COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

I bet no one thought about this side-effect of the coronavirus.

Evil

BKKPost.JPG.41f3f735f17ca79e3d87f1fadb5c09d8.JPG

Global condom shortage looms

World's largest producer idled for last 10 days by Malaysian lockdown

PUBLISHED : 27 MAR 2020 AT 20:53

c1_1887890.thumb.jpg.b41e8f114da442c31268c7ab104d6c5b.jpg 

A worker tests condoms at the Karex condom factory in Pontian, 320 kilometres southeast of Kuala Lumpur. Karex Industries is the world's largest condom maker by volume. (Reuters File Photo)

KUALA LUMPUR: A global shortage of condoms is looming, the world’s biggest producer warns, as a coronavirus lockdown has forced it to shut down production.

Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms used globally. It has not produced a single condom from its three Malaysian factories in the past 10 days because of the lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.

That’s already a shortfall of 100 million condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s National Health Service or distributed by aid programmes including the UN Population Fund.

“We are going to see a global shortage of condoms everywhere, which is going to be scary,” Karex chief executive Goh Miah Kiat told Reuters this week.

(READ MORE)

7news.JPG

"China’s reduction in cases of COVID-19 has been applauded the world over, as proof that there is light at the end of the lockdown tunnel.

However, new research has shown that there could be a second wave of infections looming.

As many as 14 per cent of recovered coronavirus patients in China have tested positive again, according to medical experts.

Research showed that between three to 14 per cent of patients were diagnosed with the coronavirus, after already being given the all-clear."

(SOURCE)

That's disturbing news, for sure, but only if the recovered patients can pass on the infection.  Otherwise, it's most likely a quirk or  error in the testing.  Moreover,  the article from 7news.com.au, which may have been a pickup from the U.K.'s Daily Mail,  uses two separate studies to get the 3% to 14% range.

The Wuhan study was apparently announced on Chinese TV and then reported by The South China Morning Post.  The study found that 5 of 147 recovered patients tested positive, which is 3%.  The 7news article also states:

"The patients in Wuhan showed no symptoms after testing positive again, according to research done by the Wuhan medical.  "The researchers also found no evidence they were still infections (sic), as family members all tested negative."

The article gets the 14% figure from an earlier study done in February in Guangdong province that used a different testing method.  The 7news.com.au article didn't make clear it was referring to separate studies. It only mentioned a second briefing.

"In another briefing, deputy director of the Guangdong Centre of Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Song Tie, reportedly said there is no clear conclusion on why this happens and whether such patients could still be infectious.

The source of the news of the Guangdong study is a Feb. 26th item on CaixinGlobal,  a Beijing-based and Chinese-owned English-language news wire (14% of Recovered Covid-19 Patients in Guangdong Tested Positive Again).  It noted that follow-up tests  of recovered patients discharged from the ICU of a Guangzhou hospital indicated that 13 of them tested "weak positive" for the coronavirus using anal swabs.  The usual method for taking test samples in China is through throat and nasal swabs. None of the Guangzhou patients showed symptoms of COVID-19 or had passed on the infection to family members, according to Caixin Global.

These two studies were very small and it's a stretch to draw any generalizations from them.

In an article published March 13,  The Los Angles Times stated about several unrelated reports of recovered patients who retested positive:

"Scientists in and outside China agree that reinfection is a highly unlikely explanation for the patients who retest positive. They say testing errors are more likely to blame — either false negatives that resulted in patients being discharged too early, or false positives when they retested and were taken back into hospital.

"Those errors could be attributed to contaminated test samples, human error while taking swabs, or an oversensitive nucleic acid test that detects strands of virus."

It also noted:

"But the Communist Party’s early moves to suppress public knowledge on the extent of infections prompt concerns over the accuracy of information about recovered patients who retest positive but may have been misdiagnosed in the first place."

The lesson here is to always check the sources of information for startling information, good or bad, about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Evil

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

3 people went home feeling ill on evening shift yesterday, and one is definitely not someone who pulls a sickie. 

I've had a rough throat & tongue since Monday.I just hope that if I have got it I haven't infected the missus or our guests.I saw my mum on Mothers day but just stood outside her front door at a distance.

Seems there's a big difference in the initial symptoms for different people.

17 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

A worker tests condoms at the Karex condom factory in Pontian, 320 kilometres southeast of Kuala Lumpur. Karex Industries is the world's largest condom maker by volume. (Reuters File Photo)

KUALA LUMPUR: A global shortage of condoms is looming, the world’s biggest producer warns, as a coronavirus lockdown has forced it to shut down production.

Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms used globally. It has not produced a single condom from its three Malaysian factories in the past 10 days because of the lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.

That’s already a shortfall of 100 million condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s National Health Service or distributed by aid programmes including the UN Population Fund.

“We are going to see a global shortage of condoms everywhere, which is going to be scary,” Karex chief executive Goh Miah Kiat told Reuters this week.

