Amazing Thailand

forcebwithu

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another “This is Thailand” story from yesterday here. My Honda SUV is due for new tires, going to Pattaya soon and feel better knowing that they are new. I bought the current BF Goodrich’s that are on there now back in June 2017, good tires, no problems at all. They could probably go another 10k miles, but just get it done now. Bought these at the local “B-Quik” shop about 20 minute drive from the house. Wifey and I both get our oil changes etc. from them on occasion, sometimes for more expansive repairs, we take them to our local dealerships.

So I need 235/65R17 for this SUV. Wifey calls them Thursday, they say great, bring it in we have some Bridgestones that are just the size etc, the $25k baht will include mounting/balancing and because this is a 4 WD ( we need this here in Minburi LOL! ) we will also do the 4 wheel alignment. Wifey confers with me, I get all the details of the tires, look them up on the internet and she calls this guy back and tells him yes this is good and he tells her, he will reserve these tires for me and bring it in at 9:00am.

Done deal…I get there at 9:00am, told wifey stay at home, I have done this before, they have all the info from your phone call etc. I know some of you who live here full time, year around are thinking to yourself about now “I bet when Yessongs got to the shop, they told him, Ahhhhh solly sir, we no hab that tire here” If you thought that for 1 minute….you are now my friend for life! Yep, that’s exactly what they told me!  Ok being that I was born at night…..........but it wasn’t last night, I realize that indeed “This is Thailand” I am going forward though, have wifey teach me how to say in Thai “Excuse me, but I am now going to my car and get my AR-15 and say your last prayers to Buddha” LOL! 

So…as you can imagine, I am NOT happy. Of course, the English speaking level of any person in that entire shop is non existent. I call wifey, explain the situation to her, I put her on the speaker phone to the guy and I do NOT know what she is saying, but man oh man, she put this guy on blast! She is very, very mellow as a general rule, but even she has a breaking point with dealing with her fellow countrymen. This poor guy, dealing with a 5’4, 113 pound Thai girl frothing at the mouth like a Pitbull and her Farang Husband who about now is getting “yoked up” like Hulk Hogan ready to rip his shirt off in front of everyone. 

At this point, I look around and every Thai guy there in that shop, started throwing up “The Wai” to me….after hearing wifey blast the Manager over the speaker phone! Ok, Ok, Jai Yen, Jai Yen Yessongs…..

So after a 20 minute verbal beating by wifey to this Manager, they found the exact same size tires that are by Michelin and even though they were $29k baht out the door, he gave them to me for the same as the Bridgestones at $25k baht…and the rest is history. I feel better knowing that even at B-Quik, you can get a “Happy Ending”  And before you ask, “Well…what happened to the Bridgestone tires that they reserved for you”?  Who knows? One other thing, I MUST be the Village Idiot here, they now put “Nitrogen” in your tires as an upside, instead of regular air??  Yep…..the tech ( who was cool, pic included)  hands me his Samsung Galaxy phone, says something in Thai, it translates to English and that’s what it said…..what ever LOL! 

God I love this place…really I do. IMG_1627JPG.jpgIMG_1634.JPGIMG_1632.JPGIMG_1631.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

[...] 

One other thing, I MUST be the Village Idiot here, they now put “Nitrogen” in your tires as an upside, instead of regular air??  Yep…..the tech ( who was cool, pic included)  hands me his Samsung Galaxy phone, says something in Thai, it translates to English and that’s what it said…..what ever LOL! 

Nitrogen in the tires has some advantages over regular air (which already is about 80% nitrogen). There is a distinct lack of oxygen (about 20% in regular air), which has a tendency to oxidize the rubber of your tires, especially at higher temperatures. There is also a distinct lack of water vapor, which can cause pressure fluctuations by condensating and evaporating.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, fygjam said:

If you get the nitrogen for free, no problem.

If you pay for it, sucker, I've got a bridge for sale.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/top-10-reasons-why-nitrogen-wont-help-your-tyres

Plus many more, even from tyre manufacturers.

