COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

10 hours ago, Krapow said:

IMG-20200322-WA0003.jpg

Be careful about taking at face value some random guy's post on Twitter and reposting without some link to collaborate the information. In this case my BS meter pegged as I would find it inconceivable that once a patient was on respirator they would remove it to give to someone else.

The news in Spain is not good, and with a little bit of searching I found an article that might explain this guy's uninformed post.

Spanish hospital workers on frontline of coronavirus crisis: “This is the war of our generation”

Gabriel Heras, an intensivist at a hospital in Madrid, warns that a shortage of equipment could force doctors to make difficult decisions. “I read that Italian professionals are saying they are not going to attend to patients over 65, which sounds awful,” he says. “But if you only have one respirator, and you have to choose, we have to prioritize people with the greatest chance of survival. We haven’t reached that point yet, but we could get there and it will be very painful. The system is not going to be able to take in all the cases that are coming in.”

So according to this article dated 22 March, they may have to consider triaging patients as to who gets access to life saving equipment, but they're not there yet.

• Like 3

The Western Australian government has threatened that those who break quarantine or self isolation may be sent to "Camp Rottnest"

00000.jpg

where savage attack animals, more ferocious than the Eastern State drop bears, await.

00001.jpg

Note to government. When staying on Rottnest as a tourist can cost $AU1000 per night. Is this really meant to be a threat to force compliance.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Again BS 3rd hand reporting by UK and Aussie media.

Picture appeared on the papers here of him dead sitting on his motorbike on the sideway. More likely heart attack. Was discussed on Indo forum.

Remember the British woman a few weeks ago. 

Her and him both diagnostic AFTER they passed away.

Official result in Bali : 4 dead, of which 2 foreigners and one Javanese.

So convenient....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Picture appeared on the papers here of him dead sitting on his motorbike on the sideway. More likely heart attack. Was discussed on Indo forum.

So convenient....

You really are hopeless...

From the Jakarta Post

French national found dead on Bali sidewalk tests positive for COVID-19

Once again, I suggest reading the articles linked to before posting an opinion on something you haven't read. But then again, by your own admission, you'd rather form an opinion based on a picture of the deceased.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

So convenient....

What about the Indonesian media?

Balinese authorities have confirmed that a French national who died on the resort
island six days ago tested positive for COVID-19 post-mortem.

His body was found on top of a motorcycle on a sidewalk on Jl. Imam Bonjol in
Denpasar on Sunday.

“It was the foreign national who was found on Jl. Imam Bonjol,” Sanglah Hospital
official I Ketut Sudartana told The Jakarta Post on Saturday . “It was confirmed
after a PCR [polymerase chain reaction] test that he was coronavirus-positive.”

It was initially thought that the 72-year-man had a seizure and died of a heart
attack. His body was recovered by medical workers wearing hazmat suits.

“We are now communicating with the [French] consulate general regarding his
cremation,” the head of Bali's COVID-19 taskforce, Dewa Made Indra, said,
adding that the consulate would contact his family.

Reports of the circumstances of the French national’s death came amid concerns
that Bali has been underreporting COVID-19 cases. As of Friday, Bali reported
only four confirmed cases, none of which were cases of local transmission,
officials said.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/21/french-national-found-dead-on-bali-sidewalk-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

I believe if you deny its existence three times before the cock crows you won't catch it.

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, fforest said:

Tom Hanks 'better' after virus quarantine

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1884620/tom-hanks-better-after-virus-quarantine-down-under

Yea right.....Dont believe this for one second.........Well if a quarantine was good for Tom Hanks then everyone else should also be ok with a quarantine right?.......

And I suppose the six days in hospital did nothing or a further seven days in isolation.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I think this is one of those cases where the old fella was already ill and the virus quickly took what was left of the remainder of his life. The vast majority of deaths are similar if I understand correctly. May he and all those elderly RIP. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, fforest said:

Tom Hanks 'better' after virus quarantine

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1884620/tom-hanks-better-after-virus-quarantine-down-under

Yea right.....Dont believe this for one second.........Well if a quarantine was good for Tom Hanks then everyone else should also be ok with a quarantine right?.......

Why not? Two weeks seems to be the average recovery time for Corona, hence the 2 to 3 week lockdowns everywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Esco said:

Why not? Two weeks seems to be the average recovery time for Corona, hence the 2 to 3 week lockdowns everywhere. 

