The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I don't see the need to talk to a doctor if the only thing is that you want to reduce or stop taking pain killers. The sooner you can get by without codeine the better methinks. Reducing the amount gradually is the way to go because if you experience pain, your body may react and get inflammation which will cause additional problems and subsequent pain in itself. 

The depression that can be experienced is also an issue,  but you have already managed through that.

Slowly but surely is the way to go.

Good advice.

I just took a phone call from my Doctor's Practice. it would seem they have had second thoughts about seeing me after all. I have a 10'30 appointment on Friday with the senior Partner at the Practice to whom the original two page letter about my medications was sent by the Royal Hospital.

I would place a very large bet that it was the old cow of a Receptionist who decided there was no need for me to see the Doctor. 😄

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I must admit that prior to my operation when I was at my lowest ebb I consulted a "faith healer" along with my mate John who has has a terrible stutter.

We made our financial contribution and entered the faith healer's inner sanctum.

He muttered some kind of prayer and then in a loud voice said

"Danny, throw away you crutches" I threw away my crutches.

"John, John my son. Speak to me!"

"Ddddddddddddddddddddddddannyy's faaalllleeeeen over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/14/2023 at 3:31 PM, Jambo said:

I must admit that prior to my operation when I was at my lowest ebb I consulted a "faith healer" along with my mate John who has has a terrible stutter.

We made our financial contribution and entered the faith healer's inner sanctum.

He muttered some kind of prayer and then in a loud voice said

"Danny, throw away you crutches" I threw away my crutches.

"John, John my son. Speak to me!"

"Ddddddddddddddddddddddddannyy's faaalllleeeeen over!

That's great, thanks for the surprise laugh it cheered up a rather gloomy day.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

Awesome stuff Dan.

When my GP came  out of his room and announced my name to the waiting room I quite deliberately left my cane with my daughter and walked towards him and into his room without the trace of a limp. I was being a bit naughty.

He was not my usual GP but the senior Partner to whom the Royal Hospital sent a detailed letter at the time of my discharge. He obviously had been reading my notes but looked a bit puzzled and made a point of studying the wall calendar.

I laughed and said "Not bad for 10 days after my operation."

"Indeed" he said "I was just checking the date of your operation"

Anyway, he was more than happy to agree that with immediate effect I was to cease co-codamol, Etoricoxib and Omeprazole which is what I wanted to hear. Apart from anything else, co-codamol  makes one constipated. The little green tablets I take to counter that give one the galloping shites. It will be good to get back to normality. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Anyone here suffer from rheumatic pain in their hands?.

I've started to get a dull ache more and more regularly after work these days, it's not too bad in the morning, but they get stiff and sore later on in the day if I'm busy.

It only came on at the start of this year really, but I'd be interested if anyone has a tried and trusted method that they use.

I can put up with the discomfort, rather than take NSAIDS at least for now.

8 hours ago, Butch said:

I've started to get a dull ache more and more regularly after work these days, it's not too bad in the morning, but they get stiff and sore later on in the day if I'm busy.

It only came on at the start of this year really, but I'd be interested if anyone has a tried and trusted method that they use.

I've had the same for several years now. I chalk it up to all the wear and tear on my hands from my sport activities. The pain is low enough it's easy enough to ignore without resorting to meds. If it gets worse I'll go see a Dr. for advice on how to deal with the increased pain.

• Like 2

Great thread. I’m on a weight loss programme. Lost 2.5kg on our august trip to Thailand and 5kg in the last two weeks here , so today I’m 12.5kg  long way to go but aiming for 100kg ( was 120kg) by the end of November. 

Long term, my ideal weight should be 90kgs, as I’m big boned 😂😂

this last week I’m on a TDR - total diet replacement which is NHS funded for fat bastards. It’s tough but will be worthwhile - https://www.england.nhs.uk/diabetes/treatment-care/diabetes-remission/

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/17/2023 at 2:04 AM, Butch said:

I've started to get a dull ache more and more regularly after work these days,

I had some years ago now and my Doctor said the best thing was to keep the hand etc active as much as reasonable. He also said Glucosamine might help, which I thought it did.

Over the counter stuff - think I just got mine from Aldi.

There are different opinions on the efficacy of it though - maybe try it.

Just opening & closing the fist as "exercise" also seemed to help.

The 'pain" was low level and it seem to just fade away. I still do the so called "exercise" occasionally.

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, Butch said:

Gloves can help a bit...I use them.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 171029.JPG

• Great Info 3

6 hours ago, Zeb said:

I had some years ago now and my Doctor said the best thing was to keep the hand etc active as much as reasonable. He also said Glucosamine might help, which I thought it did.

Over the counter stuff - think I just got mine from Aldi.

There are different opinions on the efficacy of it though - maybe try it.

Just opening & closing the fist as "exercise" also seemed to help.

The 'pain" was low level and it seem to just fade away. I still do the so called "exercise" occasionally.

I take Glucosamine daily. Started on that for a bad shoulder rather than the ache in my hands. Wasn't sure if it would do anything, but after about a month I noticed the pain in my shoulder had decreased, so I'm now a believer in the supplement.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, AJSP said:

Great thread. I’m on a weight loss programme. Lost 2.5kg on our august trip to Thailand and 5kg in the last two weeks here , so today I’m 12.5kg  long way to go but aiming for 100kg ( was 120kg) by the end of November. 

Long term, my ideal weight should be 90kgs, as I’m big boned 😂😂

this last week I’m on a TDR - total diet replacement which is NHS funded for fat bastards. It’s tough but will be worthwhile - https://www.england.nhs.uk/diabetes/treatment-care/diabetes-remission/

Well done!