You are correct that it isn't worth paying (much) for, most advantages are negligible. However, the advantages are significant enough in aviation that nitrogen is the standard.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Yessongs what happened to the tires that you had reserved, did they sell them to someone else?

That possibility jogged a memory from about 15 years ago when I was getting my then GF's land ready for planting rubber trees.

Having read up on the different hybrids I selected the hybrid I wanted and found a nursery with the seedlings in stock. Visited the nursery with my GF and agreed on the price they were asking, locked in the deal with a deposit and reserved the seedlings for planting after the dry season ended in two months time. The picture below are the seedlings with my lady's name proudly displayed showing they were reserved for her and the 1,000B deposit paid.

That turned out to be a smart move as over the next two months demand for that particular hybrid increased, which in turn brought about a significant price increase in the seedlings.

Well planting time rolls around, we drive the truck up to the nursery only to find they had sold our reserved stock to someone else because of the higher price they could get. It was only after we returned home I also learned the greedy bastards had also cheated my lady out of her deposit as well. Amazing Thailand.

image.jpeg

• Sad 6

21 hours ago, fygjam said:

If you get the nitrogen for free, no problem.

If you pay for it, sucker, I've got a bridge for sale.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/top-10-reasons-why-nitrogen-wont-help-your-tyres

Plus many more, even from tyre manufacturers.

It was free...believe me. 

21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

@Yessongs what happened to the tires that you had reserved, did they sell them to someone else?

That possibility jogged a memory from about 15 years ago when I was getting my then GF's land ready for planting rubber trees.

Having read up on the different hybrids I selected the hybrid I wanted and found a nursery with the seedlings in stock. Visited the nursery with my GF and agreed on the price they were asking, locked in the deal with a deposit and reserved the seedlings for planting after the dry season ended in two months time. The picture below are the seedlings with my lady's name proudly displayed showing they were reserved for her and the 1,000B deposit paid.

That turned out to be a smart move as over the next two months demand for that particular hybrid increased, which in turn brought about a significant price increase in the seedlings.

Well planting time rolls around, we drive the truck up to the nursery only to find they had sold our reserved stock to someone else because of the higher price they could get. It was only after we returned home I also learned the greedy bastards had also cheated my lady out of her deposit as well. Amazing Thailand.

image.jpeg

Never got a firm answer to the question of what happened to the tires that were supposedly reserved for me....you know the drill here, let wifey/gf find out...even they can't get a reasonable answer. I have to say though, these Michelin tires are great...smooth as silk. 

18 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just had the haircut in Bangkok, first time I'd used this salon. Not as exciting as @Yessongs car story but even the little things can be fun here.

Got a terrific cut from a lady certainty at least in her early 50s.

The lad before me was an early 20 something good looking gym rat and she's all business with him.

She's finishing up, shaving the back of my neck with a straight edged razor. She looks at me in the mirror and gives me the classic " You handsum man"😀, she pauses and then says "No very handsum!!"

100 baht tip secured! I know she's lying but walked out with a spring in my step🥳

Outstanding.....too bad she didn't ask you " Mr LD KId, I can shave your balls in the back room for another 100 baht tip Na Ka? LOL! 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
Anntonia Porsild, Miss Universe Runner-up, and Sheynnis Palacios, Miss Universe 2023 went to visit 'Ko Muangphet', Thailand's famous white buffalo, who is 4 years and 11 months old, weighs 1,500 kilogrammes, and stands 175 centimetres tall, to help promote the Songkran tradition at Baan Phra Athit in Bangkok. Jay, the owner of Wana Suwan Farm, appeared to greet them.

"The buffalo is a significant symbol for Thai culture, primarily used for agriculture and farming as a symbol of strength," Anntonia went on to say. "We meet P'Ko (Brother Ko), the world's largest and most expensive buffalo."

Sheynnis said she had been following P'Ko's stories on social media. She knew this white buffalo was worth 18 million baht. "I'm very happy to have met him."

