 weeks from now -- and that people will not be willing to drastically alter their ways of life and stick to the new rules for over three months, so there's little point imposing more restrictions just yet.
The latest recommendation for Britons is to self-isolate for seven days if they begin to experience a persistent cough or high temperature, and to continue with rigorous hygiene like frequently washing their hands and disinfecting surfaces.
Government ministers claim their decisions are being led purely by science. That science, they say, currently suggests that it would be beneficial for the country to build up some sort of herd immunity to the novel coronavirus strain in the long run. In short, authorities do want some Britons to get the bug, especially since for many, its symptoms will not be particularly debilitating.

The Govt have had to change their tune today with regards to public gatherings

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just checked with my Insurance company ..... apparently I didn't get a "travel disruption policy add on " when I originally bought my policy ( I don't remember it being an extra option ... ) ... so won't be covered if I have to change my plans .. bunch of cnuts 

Mine's the same. I have (i think!!) very limited cover in the basic policy (like £500 total, for upto12 days max), which as a token is helpful towards any changes I might have to make, but should I get stuck here it wont cover a months condo rent, or living costs, or....

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

I am getting conflicting information about it being infectious in the incubation phase or not from various experts, so could you please post links to a couple of sources I can forward to the Dutch government?

According to the CDC...

Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

There's also this report. The last paragraph in the report explains why coronavirus is so contagious.

Viral shedding is high in first days of coronavirus illness, study shows

People who have contracted the new coronavirus "shed" the virus most heavily in the first few days of the illiness, and shedding may continue even after they stop showing symptoms, according to a new study.

The study has not been peer-reviewed, but it still may offer valuable information for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

Conducted by German researchers, the study examined nine people with COVID-19. They studied viral shedding, which occurs when the virus is released from the host.

Researchers found that viral shedding occurred in high levels from the throat at the earliest points of the illness for all patients, according to STAT News. But viral shedding levels dropped after the fifth day in all patients except for the two with more severe cases of COVID-19, who continued to shed the virus from the throat at high levels until the 10th or 11th day.

Researchers also tried to grow viruses from sputum (a mixture of saliva and mucus), blood, urine and stool samples taken from the patients, which can help determine how people infect others and the timeframe within which infection passes from one person to another. But they could not grow viruses from the throat and sputum samples taken from those with mild illnesses after eight days of the illness, STAT reports.

Thus, people with mild infections can test positive per throat swabs after their illness, but they are likely not infectious about 10 days after they start experiencing symptoms.

Researchers contrasted viral shedding of the SARS coronavirus, which occurred later in the timeframe of the illness. COVID-19 is shedding 1,000-plus times more virus than SARS patients emitted during peak shedding, according to STAT.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

According to the CDC...

Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

There's also this report. The last paragraph in the report explains why coronavirus is so contagious.

Viral shedding is high in first days of coronavirus illness, study shows

People who have contracted the new coronavirus "shed" the virus most heavily in the first few days of the illiness, and shedding may continue even after they stop showing symptoms, according to a new study.

The study has not been peer-reviewed, but it still may offer valuable information for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

Conducted by German researchers, the study examined nine people with COVID-19. They studied viral shedding, which occurs when the virus is released from the host.

Researchers found that viral shedding occurred in high levels from the throat at the earliest points of the illness for all patients, according to STAT News. But viral shedding levels dropped after the fifth day in all patients except for the two with more severe cases of COVID-19, who continued to shed the virus from the throat at high levels until the 10th or 11th day.

Researchers also tried to grow viruses from sputum (a mixture of saliva and mucus), blood, urine and stool samples taken from the patients, which can help determine how people infect others and the timeframe within which infection passes from one person to another. But they could not grow viruses from the throat and sputum samples taken from those with mild illnesses after eight days of the illness, STAT reports.

Thus, people with mild infections can test positive per throat swabs after their illness, but they are likely not infectious about 10 days after they start experiencing symptoms.

Researchers contrasted viral shedding of the SARS coronavirus, which occurred later in the timeframe of the illness. COVID-19 is shedding 1,000-plus times more virus than SARS patients emitted during peak shedding, according to STAT.

So yes,they spread whilst assymptomatic...different to SARS  Coronovirus stain 

Its why SARS was contained and this isnt

SARS is far more lethal btw

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Looks like we finally have a source for locations of infections within Thailand.

Techie teams forge online weapons to fight contagion

Here's the link to their interactive map.
https://covidtracker.5lab.co/

Funny how they even identify fake news locations.

its good info for historical records but only modest  value in the immeadiate rime frame

11 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Looks like we finally have a source for locations of infections within Thailand.

Techie teams forge online weapons to fight contagion

Here's the link to their interactive map.
https://covidtracker.5lab.co/

Funny how they even identify fake news locations.

No force, say it isn't true, close to Minburi? This is where Rachanees house is.....she got info from the Security Guards there that keep in contact with her that they ( the neighborhood) has now started "spraying" some sort of chemical by truck in the area. WTF?  Trying to get more info and will report back. The 600 baht we pay per month for these guys she was told, they are now handing out gloves and alcohol/sanitizer to people who come there to visit friends relatives etc. At least they are trying LOL! 

I don't want to die in Minburi.......if I get it, hope it is here, my burial plot, casket and service are all paid for LOL! Rachanee has been informed when they are lowering my body into my final resting place, they are required to have a full set up and play "Close To The Edge" 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

No force, say it isn't true, close to Minburi? This is where Rachanees house is.....she got info from the Security Guards there that keep in contact with her that they ( the neighborhood) has now started "spraying" some sort of chemical by truck in the area. WTF?  Trying to get more info and will report back. The 600 baht we pay per month for these guys she was told, they are now handing out gloves and alcohol/sanitizer to people who come there to visit friends relatives etc. At least they are trying LOL! 

I don't want to die in Minburi.......if I get it, hope it is here, my burial plot, casket and service are all paid for LOL! Rachanee has been informed when they are lowering my body into my final resting place, they are required to have a full set up and play "Close To The Edge" 

Mike,

I to have sorted out my send off,all paid for with 5/6000aud leftover to throw on the bar or me sister can just do what she wants with it

music will be at the start,Queens "Another one Bites the Dust" and finishing with ACDC "Highway to Hell".

and my ashes to be dropped in the local lake on a out going tide,at the place I loved both as a kid and adult.

I don't fear death,just the manner I go,best deal would be,go to sleep and never wake up,i hope I don't go screaming out for me mum.

regards

grayray

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just looked at costs for cancelling my flights £600 ... ( original cost was £1,600 ) but I can change dates for free ... so currently debating leaving next week ... or changing to October ...

Let me know because I was off in two weeks. Just about to do the same ....... would still go but can't figure out what Thailand want from foreigners ???

Self quarantine etc ???? Looks almost certain will have to cancel.

23 hours ago, Stillearly said: