COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

If anyone cares, got this in my e-mail yesterday from my clinic.....I should get a booster around Dec time frame, but like everything else, it could be sooner. 

There has been a lot of news lately about additional shots of the COVID-19 vaccine, and you probably have questions. 

Who should get an additional dose and when?

Immunocompromised Patients

Right now, the CDC has only recommended a 3rd dose for people who have gotten their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna AT LEAST 4 weeks ago and fit into one of the groups below:

Have been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood

Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system

Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system

Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)

Advanced or untreated HIV infection

Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response

If you qualify for an additional dose, go to vax.sccgov.org to schedule an appointment.

Other Previously Vaccinated Patients

The Federal government plans to recommend booster doses for the general public, likely to start September 20.  A booster dose will be recommended for those at least 8 months after their last dose. The first to receive booster doses will be nursing home residents, health care workers and emergency workers, who were the first to be vaccinated last winter. They will be followed by other senior citizens, then by the general population. You will receive the same vaccine you originally received.

We will send a message when you become eligible for a booster vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

Feck me...when does this ever end?

It doesn't. But someday it will not be as bad as it is right now.

With more than 100,000 people in the hospital with Covid-19 in the US, this August is worse than last, expert says

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/26/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

More than 100,000 people are hospitalized with Covid-19 in the US -- the first time that level has been reached since January -- as medical workers say they're once again struggling to treat waves of patients.

The latest figure, amid a summer surge in Covid-19 cases driven by the highly transmissible Delta variant, is also more than double what it was on the same day last year, when vaccines were not available as they are now.

Hospitals and researchers have been saying the vast majority of this year's hospitalized patients are unvaccinated. The availability of vaccines makes the current hospitalization surge tragic, Dr. Paul Offit, a member of the US Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisory committee, told CNN Wednesday.

"The numbers now ... are actually in many ways worse than last August," Offit said. "Last August, we had a fully susceptible population, (and) we didn't have a vaccine. Now, we have half the country vaccinated ... but nonetheless the numbers are worse.

"The Delta variant is one big game changer," he said...

. . .

The Coronavirus Is Here Forever. This Is How We Live With It.
We can’t avoid the virus for the rest of our lives, but we can minimize its impact.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/08/how-we-live-coronavirus-forever/619783/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20210825&silverid=%%RECIPIENT_ID%%&utm_term=The Atlantic Daily

...Before the emergence of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19, only four known coronaviruses were circulating among humans, including 229E. All four of these coronaviruses cause common colds, and in the most optimistic scenario, experts have told me, our newest coronavirus will end up as the fifth. In that case, COVID-19 might look a lot like a cold from 229E—recurrent but largely unremarkable.

That future may be hard to imagine with intensive-care units filling up yet again during this Delta surge. But the pandemic will end. One way or another, it will end. The current spikes in cases and deaths are the result of a novel coronavirus meeting naive immune systems. When enough people have gained some immunity through either vaccination or infection—preferably vaccination—the coronavirus will transition to what epidemiologists call “endemic.” It won’t be eliminated, but it won’t upend our lives anymore...

Edited by lazarus

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

I have him on speed dial, when I need an expert opinion sharpish!

When I started getting symptoms last year, he was the first person I called. 

I said to him, Mr Asshole, or can I call you Jake, every vagina I've had in the last 2 or 3 weeks has tasted the same, help!

He says to me straight away, well, it's either loss of taste due to Covid or you need your tonsils out. 

And as I had my tonsils out as a child, i knew then and there I had Covid. Who needs to queue up for dodgy PCR tests ffs.

Top Man!

And thankfully all vaginas were back tasting of different species of fish from about 2 weeks after his diagnosis. 

#staysafe Mr Asshole, or Jake to his friends ...

555555555555555555555555 !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't agree with most of my antivaxxer friends' positions on C19 but I have yet to come across a single one of them wish harm or death on vaxxers for their choice of C19 vaccination.

OTOH, I've lost track of how many times C19 vaccine proponents have written sociopathic shit and wished violent harm to antivaxxers, and that's just on this thread.

Interesting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peroni said:

I don't agree with most of my antivaxxer friends' positions on C19 but I have yet to come across a single one of them wish harm or death on vaxxers for their choice of C19 vaccination.

OTOH, I've lost track of how many times C19 vaccine proponents have written sociopathic shit and wished violent harm to antivaxxers, and that's just on this thread.

Interesting.

Anti Vaxxers , spreading misinformation and the virus ....are doing harm to everyone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Anti Vaxxers , spreading misinformation and the virus ....are doing harm to everyone.

I tend to agree and I don't have any answers as to how to change them.

I just don't believe that the vitriol, particularly on a forum like this one puts the other side in any particularly better light.