423236003_853374933501683_7528079140925940054_n.jpg

435756759_853374850168358_4881495737056555082_n.jpg

425767918_853374756835034_2172843269438033632_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the video in this story. Not for the meek...

. . .

SWISS NATIONAL IN COMA AFTER BRUTAL HIT IN PATTAYA
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/04/22/swiss-national-in-coma-after-brutal-hit-in-pattaya/

A Swiss man on three-wheeled scooter hit by car in middle of intersection in Pattaya; CCTV captures shocking footage; Thai wife fears case will be hushed up and pleads with media for justice.

On April 22, reporters received a complaint from Mrs. Samrit, 55, that her 73-year-old Swiss husband, Mr. Andreas Geissbühler, was hit by a car driven by another person, causing his three-wheeled electric scooter to skid across the road. The horrifying moment was clearly captured on CCTV.

The incident occurred at around 9:50 AM on April 19, 2024. After the accident, the other driver refused to take responsibility and instead told Mrs. Samrit to deal with the insurance company, even though her husband was still in a coma and being treated in the ICU at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital...

. . .

Screen grab from video. Full video in story.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 062745.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

. . .

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/04/22/swiss-national-in-coma-after-brutal-hit-in-pattaya/

A Swiss man on three-wheeled scooter hit by car in middle of intersection in Pattaya; CCTV captures shocking footage; Thai wife fears case will be hushed up and pleads with media for justice.

On April 22, reporters received a complaint from Mrs. Samrit, 55, that her 73-year-old Swiss husband, Mr. Andreas Geissbühler, was hit by a car driven by another person, causing his three-wheeled electric scooter to skid across the road. The horrifying moment was clearly captured on CCTV.

The incident occurred at around 9:50 AM on April 19, 2024. After the accident, the other driver refused to take responsibility and instead told Mrs. Samrit to deal with the insurance company, even though her husband was still in a coma and being treated in the ICU at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital...

. . .

From the video it is only evident that the white car hit the Swiss man. It appears the Swiss man just drove across the road without looking and the white car assumed right of way.

I can only say that, 'this is Thailand', and apportioning blame may be a difficult pursuit by the Swiss man's partner. The white car had probably been driving down that railway road alt the way from the number 7 turn off, and just was assuming he had right of way at every junction unless blocked.

The only thing that would have stopped him would be if other traffic in front had come to a halt to allow other traffic across, otherwise they would just carry on driving without slowing down. That is why most of us crossing those sections, do so, with very cautious awareness. I always gave way if seeing traffic bearing down on me

Just a very sad situation.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

From the video it is only evident that the white car hit the Swiss man.

In the video, what about the silver car that stopped at the intersection that the white car went around? Looks like it was giving the cross traffic the right of way?

TiT...don't assume anything, right?

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

. . .

. . .

Interesting to see the video rather than the stills that were previously published.

Hate to blame the victim, but the guy on the e-bike didn't even turn his head to look for crossing traffic. You can't ride like that and expect to survive for long.

Wonder how much his age and possible decline in mental acuity factored into this accident.

Discussion on the accident in this topic too.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Interesting to see the video rather than the stills that were previously published.

Hate to blame the victim, but the guy on the e-bike didn't even turn his head to look for crossing traffic. You can't ride like that and expect to survive for long.

Wonder how much his age and possible decline in mental acuity factored into this accident.

Discussion on the accident in this topic too.

Point taken but the car driver did'nt appear to be exercising any caution either judging by the speed he was traveling at imo.

25 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Point taken but the car driver did'nt appear to be exercising any caution either judging by the speed he was traveling at imo.

I agree. Both didn't exercise caution going through the intersection and the guy outside the protection of the metal cage paid the heaviest price.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

In the video, what about the silver car that stopped at the intersection that the white car went around? Looks like it was giving the cross traffic the right of way?

TiT...don't assume anything, right?

I couldn't make the video play, but I would say agree with you not to assume anything, with the addition of the fact that if it is bigger than you, give it the right of way whether it belongs to them or not...