(READ MORE)

This and Covid-19 is natures way of clearing out the old stock at re-stocking with next years model

4 minutes ago, bexwell said:

This and Covid-19 is natures way of clearing out the old stock at re-stocking with next years model

The ones with manufacturer's defects like holes and tears will be sold to (whatever country you think has dumb people) for 50% off.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

13 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I've had a rough throat & tongue since Monday.I just hope that if I have got it I haven't infected the missus or our guests.I saw my mum on Mothers day but just stood outside her front door at a distance.

Seems there's a big difference in the initial symptoms for different people.

I have had a bit of a sore throat and runny nose myself today. 

I've had a "frog in my throat" since I've been back, which I am always ahem-ing to try and clear. Developing into a sore throat, I think. No fever, no dry cough,  no runny nose.

However, as I've had this before in stressful periods of my life, I think it's just that back, caused by the stress of getting home, and what I've come back to.

I'm staying away from everyone anyway. Apart from milk I'm ok for food for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The ones with manufacturer's defects like holes and tears will be sold to (whatever country you think has dumb people) for 50% off.

Evil

I wasn't talking about condoms. Will there be a spike in the birthrate? A virus that seems to kill older people and a condom factory closes, new blood for the gene pool.

This is an excerpt from an unpublished survey of 18 experts on modeling predictions for infectious diseases.  The key point is:

"In summary, experts expect (i) the number of COVID19 cases to continue to rise, (ii) that a second wave of infections will occur in the fall, and (iii) that COVID infections could cause 200K deaths in the US by the end of 2020."  

You can download the summary HERE.

COVID19_expert_report.jpg.52a8c2f001378cCOVID19_expert_report_v1.jpg.8257eb0c632COVID19_expert_report_v1a.jpg.b90d41fe3c

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

However, new research has shown that there could be a second wave of infections looming.

As many as 14 per cent of recovered coronavirus patients in China have tested positive again, according to medical experts.

Research showed that between three to 14 per cent of patients were diagnosed with the coronavirus, after already being given the all-clear."

The lesson here is to always check the sources of information for startling information, good or bad, about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Evil

Stories like this are pointless unless they spell out what testing was being performed.

To the best of my knowledge there are three types of test (virology 101).

A PCR or RT-PCR which tests for viral RNA or DNA. In this case it's performed on nasal, throat or lung swabs. It can tell if you are infected or have been infected. Viral residue can be detected for days or weeks after the infection has cleared.

An antibody test, the so called "stick finger" test (I'm waiting for some journo to swap an "n" for the "c"). This tells if a person has been exposed to the virus but doesn't indicate if the person is still infected and may test positive months or possibly years after infection. It can also take days after infection before it becomes positive.

A plaque forming unit (PFU) or plaque forming assay. Material from nasal, throat or lung swabs is used to try and infect cell cultures (plaques). Different dilutions of the material are used to estimate the viral load. This test is the only one which tests if infectious viral particles are present. And of course, it's time consuming to get a result.

20181213195945_1522.jpg

A PFU test for Zika virus. The white indicates infected cells so at the left, lots of infection. As the dilution increases the infections become less to the point where they can be counted and the viral load determined.

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

(READ MORE)

Reminds me of a joke i heard...

🤔

Imagine surviving all that unprotected sex just to die from an unprotected handshake 🤝

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Remember that positive news out of Italy midweek ...... new cases levelling death rates down ......

Well they just announced 919 dead in the last 24 hours ........... words like 'Fucking Hell'  spring to mind.!!! :default_ermm:

Rate of infections down in Italy which is a glimmer of hope.

IMG_20200327_0001.pdf

The wife and I are self isolating, I started with a runny nose and sneezing on Wednesday, headaches started last night along with a high temperature, I have not started coughing yet and I am praying for one of these mild doses that are doing the rounds. Dont mind telling you fellas I am finding the not knowing whats going to happen over the next week very stressful.Wie at the moment has a runny nose and has had a mild headache.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

6 minutes ago, Binlid said:

IMG_20200327_0001.pdf 446.03 kB · 2 downloads

The wife and I are self isolating, I started with a runny nose and sneezing on Wednesday, headaches started last night along with a high temperature, I have not started coughing yet and I am praying for one of these mild doses that are doing the rounds. Dont mind telling you fellas I am finding the not knowing whats going to happen over the next week very stressful.Wie at the moment has a runny nose and has had a mild headache.

Hope it's very mild for you both , good luck 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Binlid said:

IMG_20200327_0001.pdf 446.03 kB · 2 downloads

Hope it works out well for you both

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Nearly 1k dead in Italy today alone.

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Remember that positive news out of Italy midweek ...... new cases levelling death rates down ......

Well they just announced 919 dead in the last 24 hours ........... words like 'Fucking Hell'  spring to mind.!!! :default_ermm:

Lies, all lies!

I read on here this coronavirus was all a big conspiracy started to keep us all social distancing for the foreseeable future. 

Apparently it's the top priority of the New World Order/Illuminati/Rothchilds/Rockefeller/Lizard people etc etc to make sure we all keep about 2 metres from eachother. 

Seems legit ….