It does seem to be shutting down a lot of discussion here but that might be as much about virus fatigue as anything.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peroni said:

I tend to agree and I don't have any answers as to how to change them.

I just don't believe that the vitriol, particularly on a forum like this one puts the other side in any particularly better light.

It does seem to be shutting down a lot of discussion here but that might be as much about virus fatigue as anything.

Don't forget...These threads are populated by scoundrels, misfits, score-settlers, disinfluencers, and even a few old school trolls!  🦘

For discussion sake...

Many people who refuse Covid vaccination are now the most seriously ill in hospitals. They are utilizing valuable health care resources disproportionately to other non-Covid needs. 

Is it sustainable to politely tolerate them while other health care needs suffer? What's the solution? 

. . .

Delta Air Lines to add $200 monthly health insurance charge for unvaccinated staff

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/delta-add-200-monthly-health-insurance-charge-unvaccinated-staff-2021-08-25/

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lazarus said:

These threads are populated by scoundrels, misfits, score-settlers, and even a few trolls!  🦘

For discussion sake...

Many people who refuse Covid vaccination are now the most seriously ill in hospitals. They are utilizing valuable health care resources disproportionately to other non-Covid needs. 

Is it sustainable to politely tolerate them while other health care needs suffer? What's the solution? 

As I said, I don't have a solution. I too know how these forums work and my experiences with them are similar to your statement, that forums, and most social media these days, are populated by misfits.

But for discussion sake, my post was just my observations, and specifically of this thread, of how the conversation had shifted to name calling and childish behavior. 

The fact that someone disagrees with another's position on any idea, event, or just thought doesn't mean they need to demean them. Call that what you will, but politeness isn't really evident on this thread. 

Perhaps if that changed then the discussion might get back on track but that's again just another thought. 

• Like 1

Anti Vaxxers deserve every bit of ridicule and vitriol that comes their way IMO.

Many innocent children have been damaged due to these fuckwits, nevemind stuff like Measles coming back etc.

Personally i wouldn't want to be a member of anywhere that didn't call out, challenge, ridicule such shite. If you're gonna post garbage and insult people's intelligence, you'll most likely get a response.

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Yessongs said:

If anyone cares, got this in my e-mail yesterday from my clinic.....I should get a booster around Dec time frame, but like everything else, it could be sooner. 

There has been a lot of news lately about additional shots of the COVID-19 vaccine, and you probably have questions. 

Right now, the CDC has only recommended a 3rd dose for people who have gotten their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna AT LEAST 4 weeks ago and fit into one of the groups below:

Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system

Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system

Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)

Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response

If you qualify for an additional dose, go to vax.sccgov.org to schedule an appointment.

The Federal government plans to recommend booster doses for the general public, likely to start September 20.  A booster dose will be recommended for those at least 8 months after their last dose. The first to receive booster doses will be nursing home residents, health care workers and emergency workers, who were the first to be vaccinated last winter. They will be followed by other senior citizens, then by the general population. You will receive the same vaccine you originally received.

How dare you post something relevant from first-hand experience  on this thread- there's no room for you here😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Peroni said:

I have not noticed you making any previous contributions to this topic before. 

This thread remains very popular and is updated every day. Discussion is welcome, but posting memes and copied posts from Twitter does little to promote actual discussion and even leads to dissent

What discussions, are you suggesting are being shut down? Everyone has a right to express  their opinions. But does. Ot automatically assume that others will always agree.

It is hardly surprising that some feel somewhat resentful toward antivaxxers. 

Spreading disinformation, is a dangerous business and should be confined to those places that allow it to flourish 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

This thread remains very popular and is updated every day. Discussion is welcome, but posting memes and copied posts from Twitter does little to promote actual discussion. 

What discussions, are you suggesting are being shut down? Everyone has a right to express  their opinions. But does. Ot automatically assume that others will always agree.

Spreading disinformation, is a dangerous business and should be confined to those places that allow it to flourish 

In 'merica we call it...shakin' the tree.

Maybe a vaccinated donut or two will fall! 😉

NationalBakery_DonutVaccineKit.jpg

covid-vaccine-clinic.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I got a (uk based) similar sms from my GP's surgery earlier in the week, saying that "Flu and covid booster invites will be sent soon, and where possible you'll have both at the same time".  Went on to say who the booking text would be from, etc, etc.

I know they've trialled booster jabs here in the UK as a mate is part of the trial, but haven't heard anything definite about them yet. This may be my surgery jumping the gun, or may be a sign that they are (as expected) on the way.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Anti Vaxxers deserve every bit of ridicule and vitriol that comes their way IMO.

Many innocent children have been damaged due to these fuckwits, nevemind stuff like Measles coming back etc.

