Best Middle Eastern Airline

AJSP

Looking to head back in March 2023 and I’m a bit fed up with a long 11/12hr flight with Eva / Thai ( never thought I’d say this), and having flown non direct in a December and April just gone realised I quite enjoy a 2 hour layover to stretch the legs.

anyone got any recent experience on Arab airlines😎

Emirates are currently using predominantly A380 s.  

If you fly business, a car and chauffeur is included at the UK end, in the price, a factor to be taken into account when pricing.

Just as Covid was starting I got transferred from Finnair to Qatar, with its Q suite; excellent flight but now very expensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Is that facility only available within a 100 mile radius of the airport or have things changed?

1 minute ago, john luke said:

I think it is now 50 miles.

Just now, Derek Dangleberries said:

Holy Shit !!!!!

Website says 70 miles 

• Thanks 1

I only have experience with Emirates and except for the transfer times, it was a very positive experience.

From AMS to BKK, the transfer time at Dubai was a bit short, especially with two small children, from BKK to AMS it was a bit long, no real problem except small children don't like waiting without anything to do.

EDIT: On my own and especially without children, I would do it again as long as the price was right.

Edited by Freee!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say that I took Emirates back in 2019 just to have that break of 2 hours roughly each way and it wasn't fun.

Reality was that I spent the whole transfer time each way rushing through security and between gates including a bus just to barely make my flight. I wouldn't do that again as both flights arrived in Dubai late and the rush was not what I signed up for. 

I recently traveled Finnair and it was less transfer time, but flights arrived each way into Helsinki before time and a relaxing transit was my experience. 

Even if Emirates was on time the crowds of transit passengers (of which there are many) make for an uncomfortable transfer experience.

I would always try to take a nonstop flight if the prices were right to avoid possible assault course issues but if I had to transfer somewhere I would avoid Emirates in Dubai.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

Last year during Covid took Qatar Airlines Q Suites. On the first leg we (3) were the only ones in Biz. Talk about being spoiled. The Steward even offered to make up two center seats into a twin bed, I had window seat. In other words, I would be occupying 3 Biz seats.

This year I took JAL, and I was extremely disappointed with their product. No Champagne! Not even offered pre take off cocktail on both legs.

Edited by CalEden
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not a shot at you personally @AJSP, but us poor North Americans who love the Kingdom 🇹🇭 and all it offers……would also  love to have the “problem” of an 11-hour direct flight. I’ve always been lucky enough to keep it right at 24 hours or less(return is usually 21 because of the jetstream), but in this age of delays, labour strife, missed connections etc……I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear stories of guys who lost 2-3 days getting there. 

As I’ve said before, I cannot imagine going over for less than 6 weeks, have to make it count when it’s so bloody long to get there. I agree that is nice to stretch the legs, maybe splash on some cologne, change shirts….never been an issue for me because it was always 3 legs, longest was 9 hours Vancouver-Tokyo. Now that I’m back in Montreal, very possible that I have a 13 hour hop Toronto-HKG or similar. 

I remember one BM on Secrets, who came from very far away for like a 3 day trip, and go right back to USA, I think? Damn…..

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, CalEden said:

This year I took JAL, and I was extremely disappointed with their product. No Champagne! Not even offered pre take off cocktail on both legs.

Took JAL back in 2009-10 for 8 month trip, for no other reason than it fit my dates & price was right…..$1,100 CAD when I wanted to book ASAP AND return almost a year later was great. Being quite a novice traveller at 33, I was very impressed by the smoothness of the old 747…think it was only from Narita, the long leg from Chicago was 777…..I remember 3-4-3 seating, thank God I got the aisle on that one, my knee! 

But yes I can see your frustration, looking back there was nothing luxury about JAL. I remember the 747, upon arrival they let me take a quick pic sitting in the 1ST Class pods behind the cockpit.  Ugly colours, cheap materials…..I actually had a row to myself UPSTAIRS in economy. What happened to the staircase leading to a nice bar and first class, in Hollywood movies like Snakes on a Plane???