From this article, The Tip of the Iceberg: Virologist David Ho (BS '74) Speaks About COVID-19

After a person recovers from the virus, how long are they still contagious?
That's a very important question. We're not sure; one individual in China was shown to have persistent virus shedding for over a month. But typically, we're looking at a three-week period from onset of symptoms.

So three weeks of self-isolation if sick would be better than the current two weeks some of the governments are calling for.

BTW, the linked article has some very good information about the virus and thoughts on what we might expect for the future.

• Like 1

Note: Two professors  at the University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine, who are also primary care physicians, have developed an online "tool" for determining whether people with a suspected case of COVID-19 need to visit a medical facility.  LINK

Michael Hochman, M.D., is a primary care physician, associate professor of clinical medicine at the Keck School of Medicine of USC, and director of the Gehr Family Center for Health Systems Science and Innovation at Keck. Michael D. Wang, M.D., is a professor of clinical medicine at Keck and director of inpatient programs for the school’s Department of Medicine.

logo

COVID-19 Self Triage Tool

Primary Notice:

COVID-19 should be taken seriously, but in many cases you can care for yourself at home, without visiting a medical facility.

This tool was developed using the latest recommendations from the CDC, which will help you determine what to do if you think you might have symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed.

START NOW

This Coronavirus Self-Triage Guide was developed in partnership with The USC Gehr Family Center for Health Systems Sciences & Innovation, including Michael Hochman, MD, MPH, Michael Wang, MD, and Chris Hendel, MA.

From one of the more thoughtful, at least to me, Youtube channels.

He is a UK doctor, a cardiologist in normal life.

He was working on the "front line".

Until he came down with Covid-19.

He does address the argument that only the 20% "at risk" of the population needs to be isolated/quarantined.

Remember, only one side of this debate has backed their hypothesis with evidence and statistics the other, no matter how eminent its proponents, is comprised of opinion.

Some sobering statistics for those in the UK/London at about the 8 minute mark. Of those (n=196) admitted to ICU the median age was 62. Of those, only about 50% made it out.

I do recommend you watch it to the end, you've got fukall else to do.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

From one of the more thoughtful, at least to me, Youtube channels.

He is a UK doctor, a cardiologist in normal life.

He was working on the "front line".

Until he came down with Covid-19.

He does address the argument that only the 20% "at risk" of the population needs to be isolated/quarantined.

Remember, only one side of this debate has backed their hypothesis with evidence and statistics the other, no matter how eminent its proponents, is comprised of opinion.

Some sobering statistics for those in the UK/London at about the 8 minute mark. Of those (n=196) admitted to ICU the median age was 62. Of those, only about 50% made it out.

I do recommend you watch it to the end, you've got fukall else to do.

would have liked to watch that but wont open ,you do post some good vids  for which im grateful

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

You really are hopeless...

From the Jakarta Post

French national found dead on Bali sidewalk tests positive for COVID-19

Once again, I suggest reading the articles linked to before posting an opinion on something you haven't read. But then again, by your own admission, you'd rather form an opinion based on a picture of the deceased.

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/bali-records-6-covid-19-cases-2-foreigner-deaths/

Not that I believe those numbers....

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

What about the Indonesian media?

Balinese authorities have confirmed that a French national who died on the resort
island six days ago tested positive for COVID-19 post-mortem.

His body was found on top of a motorcycle on a sidewalk on Jl. Imam Bonjol in
Denpasar on Sunday.

“It was the foreign national who was found on Jl. Imam Bonjol,” Sanglah Hospital
official I Ketut Sudartana told The Jakarta Post on Saturday . “It was confirmed
after a PCR [polymerase chain reaction] test that he was coronavirus-positive.”

It was initially thought that the 72-year-man had a seizure and died of a heart
attack. His body was recovered by medical workers wearing hazmat suits.

“We are now communicating with the [French] consulate general regarding his
cremation,” the head of Bali's COVID-19 taskforce, Dewa Made Indra, said,
adding that the consulate would contact his family.

Reports of the circumstances of the French national’s death came amid concerns
that Bali has been underreporting COVID-19 cases. As of Friday, Bali reported
only four confirmed cases, none of which were cases of local transmission,
officials said.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/21/french-national-found-dead-on-bali-sidewalk-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

I believe if you deny its existence three times before the cock crows you won't catch it.

See my last post.

Immigration, people trying to extend their visa.....

