COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

22 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Apparently, Oxford/AZ are selling their vaccine at cost price during the period of the pandemic. I guess they wouldn't be too pleased to find their vaccine being sold on at a high level of profit.

The cost of production only? 

Doubtful innit. 

I bet they'll have included every bit of cost in there including the research it took to develop, in which case they're still getting ROI. 

3 hours ago, Esco said:

Doubtful innit. 

I bet they'll have included every bit of cost in there including the research it took to develop, in which case they're still getting ROI. 

I've no idea how they ascertain the "cost price", but we are able to see the matter in the context of what is being charged.

Exact figures will depend on things like quantity ordered, but approximate figures for cost per dose are:

Moderna $35

Pfizer $20

Oxford/AZ $3½

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/covid-vaccines-how-much-they-cost-whos-bought-them-and-how-theyre-stored.html

• Great Info 1

11 hours ago, Esco said:

Doubtful innit. 

Expedited access for COVID-19 related IP

The COVID-19 pandemic demands an urgent and unprecedented response.

University research and expertise is critical to this effort, and OUI is supporting a growing number of projects from Oxford University involving IP and technology that could help address the current pandemic. These include vaccines, rapid diagnostics, ventilators, therapeutics and remote monitoring technology.

The following guidance explains how we approach licensing COVID-19 related IP to 3rd parties in these exceptional circumstances.

Guidance for organisations seeking to licence or otherwise access University of Oxford IP relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic

1. OU and OUI will expedite access to Oxford IP to enable global deployment at scale of associated products and services to address the COVID-19 pandemic
  2. The default approach of the University and OUI regarding (1) will be to offer non-exclusive, royalty-free licences to support free of charge, at-cost or cost + limited margin supply as appropriate, and only for the duration of the pandemic, as defined by the WHO
  3. Licence terms for supplying downstream (post-pandemic) commercial markets will be the subject of a separate agreement
  4. The grant to a Licensee of access to IP under (1) does not guarantee it will be granted downstream commercial rights
  5. Where relevant University IP is licensed to support commercial sales after the point at which the pandemic is declared by the WHO (or other appropriate body) to be over, such licences will carry appropriate financial terms to allow the University to reinvest proceeds in research and teaching.

The University and Oxford University Innovation Ltd will wherever possible adhere to the above principles, subject to our obligations to 3rd party funders and to cases where the overarching principle (1) can only be achieved by a different approach. All licences granted under these principles will preserve the University’s academic research freedoms to publish and use the IP for teaching and research purposes.

https://innovation.ox.ac.uk/technologies-available/technology-licensing/expedited-access-covid-19-related-ip/

• Great Info 3

6 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Additional holidays declared for Chinky new year, so you would imagine there would be some relaxation of restrictions for that.

Great, so all the infected people in Samut Sakhon and Bangkok can come down to Pattaya for a few days of drinking and eating. Just what we need.

My wife received a phone call yesterday from her dentist in Pattaya advising that they were open again so a provisional appointment made for next Wednesday 3rd February.

That means in theory we will be travelling on Monday from the north west of Thailand to end up in Bangsaray via Jomtien on the Sukhumvit Rd near Ocean Marina. We would not actually go through Pattaya.

So we will be travelling from one "red" district ending up in another "red" district.

Anyone know if the formalities at check points (there will be several) are anything more than a temperature test?

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

My wife received a phone call yesterday from her dentist in Pattaya advising that they were open again so a provisional appointment made for next Wednesday 3rd February.

That means in theory we will be travelling on Monday from the north west of Thailand to end up in Bangsaray via Jomtien on the Sukhumvit Rd near Ocean Marina. We would not actually go through Pattaya.

So we will be travelling from one "red" district ending up in another "red" district.

Anyone know if the formalities at check points (there will be several) are anything more than a temperature test?

I thought Chonburi had been moved to an orange zone?

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Last I heard was it was proposed. Think tomorrow is when they give the formal approval.

3878587.jpg

I don't see much point of promoting a national holiday to boost GDP if they aren't going to allow people to travel freely, visit restaurants and bars, and go shopping.

• Like 1

Any sign of the swimming pools reopening?

Since this latest episode started, I've been swimming in the sea at Dongtan or Jomtien every day. I swear that the seawater's getting dirtier and dirtier, this afternoon it was full of brown crap until you got 50 yards away from the shore. I assume it's caused by the never-ending dredging off Pratumnak, anybody know what that's in aid of and when it might end?

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Any sign of the swimming pools reopening?

Since this latest episode started, I've been swimming in the sea at Dongtan or Jomtien every day. I swear that the seawater's getting dirtier and dirtier, this afternoon it was full of brown crap until you got 50 yards away from the shore. I assume it's caused by the never-ending dredging off Pratumnak, anybody know what that's in aid of and when it might end?

