COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

10 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Health care is overwhelmed not because healthy people are getting it and recovering at home, but because those at risk with pre-existing conditions are catching the virus and requiring critical care.

Can't say it enough times, those at risk should be the ones protecting themselves by staying away from others. They do that, they flatten the curve and reduce the strain on hospitals.

good luck with that on the  high percentage of lifelong non conformist individualists on this forum...I count myself amongst that number but have enforced strict social distancing within my business and have  had to lay down the law on that front ...again ...today,last warnings issued or they are out

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Murchie said:

So two perfectly healthy people dying is nothing to worry about.

Where in my post did I state two perfectly healthy people dying is nothing to worry about? You want to have intelligent discussion about this, then stick to what I posted.

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

The Tube photo as a a stark example of the problem of "getting on with it.  

It's only a problem if you believe the hype, and if you think that COVID-19 is the only communicable disease out there.

People have somehow come to the conclusion that they are virus- and bacteria free if they aren't coughing, and if they're douching themselves with "sanitizing" goop.  This is false.  Your body teems with both, inside and out, every day.  You couldn't live without some of them.  Your body fights off the rest.

Infectious diseases including opportunistic infections attack and circulate among the population every day.  You are most likely "infected" with one or more right now.  We don't worry about them because those of us with normal immune systems don't have to.

Most deaths from "natural causes" are actually from infections like sepsis and pneumonia, including in "antiseptic conditions" such as in hospitals.  How do these people in "antiseptic" surroundings get these diseases?  People carry them into hospitals, hospices, etc. when they come visit, clean the place, etc.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190311125242.htm

Bacteria and viruses are facts of life.  Disease and death are facts of life.  People who panic in the face of these things, because they have watched too many movies or whatever, should quit their jobs, stay home, hide under the mattress or whatever. 

And, let the rest of us get on with it.

With the LMSM, always watch the other hand.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/25/inaccurate-virus-models-are-panicking-officials-into-ill-advised-lockdowns/

A scan of statements made by media, state governors, local leaders, county judges, and more show many relying on the same source, an online mapping tool called COVID Act Now. The website says it is “built to enable political leaders to quickly make decisions in their Coronavirus response informed by best available data and modeling.”

[...]

Their models come 100% from Imperial College UK projection that is coming under *heavy* scrutiny from scientific community. IC UK produced the famed doomsday scenario that guaranteed 2MM dead Americans. The man behind the projections is refusing to make his code public.

[...]

Founders of the site include Democratic Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins and three Silicon Valley tech workers and Democratic activists — Zachary Rosen, Max Henderson, and Igor Kofman — who are all also donors to various Democratic campaigns and political organizations since 2016. Henderson and Kofman donated to the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016, while Rosen donated to the Democratic National Committee, recently resigned Democratic Rep. Katie Hill, and other Democratic candidates. Prior to building the COVID Act Now website, Kofman created an online game designed to raise $1 million for the eventual 2020 Democratic candidate and defeat President Trump. The game’s website is now defunct.

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Where in my post did I state two perfectly healthy people dying is nothing to worry about? You want to have intelligent discussion about this, then stick to what I posted.

Apologies, poorly worded from me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Bacteria and viruses are facts of life.  Disease and death are facts of life.  People who panic in the face of these things, because they have watched too many movies or whatever, should quit their jobs, stay home, hide under the mattress or whatever. 

I'm not panicking. I'm not in hiding.

Could it be that the financially stressed and over leveraged are the one who are panicking?

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Health care is overwhelmed not because healthy people are getting it and recovering at home, but because those at risk with pre-existing conditions are catching the virus and requiring critical care.

Can't say it enough times, those at risk should be the ones protecting themselves by staying away from others. They do that, they flatten the curve and reduce the strain on hospitals.

Ok I'll try again

Recently in the UK a 21 year old woman and 47 year old died of the virus. Neither had any pre-existing health problems. For me that's a worry.

You can ask those with pre-existing health conditions to stay at home. I'm sure many will but just as many won't.

It the UK there are probably millions of people that have health issues and don't even know it. 

The pic of Grand Central Terminal is striking and shows just to what extent New York City has shut down.  On a normal day,  close to 200,000 people pass through Grand Central.

Evil

Guardiana.jpg

New York: Cuomo says early signs show coronavirus distancing may be working

in New York

Grand Central Terminal stands mostly empty as most New Yorkers have been told to stay home and avoid contact with other people. Photograph: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, has said officials are seeing very early signs that physical distancing may be starting to slow the spread of coronavirus in his state, but cautioned that the number of cases is still rising significantly and hospitals would soon be overwhelmed.

