COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 hours ago, fforest said:

You got this reversed......The conspiracy thinker hold a very huge world view....They look deep into the past and far into the future....And they need  to see evidence, officials words are not enough...

OK educate me then.

I'd class myself as pretty intelligent, certainly highly educated but understand the limits to what I know.

I'd have that down as a true mark of an intelligent person that they are self-aware enough to understand the limits of their own knowledge. 

Can you tell me then from your own academic or work background, what qualifies you to understand this pandemic?

Edited by Lemondropkid

Popped into town about 4pm and it was like it was 4am,a ghost town. 

Was talking to the fellow who runs the newsagents, said his profits have plummeted and will struggle to stay in business if it goes on too long. Small businesses are gonna struggle to survive. 

On 3/23/2020 at 11:15 PM, Lemondropkid said:

OK educate me then.

I'd class myself as pretty intelligent, certainly highly educated but understand the limits to what I know.

I'd have that down as a true mark of an intelligent person that they are self-aware enough to understand the limits of their own knowledge. 

Can you tell me then from your own academic or work background, what qualifies you to understand this pandemic?

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3

Up to 1 million Britons on holiday or on business trips abroad have been asked to return to the UK immediately by the Foreign Office, as they may not be able to get commercial flights within days.

In updated advice, the FCO said British citizens abroad who are resident in the UK should make urgent plans to cut short holidays and other trips and come back home straight away.

Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, said: “We are strongly urging UK travellers overseas to return home now where and while there are still commercial routes to do so. Around the world, more airlines are suspending flights and more airports are closing, some without any notice.

“Where commercial routes don’t exist, our staff are working round the clock to give advice and support to UK nationals. If you are on holiday abroad the time to come home is now while you still can.”

However, critics of the government point out that many people are already marooned abroad because of travel restrictions in other countries and are in desperate need of repatriation flights.

Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, is seeking an urgent meeting to force a government repatriation programme with up to 1 million Britons stranded abroad with no commercial flights or no free seats running from countries such as New Zealand.

After New Zealand announced it was going into lockdown this week, a WhatsApp group of more than 300 people claimed the British embassy had been “appalling”, with airlines not taking calls or simply cancelling flights with no notice.

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

I was going to go to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe but it was closed due to lockdown.

That’s because that bastard Zaphod coughed for a laugh at the end of his meal, to ovoid paying his bill. 
It feckin worked though. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Esco said:

Just been announced on telly that we're all to stay at home and apply social distancing in Holland at least until June 1st

Not even allowed out for food shopping, stretching your legs, seeing the dentist, etc.?

3 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Not even allowed out for food shopping, stretching your legs, seeing the dentist, etc.?

Allowed out only for work and shopping for groceries basically, although it's not a complete lockdown as such. 

Government got pissed off as people flocked en mass to parks and the beach this weekend for walk with the family etc. 

All dentists are closed except for urgent treatments. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Allowed out only for work and shopping for groceries basically, although it's not a complete lockdown as such. 

Government got pissed off as people flocked en mass to parks and the beach this weekend for walk with the family etc. 

Think that might be coming in the UK , same reasons 

5 minutes ago, Esco said:

Being announced here in an hour or two as well ........ clever Mayor of London cut underground trains so guess what ....

Yep those that did run were jam packed. ............ Buriram on lockdown as well I believe ....... but most restaurants open in Pattaya.

Mrs reckons nobody is going out in Isaan and has closed the restaurant ...........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fforest said:

You asked me a honest question so I will try and give you a honest answer......The easy answer is I think there is a lot more going on with the pandemic than just what people hear in the news....Whats going on is unprecedented....Not even during WW2 were peoples lives disrupted this much unless they were in the war zones......

The truth is no one really has a full understanding of whats happening including me...Alls I can say for sure is that some alternative views on whats going on make more sense to me than what I hear on the 5PM news....And I will just leave it at that .....

In a nut shell the #1 thing that bothers me about all this is the very heavy handed over kill measures being taken for such a low mortality rate....Millions maybe billions of people are taking heavy monetary losses and the ability to be able to support themself is being taken from them....Its beginning to sound like to me the cure is worse than the disease..

OK thanks for adding you, me and the rest of the world don't have a full understanding of what's going.

I understand from the news that there is political and business pressure in the US, for business life to return to normal. That's not for me to comment on, but clearly this reflects an alternative body of opinion.

For me I can only speak to what's happen in the UK & Ireland, and that pretty much seems to be the accepted practice and thinking worldwide. Normal life has to be put on hold until we stop this thing.

I'm not a clinician or bio mathematical modeller- I can't offer any educated insight into mortality rate. As a gambler/bookmaker, though I'm never happy to lay long shot that have a very big payout if I'm wrong.

If this is as serious as the vast majority of medical experts think, it a fair few of my friends die as a result of this. I don't really want to have to put a price on that.

I'd rather take excessive action and have the experts proved subsequently wrong, that see the downside.

24 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

UK on lockdown.

Groups of more than 2 will be dispersed.

Only allowed outside to get to/from work, shopping, one period of exercise.

All shops and non-essential services shut.

f**k me, it's worse than under Hitler. 

Might as well just top ourselves. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

f**k me, it's worse than under Hitler. 

Might as well just top ourselves. 

I still have to work. Nothing to do so I'll be glad of it.

Mosques are shut though. UK Muslim population will double within a year.

• Surprised 1