Personally i wouldn't want to be a member of anywhere that didn't call out, challenge, ridicule such shite. If you're gonna post garbage and insult people's intelligence, you'll most likely get a response.

Someone made the statement - "they don't have the answer"

Heck..... the answer is easy as I've said before - "Let them all move to Texas". They can fend for themselves. Is that a threat ? I think not.

I take the offense of blokes spitting out viral fluids that can potentially kill me (and did kill my Aunt) as a very serious clear dangerous threat. And you can damn well believe I will get nasty about it if need be. Only standing up for protecting my personal safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Painter said:

I got a (uk based) similar sms from my GP's surgery earlier in the week, saying that "Flu and covid booster invites will be sent soon, and where possible you'll have both at the same time".  Went on to say who the booking text would be from, etc, etc.

I know they've trialled booster jabs here in the UK as a mate is part of the trial, but haven't heard anything definite about them yet. This may be my surgery jumping the gun, or may be a sign that they are (as expected) on the way.

My neighbour has also been advised he should expect a booster jab in October. England, 2 x Pfizer early this year as 82 y.o.

• Like 2

It is quite obvious that in many parts of the world, the Virus is still spreading and isn't going away without a fight. 

The only 2 real weapons available are Vaccines and Treatments for those worst affected, needing hospitalisation. Masks, social distancing and lock downs can temporarily lower the spread, but once lifted, the Virus will start to attack again. 

Some of the countries that initially escaped the Pandemic, are now facing the problems that other countries experienced at the start. 

Vaccines Are working, there can be no doubt about that, but if too many people refuse it, then it will greatly slow down the process. 

I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated, but unless we take a united approach against the common enemy, then not only the longer it will take, but many more people will die or be hospitalised in the process. 

There is also no doubt, that whilst the present vaccines are not 100% effective effective against Covid, eventually they will improve, whilst effective drugs are being developed and tested to treat the symptoms. Vaccines have saved millions of lives and suffering including Polio, Smallpox, Hepatitis, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Typhoid, Influenza, Measles, TB, Cholera and the list goes on..............

Antibiotics have become essential in fighting infections. 

Wouldn't it be have been wonderful if our natural immune system could have fought off all of those diseases. 

Many of us have had up to 16 different childhood vaccinations. Why is it only now, that these conspiracy theories and reluctancies are emerging? 

It would be great if Pharmaceuticals had 5 or 10 years longer to develop  C19 Vaccines, but time is not on our side. 

When we under attack, the only options are to defend ourselves, run away or lie down and take it. In a Covid situation, running away is not an option. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bob lt said:

My neighbour has also been advised he should expect a booster jab in October. England, 2 x Pfizer early this year as 82 y.o.

Hope this will be the case, particularly for the most vulnerable. Not heard from my GP as yet, but fingers crossed. 

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

This thread remains very popular and is updated every day. Discussion is welcome, but posting memes and copied posts from Twitter does little to promote actual discussion and even leads to dissent

I just started reviewing the thread in the past few weeks. It takes some time to get through it and filter all of the ad hominem attacks.

I am only posting my observations. It's obvious why the thread is popular. That says something itself.

I have no dog in the hunt. Carry on, it is entertaining.

Prozac for anti-vaxx worry warts, forum neutralists,...& for sick Covid patients.

How a cheap antidepressant emerged as a promising Covid-19 treatment

Most Covid-19 drug treatments that have been included in trials haven’t panned out. A large new study suggests fluvoxamine might be different.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22619137/fluvoxamine-covid-ivermectin-together-study-mcmaster

... Patients given fluvoxamine within a few days after testing positive for Covid-19 were 31 percent less likely to end up hospitalized and similarly less likely to end up on a ventilator. (Death from Covid-19 is rare enough that the study has wide error bars when it comes to how much fluvoxamine reduces death, meaning it’s much harder to draw conclusions.) It’s a much larger effect than any that has been found for an outpatient Covid-19 treatment so far...

... Fluvoxamine is an antidepressant, and in the US, it’s mostly prescribed for treating OCD. It is what is known as an SSRI, short for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor — the same class of drugs as popular antidepressants like Zoloft, Prozac, and Lexapro.

Through an unusual journey, it ended up on scientists’ radars as a potential Covid-19 treatment — and subsequent research seems to bear that out...

. . .

Fluvoxamine vs Placebo and Clinical Deterioration in Outpatients With Symptomatic COVID-19 - A Randomized Clinical Trial

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2773108

. . .

Association between antidepressant use and reduced risk of intubation or death in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: results from an observational study

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-021-01021-4

Edited by lazarus

8 hours ago, Peroni said:

Interesting.

Truth welcomes questioning even encourages questioning....Truth has no need for anger....

• Like 1