The New York City metro area accounts for 60% of new Covid-19 cases in the US. Despite that, Cuomo said it was encouraging that hospitalizations were projected to double every 4.7 days on Tuesday, compared with Monday, when the number was doubling every 3.4 days, and Sunday, when the figure was every two days.

(READ MORE)

Edited by Evil Penevil

18 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Any neighbours or relatives nearby that can help ? 

my Dads in his 80's and I'm doing his shopping , but a couple of neighbours also popped by and asked if he needed anything 

I'll probably end up doing her shopping but I've had a dodgy throat for the last 3 days.She's not desperate for anything yet anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

If the news fron New York offers a glimmer of hope, the article below swings things in the opposite direction.  Scary stuff.

Evil

SJ.JPG

Infectious Disease Expert Says Nearly Half the Patients at San Jose Kaiser Have Coronavirus
By Jennifer Wadsworth

Roughly half of all patients at the 242-bed San Jose Kaiser hospital have tested positive for COVID-19 or are suspected of being infected with the novel coronavirus.

So says Kaiser Permanente Executive Vice President Dr. Stephen Parodi, an infectious disease expert who dropped the bombshell in a recent interview with Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Editor-in-Chef Howard Bauchner.

Our San Jose facility in California actually has almost half of the hospital filled either with COVID-confirmed or persons under investigation,” Parodi told Bauchner while discussing the hospital chain’s surge plans. “So we’ve literally had to revamp the hospital to make sure that we’ve got enough capacity from a personnel standpoint. Because to provide the care to these patients requires resource intensive personnel.”

Parodi, who leads Kaiser’s national pandemic response effort, told the publication that the South Bay facility’s intensive care unit maxed out with just COVID-19 patients, forcing the hospital to set up another area to care for regular ICU wards.

Santa Clara County has one of the highest concentrations of coronavirus infections in California, with the confirmed case tally reaching 459 and the death toll going up to 17, according to public health authorities. Of those who tested positive, 137 remain hospitalized. But a lack of available tests keep the official count deceptively low.

(READ MORE)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

If the news fron New York offers a glimmer of hope, the article below swings things in the opposite direction.  Scary stuff.

Evil

SJ.JPG

Infectious Disease Expert Says Nearly Half the Patients at San Jose Kaiser Have Coronavirus
By Jennifer Wadsworth

Roughly half of all patients at the 242-bed San Jose Kaiser hospital have tested positive for COVID-19 or are suspected of being infected with the novel coronavirus.

So says Kaiser Permanente Executive Vice President Dr. Stephen Parodi, an infectious disease expert who dropped the bombshell in a recent interview with Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Editor-in-Chef Howard Bauchner.

Our San Jose facility in California actually has almost half of the hospital filled either with COVID-confirmed or persons under investigation,” Parodi told Bauchner while discussing the hospital chain’s surge plans. “So we’ve literally had to revamp the hospital to make sure that we’ve got enough capacity from a personnel standpoint. Because to provide the care to these patients requires resource intensive personnel.”

Parodi, who leads Kaiser’s national pandemic response effort, told the publication that the South Bay facility’s intensive care unit maxed out with just COVID-19 patients, forcing the hospital to set up another area to care for regular ICU wards.

Santa Clara County has one of the highest concentrations of coronavirus infections in California, with the confirmed case tally reaching 459 and the death toll going up to 17, according to public health authorities. Of those who tested positive, 137 remain hospitalized. But a lack of available tests keep the official count deceptively low.

(READ MORE)

Parodi told the medical journal reporter that doctors are seeing more than just elderly patients sickened by the pulmonary disease. Many young COVID-19 patients are unable to breathe on their own, requiring doctors to place them on mechanical ventilators that push air into their inflamed lungs.

“I think the jury’s still out about who is actually going to end up being the cohort that ends up in the hospitals,” the Kaiser exec said. “We have people that are as young as in their 30s and 40s who have clinically deteriorated and required mechanical ventilation.”

Once a coronavirus patient ends up in the ICU, Parodi said they typically require about two weeks of mechanical ventilation.

Nah. Gotta be fake news. Young people don't get sick and if they do it's just like the flu.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:37 PM, Rompho Ray said:

It's only a problem if you believe the hype, and if you think that COVID-19 is the only communicable disease out there.

People have somehow come to the conclusion that they are virus- and bacteria free if they aren't coughing, and if they're douching themselves with "sanitizing" goop.  This is false.  Your body teems with both, inside and out, every day.  You couldn't live without some of them.  Your body fights off the rest.

Infectious diseases including opportunistic infections attack and circulate among the population every day.  You are most likely "infected" with one or more right now.  We don't worry about them because those of us with normal immune systems don't have to.