Probably going to be announced over the weekend for Feb 1st. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I don't see much point of promoting a national holiday to boost GDP if they aren't going to allow people to travel freely, visit restaurants and bars, and go shopping.

That is why I asked my question because currently I cannot see travel between regions as being restricted in any way. Am I correct in that assumption?

I don't want to head off on Monday and then get sent back at one of the check points which will be at least four in number.

3 minutes ago, Jambo said:

That is why I asked my question because currently I cannot see travel between regions as being restricted in any way. Am I correct in that assumption?

I don't want to head off on Monday and then get sent back at one of the check points which will be at least four in number.

Just asked my lady who is from Kamphaeng Phet and she believes you still need travel authorization to cross providences. 

• Sad 1

I know this is probably no big revelation to any of us but.....as far as Thailand goes with this Covid, talking with wifey I always try not to be " disrespectful" to her country you know. It is easy for all of us to talk shit about the Thais at times, i do it too, the lack of common sense, you know the drill. WE too in America have failed miserably at the Vaccine rollout etc. although I have my first shot Monday, alot of people who are for sure needing them, get the run around. 

So with that said, wifey told me she thinks the Gov't is over reacting a bit there, but she too knows how they operate obviously. She agrees with me fully at this point as we get closer to hopefully getting back to normal, that a more fair way to get back into Thailand would be the following:

1. If you have had both vaccinations, you have tested negative before your flight, a more fair way would be to do just a 5 day quarantine at one of the hotels, with a test everyday and if you test negative 5 days in a row, you are allowed to leave and get on with life in LOS. No $100k worth of Covid Insurance. 

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I know this is probably no big revelation to any of us but.....as far as Thailand goes with this Covid, talking with wifey I always try not to be " disrespectful" to her country you know. It is easy for all of us to talk shit about the Thais at times, i do it too, the lack of common sense, you know the drill. WE too in America have failed miserably at the Vaccine rollout etc. although I have my first shot Monday, alot of people who are for sure needing them, get the run around. 

So with that said, wifey told me she thinks the Gov't is over reacting a bit there, but she too knows how they operate obviously. She agrees with me fully at this point as we get closer to hopefully getting back to normal, that a more fair way to get back into Thailand would be the following:

1. If you have had both vaccinations, you have tested negative before your flight, a more fair way would be to do just a 5 day quarantine at one of the hotels, with a test everyday and if you test negative 5 days in a row, you are allowed to leave and get on with life in LOS. No $100k worth of Covid Insurance. 

Yeah...in the USA...we young guys have to wait...probably until Summer at the earliest. 

The TH entry regime your describe sounds reasonable. I've been wondering why the new 300 baht entry fee for non-Thais (supposedly for medical insurance) does not also cover Covid?

Are you making plans to go back? IMO it will be until at least Summer 2022 until travel will be anything closer to "normal" especially with the new virus variants taking hold. There's some scary sh*t on the horizon (check out the situation in the UK --  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/25/uk/coronavirus-uk-variant-lockdown-gbr-intl/index.html ).

Glad your getting your shot... 😷

23 hours ago, lazarus said:

Yeah...in the USA...we young guys have to wait...probably until Summer at the earliest. 

The TH entry regime your describe sounds reasonable. I've been wondering why the new 300 baht entry fee for non-Thais (supposedly for medical insurance) does not also cover Covid?

Are you making plans to go back? IMO it will be until at least Summer 2022 until travel will be anything closer to "normal" especially with the new virus variants taking hold. There's some scary sh*t on the horizon (check out the situation in the UK --  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/25/uk/coronavirus-uk-variant-lockdown-gbr-intl/index.html ).

Glad your getting your shot... 😷

Matt, yes at some point whether is be this year or next, I have no problems going back to Thailand. But...we both agree pretty much that any type of 14-15 day quarantine and all of the other "money grab" things they want, we are not going to do. Having fun here, just have to take it day by day and I am glad she is around to entertain me LOL!

Good to see Calif is at the "purple" tier again and I think things will get better and hope that with new strains don't ruin the party. I can't believe how much I miss going to concerts, seeing the San Jose Sharks Hockey, SJ State Football etc. etc. 

• Like 3

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailands-phuket-plans-private-vaccination-drive-aims-for-october-reopening-idUSKBN2A318C

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s resort island of Phuket is planning private coronavirus vaccinations for 250,000 residents in the hope the government will allow it to fully reopen to foreign tourists by October and save its battered economy, industry officials said.

Slideshow ( 2 images )

“The people of Phuket are losing hope,” Phuket Tourism Association President, Bhummikitti Ruktaengam said, adding that the island’s economy was at its lowest point in recent history.

About 10.5 million of the nearly 40 million foreign visitors to Thailand in 2019 visited Phuket.

The Southeast Asian nation had only 6.7 million arrivals nationwide last year due to its coronavirus border closures.

Foreign tourism revenue in Phuket dropped 78% to 87.5 million baht ($2.92 million) in 2020 with 2.1 million arrivals.

