COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

7 minutes ago, fforest said:

Some conspiracy guys on the internet say that when they push that cotton swab up people's nose for the test ,that there is a chance in will have Corona on it......So if you were not sick before the test you will be after......I am not sure I believe this.....But that's what they have been talking about...

I thought there was a metal hook hidden in the cotton swab and they pulled your brains out through your nose turning you into a zombie.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

It's something I was thinking about, who's making the most money outta all this, as undoubtedly there is money being made!

Apart from the stock markets ...

Not many but some.

Retail, at least supermarkets etc.

Network equipment providers. 

IT Workplace vendors. 

Day traders love the stock market right now I reckon. 

This is a threat from COVID-19 that is more dangerous than the disease itself.  Should the police and fire department in any city become unable to do their jobs, the breakdown of law and order threatens the entire social system.  I'm sure there are contingency plans in place for the National Guard to take over policing duties.  It won't be just a lockdown with a curfew; it will be martial law.

I don't think it will happen, but it's a worst-case scenario.

Evil

CBS.JPG.2540d0be2833d91deaa23fe4fd5acf03.JPG

NYPD Absences Spike as Police Call in Sick Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

UPDATED ON: MARCH 27, 2020 / 5:21 PM / CBS/AP

The New York City Police Department is seeing a huge spike in absences, even as it has been tasked with helping enforce coronavirus social distancing RULES. On Friday, 4,111 officers called in sick, accounting for more than 11% of the force. Typically, about 3% of the force is out sick, New York City police commissioner Dermot Shea told CBS News' David Begnaud.

The NYPD also announced its first coronavirus death on Thursday: Dennis Dickson, a department janitor, died from complications of the disease, Shea said.

New York has become the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the U.S., with more than 44,000 confirmed cases statewide, including over 25,000 in New York City, to date. 

As of Friday, 512 NYPD personnel have tested positive for the virus, up from 351 on Thursday and 236 on Wednesday. Those numbers include uniformed officers and non-sworn personnel who work for the police department. Of the 512 who have tested positive, 442 are uniformed officers. 

(READ MORE)

CBS7.JPG.e5ce0d997984b471a5116016e875cf9c.JPG

FDNY, NYPD Feeling the Impact
of Coronavirus on Two Fronts

Friday, March 27, 2020 7:51PM
NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- Not only are hospitals overwhelmed with patients, but on Thursday, the FDNY handled more than 6,000 911 calls - the busiest day ever for FDNY paramedics in terms of individual medical incidents.

The number is nearly double the normal amount of 911 calls and far in excess of the busiest days for medical incidents, which are New Year's Eve and July 4th during a heat wave.

The record-high call volume is largely being driven by sick calls from people who are scared or concerned they have coronavirus.

The FDNY is imploring people not to call 911 if they feel sick. Instead, they should call a doctor and only call for an ambulance in a true emergency.

Currently, there are 2,000 NYC firefighters and paramedics out sick, 17% of the FDNY. 170 members have tested positive for COVID-19, but anybody who is asymptomatic has been told they are needed at work.

(READ MORE)

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

unless i mis read it, they werent infected again and had symptoms, they were found to be carrying the virus and able to pass it on but asymtomatic

I think you did misread it.

They returned a positive nucleic acid test (RT-PCR) after a previous negative nucleic acid test. That is the nature of nucleic acid tests. They can be positive even months after an infection has cleared because they only test for fragments of the virus, not for "whole" virus particles.

The only test for "whole" virus particles capable of being passed on and causing infection in another person is a PFU test.

But don't take my word for it. Here are extracts from an article describing a similar anomaly from a different incident but with a bit more detail.

In the small JAMA study, throat swabs from one hospitalized patient and three patients in home
quarantine treated at Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University from Jan 1 to Feb 15 were tested
with RT-PCR for COVID-19 nucleic acid to determine if the patients could return to work.

Criteria for hospital release or return to work included normal temperature for at least 3 days,
resolved respiratory symptoms, substantially improved lesions on chest computed tomography
(CT), and two consecutive negative RT-PCR test results at least 1 day apart.

RT-PCR results of the patients, two men and two women aged 30 to 36 years, were positive, and CT
scans showed mild to moderate areas of fluid buildup. The patients were given antiviral medication
and recovered 12 to 32 days after symptom onset. After meeting the criteria for hospital release or
lifting of quarantine, the patients were asked to remain at home for another 5 days.

