COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

NYT.JPG.52a48aeeb3308440bd88ca46e193ebdb

New York’s Case Count is Doubling Every Three Days, Says Governor

The rate of new coronavirus infections in New York is doubling about every three days, said Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. “We haven’t flattened the curve,” he said.

The peak of infection in New York could come in as little as two to three weeks, far earlier than previously anticipated, Mr. Cuomo said. The state now projects that it may need as many as 140,000 hospital beds to house virus patients, he said, up from the 110,000 projected a few days ago. As of now, only 53,000 are available.

As of Tuesday morning, New York State had 25,665 cases, with at least 157 deaths. There were around 15,000 cases in New York City alone.

(READ MORE)

Edited by Evil Penevil

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

NYT.JPG.52a48aeeb3308440bd88ca46e193ebdb

New York’s Case Count is Doubling Every Three Days, Says Governor

The rate of new coronavirus infections in New York is doubling about every three days, said Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. “We haven’t flattened the curve,” he said.

The peak of infection in New York could come in as little as two to three weeks, far earlier than previously anticipated, Mr. Cuomo said. The state now projects that it may need as many as 140,000 hospital beds to house virus patients, he said, up from the 110,000 projected a few days ago. As of now, only 53,000 are available.

As of Tuesday morning, New York State had 25,665 cases, with at least 157 deaths. There were around 15,000 cases in New York City alone.

(READ MORE)

Should be sobering figures for those who are saying "just let 'er rip".

Much more in the article but to quote here it might be construed as  political criticism of someone who appears to be a protected species.

It's starting here now .....

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/25/explainer-will-indonesia-be-southeast-asias-italy-a-review-of-how-the-nation-is-battling-covid-19.html

I love this phrase :

"Jokowi said the cultural characteristics and discipline of the Indonesian people were the two main reasons why the government had ruled out lockdown."

Means " forget it, no way to enforce it with these guys.."

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Off to work in 30 mins, work is down but still many places needing my services. Probably getting radiated every time I deliver to the Atomic Weapons Establishment at Aldermaston but at least I am earning a full wage.

Tried the vegan steak slice as recommended by one of the older staff members, very nice indeed. What will I do with myself at 5 am this morning, upsetting.

My brother in law worked on the Dragon Reactor in the very early 60’s when I was a kid and due to an accident (not his fault) he and 5 others was exposed to a high dose of radiation.

He was off work for years and the government paid him and my sister not to have children for at least 7 years!

They took the money and emigrated to Australia and he worked on the Snowy Mountain scheme I believe. 
8 years after the accident, they had their first boy, and he had serious health problems with his bones, as did their second boy a couple of years later. 

Never mess with that radiation shit.😡

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Murchie said:

Well third world country with most of the population uneducated he must know he's fighting a losing battle. 

So what chance India - Number of COVID-19 cases in India rises to 562 (including 40 cured/discharged and 9 deaths)?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/coronavirus-cases-in-india-live-news-latest-updates-march25/liveblog/74801993.cms

HKG starts the same blame game.  It's the expats fault.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-hong-kong-expats-divided-outbreak-response/

Racism is always quick to raise its ugly head in this kind of situations.

On the other hand, look at the number of western people who directly blame the Chinese.....

And the Orange weatherman making a game of it....

Just normal they throw it back in our face.

All this stupidity, with social media of course adding oil on the fire anytime they can, will end badly.....

Specially if this lasts 6 to 8 weeks more. Its one thing to feel people feeling like they participate to a patriotic war for 2 weeks, but see what happen after 1 month or more....

Very few people know what it really is to live in isolation. Except O/S rig workers, sailors, and prisoners maybe...

Edited by Thai Spice

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

On this forum, no never. Well hardly ever...

Hahaha..

I forgot to add... look at who is coming to the help of Italy...

Russia and China. An absolute disgrace for the EU, which went for "each for itself, feck the neighbour and God help us" ...

But thats the next episode. Probably next year.

Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus.

Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had
been diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement
released this morning.

The heir to the throne is said to have displayed "mild
symptoms" but "otherwise remains in good health", and has
been self-isolating in Scotland with the Duchess of
Cornwall - who has tested negative for coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-prince-charles-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11963363

It's been reported here that the virus in the Netherlands appears to be slowing down already, with an infected person only passing it on to 1 person on average versus 3 persons before. 

Fingers crossed... 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Esco said:

It's been reported here that the virus in the Netherlands appears to be slowing down already, with an infected person only passing it on to 1 person on average versus 3 persons before. 

Fingers crossed... 

That's good. Slowing down in Italy as well.

The lockdown is working.

Capturewwa.JPG.aab031e1736689e0757b2b242  

Spain's coronavirus death toll surges past China
By Lucia I. Suarez Sang | Fox News

Spain surged past China to now have the world’s second-highest tally of coronavirus deaths after seeing a 738 spike overnight — its highest so far in one day.

With at least 3,434 fatalities since the COVID-19 outbreak, the Iberian nation now has a death toll that is more than half of Italy's, which as of Wednesday morning stood at 6,820.

Spain’s Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday a 20 percent spike in infections from a day earlier, to at least 47,610. More than 5,000 people have recovered, officials said.

(READ MORE)

Things start here also, in Java at the moment

Go home: Police across Indonesia disperse gatherings over COVID crisis

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/25/go-home-police-across-indonesia-disperse-gatherings-over-covid-crisis.html

The Miss told me that even.in the small town (few 1000 inhabitants) near the village police has been closing places.

She is to attend a wedding nearby, but unlikely it will go on....

Just a matter of time before it arrives in Bali.

Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. Could this be it...

Coronavirus deaths in the US could reach peak in three weeks, epidemiologist says

A leading epidemiologist advising the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated the peak of deaths in the US coronavirus pandemic will be three weeks from now, after which "most of the damage will be done," and says it may be possible to only isolate the vulnerable, allowing many back to work.

The CDC confirmed that Ira Longini, professor at the Center for Statistics and Quantitative Infectious Diseases at the University of Florida, is a "funded partner." The agency said he works with them on Covid-19 modeling.

Modeling is not precise, and uses known data to project trends in disease spread, and there were dissenting opinions expressed to CNN about Longini's analysis. Yet two other disease experts broadly agreed with the estimate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

An alternative approach in Japan...

Needless to say I like that one. And no panic or lockdown.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/japans-winning-its-quiet-fight-against-covid-19/

Having read the article it's clear to see the the Japanese government are hiding the true figures. Economy more important than the publics health 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Murchie
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Horizondave said:

That's my delivery area, Newbury, Reading, Thatcham and Basingstoke. Nice locations, a lot of countryside. 

Loads of deer, badgers and rabbits to avoid, only squashed one rabbit so far.

I thought you were in the airline industry

1 minute ago, Murchie said:

Having read the article it's clear to the the Japanese government are hiding the true figures. 

Not really "hiding", as they admit it is their strategy.

And thats the point I agree with. No need to have tickers displayed 24/7 on TV and other media. It achieves nothing except adding to the panic and  creating a permanent climat of anxiety.

What I am surprised is that the WHO hasn't established fix and clear rules concerning how to count, what to consider in the Corona tally or not. Hence countries using different methods. Like Germany.

Also the numbers only count the people who die in hospitals or under medical care. Not those who die at home or.in old person care centers.

Etc etc....

So all those numbers are very dubious.  I guess in a year or so we should be able to compare year on year , week on week numbers between previous years and 2020. Maybe numbers counted before in ordinary flu or pneumonia, are this year in the Cor category ?

To early to analyse all this.