So if anybody thinks I am not aware,......

260 million.inhabitants , of which 150 M on Java,  4,5 M in Bali....

Hope and prayers ! 

A bit like Thailand, dont expect much organisation.....

Thailand lockdown the pubs, but mass exodus from BKK to the provinces.....

So, we're doomed. Get used to the idea !

28 minutes ago, fforest said:

Its THE END OF THE WORLD and I feel fine...

Just get some popcorn, kick back and watch the plannedemic unfold...

I was going to go to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe but it was closed due to lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Yep 95% of us just trying to make informed pragmatic decisions based on what little is known so far.

Then there's the deniers & conspiracy theorists trying to fit everything into their tiny world view.

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

Note:  The article below is extremely long, but it's the best one I've read for explaining why COVID-19 is so serious.  I've picked out a few of the most relevant paragraphs. Click on the link if you want all the details.

Forbes.JPG.0499804838555daba33b98e629197eb7.JPG
How Does The COVID-19 Coronavirus Kill?   

What Happens When You Get Infected

Bruce Y. Lee  Senior Contributor

EDITORS' PICK|151,058 views|Mar 21, 2020,  10:00pm EDT

The SARS-CoV2 is a respiratory virus, meaning that it can enter and invade your respiratory system, the system from your nose to your lungs that allows you to breathe in oxygen and breath out carbon dioxide. There are many other kinds of respiratory viruses such adenoviruses, rhinoviruses, respiratory syncytial viruses (RSV), influenza, and other coronaviruses ...

Some of these viruses tend to stay in your upper respiratory tract while others may make it down to your lower respiratory tract. Spoiler alert: SARS-CoV2 can do both. ...

Your startled immune system may be enough to deal with this douchebag virus if everything remains in your upper respiratory tract, that is above your trachea or windpipe. In such cases, your symptoms will likely resemble those of an upper respiratory tract infection. That is, if you even have any symptoms at all. As I wrote previously for Forbes, a study showed that 17.9% of those infected ended up having no symptoms throughout their infections. Upper respiratory symptoms can include a fever, a sore throat, nasal congestion, or a dry cough. As the World Health Organization (WHO) reported, symptoms begin an average of five to six days after the virus initially infected you with a range of one to 14 days.

Real trouble occurs when your immune system begins to send chemicals and cells to not only your lungs but all over your body. The destruction then extends beyond your respiratory tract. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) describes sepsis as “the body’s extreme response to an infection. It is a life-threatening medical emergency.” Your blood pressure starts to drop, your organs starts to fail. This is DEFCON 1 for your body and possibly a point of no return.

Most people with COVID-19 don’t go down this path. According to the Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), approximately 80% of those with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 end up having mild-to-moderate disease. Mild disease tend to last about two weeks.

...  all of the estimates so far remain far above the case fatality rates for seasonal influenza, which tends to be below 0.1%. This new coronavirus may have some similarities to the flu virus in that it is a respiratory virus and can kill you. But it is not the flu. Second verse same as the first, SARS-CoV2 am not the flu. The flu SARS-CoV2 is not. It is indeed something completely new and very different. And that’s the problem.

(READ MORE)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Note:  The article below is extremely long, but it's the best one I've read for explaining why COVID-19 is so serious.  I've picked out a few of the most relevant paragraphs. Click on the link if you want all the details.

Forbes.JPG.0499804838555daba33b98e629197eb7.JPG
How Does The COVID-19 Coronavirus Kill?   

What Happens When You Get Infected

Bruce Y. Lee  Senior Contributor

EDITORS' PICK|151,058 views|Mar 21, 2020,  10:00pm EDT

The SARS-CoV2 is a respiratory virus, meaning that it can enter and invade your respiratory system, the system from your nose to your lungs that allows you to breathe in oxygen and breath out carbon dioxide. There are many other kinds of respiratory viruses such adenoviruses, rhinoviruses, respiratory syncytial viruses (RSV), influenza, and other coronaviruses ...

Some of these viruses tend to stay in your upper respiratory tract while others may make it down to your lower respiratory tract. Spoiler alert: SARS-CoV2 can do both. ...Your startled immune system may be enough to deal with this douchebag virus if everything remains in your upper r...

FFS who was this written for?

I quit at

Your startled immune system may be enough to deal with this douchebag virus

My startled immune system and the douchebag virus.

There are much better descriptions without the theatrics out there.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1