RT-PCR was performed again 5 to 13 days later and repeated three times over the next 4 or 5 days—
and all tests were positive. Another RT-PCR test with a kit from a different manufacturer confirmed
the results. The patients were asymptomatic, CT showed no changes, and they reported no contact
with anyone with respiratory symptoms or infected family members.

Although the results are interesting, it should be noted that RT-PCR measures viral genomic
material but doesn't necessarily indicate contagiousness
, said Stanley Perlman, MD, PhD, professor
of microbiology and immunology at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

"Genomic material comes from virus, of course, but it does not indicate that infectious virus is
present,"
Perlman said, adding that a positive test means that virus or was present a day or two
before. "Certainly [RT-PCR] is useful diagnostically; it is less useful for telling us whether someone
is contagious
." He was not involved in the study.

He added, "The patients may be patient carriers or they may just have viral genomic material
without any infectious virus. It is hard to know—and hard to know if they are infectious as well.
This is all murky at present."

Florian Krammer PhD, virologist and vaccinologist in the Department of Microbiology at the Icahn
School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City, said on Twitter that the RNA of many viruses
can be detected months after viral shedding has ended

"Follow-up tests can turn positive after a few negative tests, eg because sampling was better,"
Krammer said. "Also, and this is a very important point, just because somebody still tests positive
in a nuclei acid-based test does not mean they are still shedding infectious virus.
"

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/some-covid-19-patients-test-positive-days-after-recovery

And if you go to the original source of the article Evil posted, the South China Morning Post you find

Wang Wei, president of Tongji hospital told CCTV’s prime-time programme that of the 147 recovered
patients they studied, only five – or just over 3 per cent – have tested positive in nucleic acid tests again after
recovery.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076989/coronavirus-10pc-recovered-patients-test-positive-later-say

Edited by fygjam
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Homor said:

Wtf is happening in Italy ? How long are they in total lockdown now and still the numbers are getting worse . Nearly 1000 dead yesterday in 1 day . No sign that things are improving there

The rate of infections has been declining daily now for the past week. That is positive news. They didn't act fast enough at the beginning.

55 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I think you did misread it.

They returned a positive nucleic acid test (RT-PCR) after a previous negative nucleic acid test. That is the nature of nucleic acid tests. They can be positive even months after an infection has cleared because they only test for fragments of the virus, not for "whole" virus particles.

The only test for "whole" virus particles capable of being passed on and causing infection in another person is a PFU test.

But don't take my word for it. Here are extracts from an article describing a similar anomaly from a different incident but with a bit more detail.

In the small JAMA study, throat swabs from one hospitalized patient and three patients in home
quarantine treated at Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University from Jan 1 to Feb 15 were tested
with RT-PCR for COVID-19 nucleic acid to determine if the patients could return to work.

Criteria for hospital release or return to work included normal temperature for at least 3 days,
resolved respiratory symptoms, substantially improved lesions on chest computed tomography
(CT), and two consecutive negative RT-PCR test results at least 1 day apart.

RT-PCR results of the patients, two men and two women aged 30 to 36 years, were positive, and CT
scans showed mild to moderate areas of fluid buildup. The patients were given antiviral medication
and recovered 12 to 32 days after symptom onset. After meeting the criteria for hospital release or
lifting of quarantine, the patients were asked to remain at home for another 5 days.

RT-PCR was performed again 5 to 13 days later and repeated three times over the next 4 or 5 days—
and all tests were positive. Another RT-PCR test with a kit from a different manufacturer confirmed
the results. The patients were asymptomatic, CT showed no changes, and they reported no contact
with anyone with respiratory symptoms or infected family members.

Although the results are interesting, it should be noted that RT-PCR measures viral genomic
material but doesn't necessarily indicate contagiousness
, said Stanley Perlman, MD, PhD, professor
of microbiology and immunology at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

"Genomic material comes from virus, of course, but it does not indicate that infectious virus is
present,"
Perlman said, adding that a positive test means that virus or was present a day or two
before. "Certainly [RT-PCR] is useful diagnostically; it is less useful for telling us whether someone
is contagious
." He was not involved in the study.

He added, "The patients may be patient carriers or they may just have viral genomic material
without any infectious virus. It is hard to know—and hard to know if they are infectious as well.
This is all murky at present."

