COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

NYT.JPG.fdecad5b96898327c0708b3521a3e794.JPG

Senate Debates $1 Trillion Rescue Plan; States Tell People to Stay Indoors

New Jersey, Connecticut and Illinois were preparing to issue restrictions like California and New York, and the U.S. was set to close its borders with Mexico and Canada.

RIGHT NOW

Senators plan to work through the weekend on a bipartisan economic stabilization package.

Soon more than 1 in 5 Americans will be under orders to stay mostly indoors.

One by one, localities and now some of the nation’s biggest states are beginning to limit people’s movements as they struggle to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus before fast-growing caseloads overwhelm their hospitals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KWA said:

Seems like you're arguing for the sake of it, just because you don't like Trump and his politics.  Is that really what you want to do in this thread?

No, not really. The point has been made.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

No, not really. The point has been made.

That you're a Trump hating leftist we already knew, no need to make more of such irrelevant posts. 

The Chinese virus comes from China, fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Esco said:

That you're a Trump hating leftist we already knew, no need to make more of such irrelevant posts. 

The Chinese virus comes from China, fact. 

Trump is the only man that can save us. This is a message from God. I would compare it Moses and the plague.

• Haha 1

I'm reading a lot of 'experts' saying that this will go on for months and months. The reason why the govts have only announced short-term measures is that they don't want to terrify people and provoke unrest.

They also need to shut things down in a way that limits damage in any way possible. Makes sense really when almost every govt is telling its citizens to return home immediately. 

41 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I'm reading a lot of 'experts' saying that this will go on for months and months. The reason why the govts have only announced short-term measures is that they don't want to terrify people and provoke unrest.

They also need to shut things down in a way that limits damage in any way possible. Makes sense really when almost every govt is telling its citizens to return home immediately. 

I'd say 3 months minimum before the initial outbreak is under control but people will continue to get infected until a vaccine becomes available.

Don't forget it's assumed most people will grow immune to it but 1) that's hardly a proven fact and 2) the virus could mutate. 

Safe to say April and May are pretty much a write off. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Esco said:

I'd say 3 months minimum before the initial outbreak is under control but people will continue to get infected until a vaccine becomes available.

Don't forget it's assumed most people will grow immune to it but 1) that's hardly a proven fact and 2) the virus could mutate. 

Good post.

A vaccine is no formality either. Covid-19 is a strain of Coronavirus similar to SARS.

Still no vaccine for SARS almost 20 years later.

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Good post.

A vaccine is no formality either. Covid-19 is a strain of Coronavirus similar to SARS.

Still no vaccine for SARS almost 20 years later.

Well seeing it's a formality.

Covid-19 is the name given to the disease.

SARS-CoV-2 is the name given to the virus which causes Covid-19 so yes, a very close relative of the SARS-CoV virus which caused the SARS disease.

My understanding is that research on a SARS vaccine ceased after the outbreak was contained by quarantine methods and didn't become a pandemic.

About 45% of "common colds" are caused by coronaviruses and there aren't any vaccines against them or ongoing immunity either.

Hopefully if either the Hydroxychloroquine or Remdesivir treatments prove that the disease can be managed some degree of the restrictions may be able to be lifted.

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

I wonder what Trump will do when it's pointed out that the H1N1 virus which caused the so called "swine flu" pandemic of 2009 originated in the US although identified in Mexico which is why it's PMD (pandemic mexican disease) and not PAD.

American swine flu.

And then of course, the 1918 H1N1 pandemic.

There have been statements that the epidemic originated in the United States. Historian Alfred W. Crosby stated in 2003 that the flu originated in Kansas, and popular author John Barry described Haskell County, Kansas, as the point of origin in his 2004 article. It has also been stated by historian Santiago Mata in 2017 that, by late 1917, there had already been a first wave of the epidemic in at least 14 US military camps.

So why is it called the Spanish Flu?

To maintain morale, World War I censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States. Papers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain, such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII, and these stories created a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit. This gave rise to the pandemic's nickname, "Spanish flu". Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify with certainty the pandemic's geographic origin.

But I'm/we're talking about Covid

Now wind your fucking neck in. You're as bad as Alias, only from the other extreme. 

Trying to score political points there. It's fucking boring. 

Have a day off with that shite ffs!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

But I'm/we're talking about Covid

Now wind your fucking neck in. You're as bad as Alias, only from the other extreme. 

Trying to score political points there. It's fucking boring. 

Have a day off with that shite ffs!

I did start a thread in an appropriate area of the forum where you can vomit your abuse so this thread doesn't get dragged down!

18 hours ago, Krapow said:

There's a critical incident been declared at one London hospital already, where they can't cope with those needing intensive care due to Covid 19. 

Already!  And we're only at the start of the outbreak here.

Lots will die from Covid, but lots of others will also die from all sorts as the ICU's are full and can't take anyone else.

That's my local hospital, and un-reassuring short walk away, but....

Some positive signs this morning, I think the realisation is sinking in my neighbourhood, given the lack of hospital beds that this real:

-far , far, eless people about, walking, driving or on the buses- can't stress this enough

-Food on the shelves, actually managed to buy some mince for my Sunday chilli tomorrow😀

-Some small shops starting to enforce discipline one in, one out.

Based on what I saw this morning in the past 90 minutes walking to do my shopping, I think the reality has hit home- even for  some of the f***wits.

Last person I saw was my local undertaker (normally a cheerful man if that's not a contradiction 😀 He had the look of a worried, preoccupied man this morning. Said Hello, but didn't stop to ask him how it was going, that would seem somewhat redundant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Esco said:

We are booked on flights to Thailand 25th Oct, Hotel booked in Patts, villa booked on Koh Samed, AirBnb booked in Hua Hin. I said to Wie last night I was fairly confident we would not be going.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

That's my local hospital, and un-reassuring short walk away, but....

Some positive signs this morning, I think the realisation is sinking in my neighbourhood, given the lack of hospital beds that this real:

-far , far, eless people about, walking, driving or on the buses- can't stress this enough

-Food on the shelves, actually managed to buy some mince for my Sunday chilli tomorrow😀

-Some small shops starting to enforce discipline one in, one out.

Based on what I saw this morning in the past 90 minutes walking to do my shopping, I think the reality has hit home- even for  some of the f***wits.

Last person I saw was my local undertaker (normally a cheerful man if that's not a contradiction 😀 He had the look of a worried, preoccupied man this morning. Said Hello, but didn't stop to ask him how it was going, that would seem somewhat redundant.

undertakers imo are some of the most witty of people

• Thumbs Up 1