At least 10 Phuket industry associations including hotel, tourism and chambers of commerce have agreed to pool resources to procure vaccines and inoculate at least 70% of the island to create sufficient immunity by Oct. 1 to receive tourists.

Phuket’s population is at least 400,000 and the private vaccination drive would cover most adults before a nationwide government immunisation programme for the public starts in June.

“We are in talks with three major hospital networks to procure AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines,” Bhummikitti said, declining to provide details.

He also argued foreign tourists vaccinated abroad should not have to undergo quarantine.

“They have immunity, we will have immunity,” he said. “We talk to each other through masks. The logic works.”

Others in Thailand agreed.

Quarantine should be relaxed or eliminated for vaccinated foreigners, chief strategy officer hotel operator Minor International Pcl, Chaiyapat Paitoon told a panel discussion.

Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn, said a “vaccine passport” was being discussed by the country’s coronavirus taskforce.

Thailand, which has recorded 21,249 coronavirus infections and 79 fatalities, will largely use 61 million locally made doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine for its immunisation drive and will use a limited number of imported ones in the early stages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand/thailands-phuket-plans-private-vaccination-drive-aims-for-october-reopening-idUSKBN2A318C

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s resort island of Phuket is planning private coronavirus vaccinations for 250,000 residents in the hope the government will allow it to fully reopen to foreign tourists by October and save its battered economy, industry officials said.

Slideshow ( 2 images )

“The people of Phuket are losing hope,” Phuket Tourism Association President, Bhummikitti Ruktaengam said, adding that the island’s economy was at its lowest point in recent history.

About 10.5 million of the nearly 40 million foreign visitors to Thailand in 2019 visited Phuket.

The Southeast Asian nation had only 6.7 million arrivals nationwide last year due to its coronavirus border closures.

Foreign tourism revenue in Phuket dropped 78% to 87.5 million baht ($2.92 million) in 2020 with 2.1 million arrivals.

At least 10 Phuket industry associations including hotel, tourism and chambers of commerce have agreed to pool resources to procure vaccines and inoculate at least 70% of the island to create sufficient immunity by Oct. 1 to receive tourists.

Phuket’s population is at least 400,000 and the private vaccination drive would cover most adults before a nationwide government immunisation programme for the public starts in June.

“We are in talks with three major hospital networks to procure AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines,” Bhummikitti said, declining to provide details.

He also argued foreign tourists vaccinated abroad should not have to undergo quarantine.

“They have immunity, we will have immunity,” he said. “We talk to each other through masks. The logic works.”

Others in Thailand agreed.

Quarantine should be relaxed or eliminated for vaccinated foreigners, chief strategy officer hotel operator Minor International Pcl, Chaiyapat Paitoon told a panel discussion.

Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Yuthasak Supasorn, said a “vaccine passport” was being discussed by the country’s coronavirus taskforce.

Thailand, which has recorded 21,249 coronavirus infections and 79 fatalities, will largely use 61 million locally made doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine for its immunisation drive and will use a limited number of imported ones in the early stages.

Wishful thinking I reckon. 

I visited our local large Tesco shopping Center yesterday.

I walked in wearing my mask.

Automatic temperature test showed 36.1.

Entered my name on the sheet and a telephone number.

Nodded to the girl at the desk and proceeded to do my shopping.

On leaving, I was pushing my trolley past the same girl on her other side when I noticed three Tesco employees at the temperature testing facility with one of the girls waving her hand in front of her face in of those exaggerated motions people do when trying to cool down. That caught my attention and I stopped just in time to watch her take her temperature again and it came up 38c. Now I am old school and I was sure that is over 100f which is high, close if not just at fever level.

The three girls then spoke to the girl at the desk and then proceeded to enter the shopping Center. Now my Thai wife later told me it was none of my business but I confronted the girl at the desk as to why she just let that girl with a temperature of 38c walk into the Center. I immediately became the idiot annoying farang and got the usual Thai response which is to smile and hope I would go away.

The girl on the desk looked about 16 probably dumped at the desk because nobody else wanted to sit there. It was not her fault because it was obviously a Management problem because nobody had told her what to do in the event of somebody testing with a high temperature.

So I gave up and went home.

What a bloody farce!

• Sad 1

The local news here in NZ announced that they are going to set up 4 levels of countries that can visit nz .Thailand is on level 1 , covid test before flight  no quarantine ,England , USA  etc level 4 the full works 14day quarantine etc

Hopefully Thailand sees this and nz and a couple of aussie states can pop over to help take up the Thai tourism slack

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Entered my name on the sheet and a telephone number.

Eek! Now you face the possibility of spending time at His Majesty's leisure in a field hospital if the customer tests Covid-positive. Have you seen the photos of them, it's guaranteed that you will not enjoy it, so I seriously hope it was something else causing the high temperature.