I’m not critical at all, like I said I have little experience flying internationally. Plus I knew I was barfining an Isaan lovely in 3 hours or so after landing, that always helps.

But yeah, JAL doesn’t look like they’ll be voted “Best Of” anything, anytime soon

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I have to say that I took Emirates back in 2019 just to have that break of 2 hours roughly each way and it wasn't fun.

Reality was that I spent the whole transfer time each way rushing through security and between gates including a bus just to barely make my flight. I wouldn't do that again as both flights arrived in Dubai late and the rush was not what I signed up for. 

I recently traveled Finnair and it was less transfer time, but flights arrived each way into Helsinki before time and a relaxing transit was my experience. 

Even if Emirates was on time the crowds of transit passengers (of which there are many) make for an uncomfortable transfer experience.

I would always try to take a nonstop flight if the prices were right to avoid possible assault course issues but if I had to transfer somewhere I would avoid Emirates in Dubai.

Agree with the emirates comments. For me the flight up top is great, but the transfer at Dubai is awful.... too many people, to far to walk, and not enough signage....

I used to enjoy flying up front with Oman, excellent flights, short (ie around 2 hours) transfer time, and being a smaller airline the airport was easy to negotiate. The only "downside" was they had no airbridges, and so you were bussed to and from the plane. They have built a new airport that avoids this, but I haven't flown with them since this opened. 

Flying with Kuwait next month, and hoping they are better than their reviews but am not expecting much...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Not a shot at you personally @AJSP, but us poor North Americans who love the Kingdom 🇹🇭 and all it offers……would also  love to have the “problem” of an 11-hour direct flight. I’ve always been lucky enough to keep it right at 24 hours or less(return is usually 21 because of the jetstream), but in this age of delays, labour strife, missed connections etc……I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear stories of guys who lost 2-3 days getting there. 

As I’ve said before, I cannot imagine going over for less than 6 weeks, have to make it count when it’s so bloody long to get there. I agree that is nice to stretch the legs, maybe splash on some cologne, change shirts….never been an issue for me because it was always 3 legs, longest was 9 hours Vancouver-Tokyo. Now that I’m back in Montreal, very possible that I have a 13 hour hop Toronto-HKG or similar. 

I remember one BM on Secrets, who came from very far away for like a 3 day trip, and go right back to USA, I think? Damn…..

Middle America even worse. Total travel time is at least 30+ hours door step to door step. My trips on the other hand are to visit family and after a couple of days I've had my fill and I'm chomping at the bit to make the long trip back to home (Thailand).

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Now that I’m back in Montreal, very possible that I have a 13 hour hop Toronto-HKG or similar.

Have you considered going eastward? Montreal-Amsterdam is 7 hours and 25 minutes and Amsterdam-Bangkok direct is about 12 hours, similar times for Paris and Frankfurt a. Main.

Used Etihad (via Abu Dhabi) a few times a few years ago.  Timings and connections were always quite good, prices usually reasonable. Up to that point I had convinced myself that two flights of 6 hours with a chance to stretch my legs in between was the way to go. Once I took my first direct flight with Thai Airways I decided that was my preference. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Middle America even worse. Total travel time is at least 30+ hours door step to door step. My trips on the other hand are to visit family and after a couple of days I've had my fill and I'm chomping at the bit to make the long trip back to home (Thailand).

Same with flying out of northern Canada - my trips to Thailand are usually 28-32 hrs total duration. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Same with flying out of northern Canada - my trips to Thailand are usually 28-32 hrs total duration. 

I often wonder why you guys don't fly to Europe, then non stop to bkk.

My estimate would give you around 20 hours flight time.

Maybe it isn't cost viable. 

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I often wonder why you guys don't fly to Europe, then non stop to bkk.

My estimate would give you around 20 hours flight time.

Maybe it isn't cost viable. 

From northern Canada I would like at polar routes to Scandinavia and from there to BKK, for the east coast I've often recommended looking at flying to Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1