Most deaths from "natural causes" are actually from infections like sepsis and pneumonia, including in "antiseptic conditions" such as in hospitals.  How do these people in "antiseptic" surroundings get these diseases?  People carry them into hospitals, hospices, etc. when they come visit, clean the place, etc.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190311125242.htm

Edited by fforest

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

I'll probably end up doing her shopping but I've had a dodgy throat for the last 3 days.She's not desperate for anything yet anyway.

First symptoms of Covid, I would get the neighbours to help and stay isolated.

• Thumbs Up 2

320px-National_Public_Radio_logo.jpg

50,000 Americans Stranded Abroad By Coronavirus Events, State Department Says
March 25, 20209:25 PM ET

As countries close borders and flights are canceled amid the coronavirus pandemic, the State Department says as many as 50,000 Americans are seeking help to return home.

The U.S. has been urging Americans to return home on commercial flights when possible, if they are not ready to stay overseas an "indefinite period of time." 

Ian Brownlee, who runs the State Department's repatriation task force, says the State Department is not getting early notices about border closures and airline cancellations, pointing out that at a major hub in Asia, Royal Thai Airlines shut down on "very, very short notice."

(READ MORE)

4 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

People who panic in the face of these things, because they have watched too many movies or whatever, should quit their jobs, stay home, hide under the mattress or whatever. 

I'm not a medical expert( own background is Economics/Maths & I.T)  so will go with what the experts are telling us here in the UK.

Implement social distancing and save lives.

Ignore this advice and "get on with it" and lose lives.

• Like 5

Guardiana.jpg.e1895beaeb3f7a4d5fa550a32d

Men are much more likely to die from coronavirus - but why?

Trend has been replicated in all nations, but scientists cannot yet fathom the cause

It has been well-publicised that Covid-19 discriminates by age and by underlying health conditions.

But it has become increasingly apparent that it also discriminates by sex, with men more likely to test positive and more likely to die from the disease.

So why are men more vulnerable?

“The honest answer is none of us know what’s causing the difference,” said Prof Sarah Hawkes, director of the UCL Centre for Gender and Global Health.

(READ MORE)

Sorry about all the discouraging stuff, but the news in the U.S. is not exactly full of sunbeams and bunnies right now.

Evil

NYT.JPG.f119e125a32c54ab7c26e5fcbd088d08.JPG

3.3 Million in U.S. Filed for Unemployment  

More than three million file unemployment claims, the most ever in a week. 

Nearly 3.3 million people filed for unemployment benefits last week, sending a collective shudder throughout the economy that is unlike anything Americans have experienced.

The numbers, released by the Labor Department on Thursday, are some of the first hard data on the economic toll of the coronavirus pandemic, which has shut down whole swaths of American life faster than government statistics can keep track.

Just three weeks ago, barely 200,000 people applied for jobless benefits, a historically low number. In the half-century that the government has tracked applications, the most applications filed in a single week had been fewer than 700,000.

“In the whole history of initial claims, there’s never been anything remotely close to that,” said Ben Herzon, executive director of IHS Markit, a business data and analytics firm.

(READ MORE)

On 3/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, Esco said:

It's been reported here that the virus in the Netherlands appears to be slowing down already, with an infected person only passing it on to 1 person on average versus 3 persons before. 

Fingers crossed... 

Looks like there has been more cases over the last few days mate. Hope you and yours are ok.

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Looks like there has been more cases over the last few days mate. Hope you and yours are ok.

There are more cases mate but it's about flattening the exponential curve. The peak is expected end of next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Esco said:

There are more cases mate but it's about flattening the exponential curve. The peak is expected end of next week. 

This freight train is just starting to pick up speed.....Next week? not a chance...

23 minutes ago, Esco said:

Passing through the most dangerous time then. Hopefully it will be a recovery after this. Holland is a very well developed country I would imagine the health service is top notch.

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Guardiana.jpg.e1895beaeb3f7a4d5fa550a32d

Men are much more likely to die from coronavirus - but why?

Trend has been replicated in all nations, but scientists cannot yet fathom the cause

It has been well-publicised that Covid-19 discriminates by age and by underlying health conditions.

But it has become increasingly apparent that it also discriminates by sex, with men more likely to test positive and more likely to die from the disease.

So why are men more vulnerable?

“The honest answer is none of us know what’s causing the difference,” said Prof Sarah Hawkes, director of the UCL Centre for Gender and Global Health.

(READ MORE)

Weight is another key factor. Especially obese and overweight men link on BBC website .....

3 hours ago, fforest said:

This freight train is just starting to pick up speed.....Next week? not a chance...

Well we've been confined to our homes for 2 weeks now so next week it will have been 3 weeks since we stopped going out, which is the maximum incubation/hospitalization period, hence the expected peak before we see a reduction in cases. 

Edited by Esco
Incubation vs hospitalization...