Keep it up as if I can stick to a diet everybody can.

My original goal was to get below 90kgs by the 13 October being six months on the diet. To date I have lost 22 of the 26 kgs to achieve that so 4kgs to go. I have decided to amend that by making it 5 kgs still  to go when I will revert to a more healthy low carb diet reintroducing appropriate fruit and veg.

When I achieve that ( I am back after the short break on the carnivore/fasting plan) I will weigh in at 13st 12lb in old money. That will be just 5lb above my ideal football playing weight of 13st 7lb which never altered for 10 years or more.

I am absolutely certain that the key to me successfully losing weight is that I totally only eat food that I enjoy. I don't have to count carbs because 95% of what I eat has none! The only supplement I take is electrolytes dissolved in my water cooler.

I am probably boring members by my repetitive posts on this subject but it helps me focus on the overall goal. I am determined  I am not going to fail.😃

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I take Glucosamine daily. Started on that for a bad shoulder rather than the ache in my hands. Wasn't sure if it would do anything, but after about a month I noticed the pain in my shoulder had decreased, so I'm now a believer in the supplement.

I take a turmeric & glucosamine supplement daily,both are supposed to be very good for joint pain.

• Great Info 3

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Well done!

My original goal was to get below 90kgs by the 13 October being six months on the diet. To date I have lost 22 of the 26 kgs to achieve that so 4kgs to go. I have decided to amend that by making it 5 kgs still  to go when I will revert to a more healthy low carb diet reintroducing appropriate fruit and veg.

When I achieve that ( I am back after the short break on the carnivore/fasting plan) I will weigh in at 13st 12lb in old money. That will be just 5lb above my ideal football playing weight of 13st 7lb which never altered for 10 years or more.

I am absolutely certain that the key to me successfully losing weight is that I totally only eat food that I enjoy. I don't have to count carbs because 95% of what I eat has none! The only supplement I take is electrolytes dissolved in my water cooler.

I am probably boring members by my repetitive posts on this subject but it helps me focus on the overall goal. I am determined  I am not going to fail.😃

Not boring at all. Inspiring as many of us struggle to keep the pounds off, especially after packing in work.

Would be interesting to see a daily list of what you eat and drink and at what time, say over a week period.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not boring at all. Inspiring as many of us struggle to keep the pounds off, especially after packing in work.

Would be interesting to see a daily list of what you eat and drink and at what time, say over a week period.

Does it include deep fried Mars Bars?

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

Well done!

I’m going down that path you’ve successfully navigated and really need to at 52 ( not stone) and the reality is that some of us require a huge lifestyle change. I’m hoping I can stay on this and when at my eventual weight, try and maintain it with healthy eating and some regular gentle exercise 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:04 PM, Butch said:

Sometimes it is changing your diet, foods high in Acid like Citric fruit are bad for joints.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

I start off my week by cooking one and sometimes two packs of streaky bacon in my Air Fryer. I cook them until they are crispy. I break them up and they go into a tub in the fridge. I do similar with a kilo or so of chicken wings. Half a dozen eggs go in a steamer and they go in the fridge. I cook more eggs if required.

The above forms the basis in various forms for my literal "break fast" meal at 10:00 am for 4/ 5 days alternated with smoked haddock, scrambled eggs or, what I had this morning, being kippers. Occasionally they would do for an afternoon snack but as a very small portion.  

Tonight I had five lamb chops cooked in the Air Fryer.

Currently In my fridge or freezer are two ribeye steaks, four pork chops, fresh salmon steaks, cod fillets and smoked salmon/king prawns.

The above forms the basis for my second meal for the rest of this week which I have to eat by 6pm as I do not eat again until 10:00am the next day.

No fruit/No vegetables 🤣

I drink lots of water and up to a maximum of two coffees a day with double cream NOT milk.

I am sure many would be aghast at the above.

I feel really healthy. I never feel hungry and in the five months I have been on this diet I have averaged losing just over a kilo a week.

It works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

15 hours ago, Jambo said:

10 hours ago, boydeste said:

Not boring Dan, i take me hat off to you and its good to know how you're doing it. When i reached 106kg i knew it was time to do something. When i arrived in Thailand i was 93kgs but all the enjoyment i was having was piling on the KG's so i just stopped all the shit food i was consuming, job done i got down to 90kgs in a few months and i'm maintaining it ever since👍

I'm still a fat bastard though 🤣   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday: 14 Days after my hip replacement Operation

The district nurse came early today to change my dressing except when she took the old one off she found the wound was completely healed so no new one needed. She made me laugh when she said

" You didn't get this done at the Jubilee (Glasgow) did you?"

"No at the Royal (Edinburgh) " says I

"I thought so. The ones done at the Jubilee always fall off!" 😄

(There is s certain class of Edinburgh folk who look down on "Weegies" i.e anybody who lives to the west of Edinburgh Airport. 😉 I worked for a year in Glasgow and they made this "English bastard" ( term of endearment) very welcome.)

Good day for me.

I walked into Town this morning and had a grossly overpriced cappuccino in "Dnisi" . About 12 minutes to Town but a good 15 minutes return because it is 75% up hill. Does not sound like a lot but 15 days ago I virtually could not  walk at all.

The Hospital (NHS) handbook says to take an hour's rest each day which I welcomed. After that I did my complete series of 10 set exercises which I can now do in there entirety.

I think I have a cold developing with a tickly cough. So I had my second walk of the day to the local pharmacy which recently changed ownership after a terrible reputation. I left with some cough medicine and they must be trying to attract back customers as the lady Pharmacist put it though as if it was on prescription which meant it was free.

A little tiring but no pain other than what one would expect from muscles learning about exercise again.

A good day.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4