Florian Krammer PhD, virologist and vaccinologist in the Department of Microbiology at the Icahn
School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City, said on Twitter that the RNA of many viruses
can be detected months after viral shedding has ended

"Follow-up tests can turn positive after a few negative tests, eg because sampling was better,"
Krammer said. "Also, and this is a very important point, just because somebody still tests positive
in a nuclei acid-based test does not mean they are still shedding infectious virus.
"

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/some-covid-19-patients-test-positive-days-after-recovery

And if you go to the original source of the article Evil posted, the South China Morning Post you find

Wang Wei, president of Tongji hospital told CCTV’s prime-time programme that of the 147 recovered
patients they studied, only five – or just over 3 per cent – have tested positive in nucleic acid tests again after
recovery.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076989/coronavirus-10pc-recovered-patients-test-positive-later-say

all that confirms what i said, they are asymptomatic, no symptoms but carry the virus and could poss pass it on?

On 3/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, fygjam said:

I thought there was a metal hook hidden in the cotton swab and they pulled your brains out through your nose turning you into a zombie.

Edited by fforest

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Some conspiracy guys on the internet say that when they push that cotton swab up people's nose for the test ,that there is a chance in will have Corona on it......So if you were not sick before the test you will be after......I am not sure I believe this.....But that's what they have been talking about...

yes...there will be false positives as there are in any test 

its a non issue 

2 hours ago, fforest said:

'Some conspiracy guys on the internet' 

Translated means - Some misfits who can't live in the real world, haven't the mental capacity, are so insecure they have to make an imaginary world where they knows things that the general public don't, need a sense of belonging with other like-minded odd balls and flock to read what those odd balls are saying on the internet.  

Fair enough, I'll not get the test until Alex Jones says it's safe 🙄

28 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

all that confirms what i said, they are asymptomatic, no symptoms but carry the virus and could poss pass it on?

They could also have 20 inch penises but just as a nucleic acid test can neither confirm of deny that, so a nucleic acid test can neither confirm or deny if a person is infectious.

It is not a definitive test!

Which gets back to my reason for responding to Evil's post. A press article which says "5 people tested positive after previously testing negative" is pointless from the point of conveying accurate information re can a person become reinfected or remain infectious after all other symptoms have cleared.

29 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

haha .tell us how many tests you have had Fyg...lol

Just be careful, that scratching you hear at the backdoor in the middle of the night just might be we of the undead paying a visit.

PS. Please leave milk and biscuits out. It's murder trying to find them in the supermarkets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Just be careful, that scratching you hear at the backdoor in the middle of the night just might be we of the undead paying a visit.

PS. Please leave milk and biscuits out. It's murder trying to find them in the supermarkets.

poor Santa...no sherry by the fireplace for her ...him,...mandeer  etc

41 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Not very nice of the Co-Op lumping the elderly & vulnerable with the NHS staff!

Just say you're a disabled NHS staff member, how do you decide when to shop?

Edited by dcfc2007

4 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

leave it out.. its a bit pathetic attacking boris for doing the clap,,,he did not breech any rules that would increase tranmissibility of the virus

he was late out of the starting gate for 2 days ...would you want to make that call  given the poverty that would inflict on families

there is no rule book for this...making it up on the fly...if they generally get it sort of right ...thats good enough...will do better in future once we know what that future is 

be kind...we all need that right now

Make what call exactly?

He was admittedly shaking hands with Corona patients and encouraging people to continue shaking hands. 

No rulebook lol give me a break. 

Hope he recovers nonetheless. 

Edited by Esco

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Make what call exactly?

He was admittedly shaking hands with Corona patients and encouraging people to continue shaking hands. 

No rulebook lol give me a break. 

Hope he recovers nonetheless. 

likewise

this was a very steep learning call for all of us

trying to make political capital at this time is much more scumbaggish  than the errors ,made in good faith by the people you lambast

Its a rapidly evolving scenarjo...i think people should be excused their  prognostications in the early stages of this epidemic

just my opinion..he has since stepped up to the apparent reality

i would hate to be in his position...you are always wrong...they are  making it up on the fly...as they should

The head of UEFA said European football leagues were still looking at all options and not ruling out finishing this season - if the coronavirus pandemic subsides.

"We could start again in mid-May, in June or even late June," Aleksander Ceferin told Italy's La Repubblica daily.

Any time after that and "the season will probably be lost," he said. 

www.rte.ie