The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

Down to the hospital early for blood work this morning; pre-Covid  they would open at 0700 and remain so until 1700 with an hour break for lunch, Monday to Friday - nowadays they open at 0800 and close at 1300 so you can imagine how busy it gets. I went in mid-morning on a Wednesday a couple of months ago and it went easily but when I tried it again a month later it was ridiculous, I had six people ahead of me and when the line didn't move at all for half an hour I gave up and walked out. However, you can come in at 0730 and pick a ticket from the machine and wait comfortably for them to open at 0800 which is what I did today and I was only third in line and was out of the place within 45 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Yesterday, my gal pal "Noi"  and I were chatting it up. Great gal, lean and deceivingly strong. Over the years with ALL women, they are strong in their lower bodies, but not as much in their upper bodies. 

IMG_0414.JPG

Dead lifts are one of the lifts I avoid. But she is using reasonable weight.

I often do bent over rows for my back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Go metric and you'll have a smaller number to look at. :default_biggrin:

When I was made redundant in February last year, I was 60 kilograms, as I was very active at work. But in my last job I was sitting down all day and put weight on. So I do a minimum of 45 minutes a day on the treadmill at the gym, and my weight is coming down and my fitness is improving.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

When I was made redundant in February last year, I was 60 kilograms, as I was very active at work. But in my last job I was sitting down all day and put weight on. So I do a minimum of 45 minutes a day on the treadmill at the gym, and my weight is coming down and my fitness is improving.

There ya go mate. 40 minutes plus is the magic number to get hearbeat up enough to burn calories. 

In addition any other walking you can get in. Use stairs, further away from entrances parking spots, etc. whenever possible. Look for opportunities (even small ones), in time they will become habits and as you go they will become routine and something you won't even have to give much thought.

It's all about mind set, and simple math.

• Like 1

I was going to join the Neath Leisure Centre gym on Monday (part of the Celtic leisure group) but realised that, with Kataleya having 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Year, it would be foolish to join now. 

Children are just not allowed into the gym area (for obvious reasons), so will join in the new year. The membership was only £27.50 a month, and allows usage of their large swimming pool, classes and sauna area. The whole place only opened in February and is worth the money, but I mainly joined to get fit in the warmth and security of an indoors location, it bloody rains here everyday. I have to commit to 3 months only, then it is a rolling deal.

Come the summer I will do most of my exercise while walking and cycling in the outdoors.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I was going to join the Neath Leisure Centre gym on Monday (part of the Celtic leisure group) but realised that, with Kataleya having 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Year, it would be foolish to join now. 

Children are just not allowed into the gym area (for obvious reasons), so will join in the new year. The membership was only £27.50 a month, and allows usage of their large swimming pool, classes and sauna area. The whole place only opened in February and is worth the money, but I mainly joined to get fit in the warmth and security of an indoors location, it bloody rains here everyday. I have to commit to 3 months only, then it is a rolling deal.

Come the summer I will do most of my exercise while walking and cycling in the outdoors.

My gym is a gym only, no sauna or swimming pool etc, but they do have classes, personal trainers etc.

It is only £24 a month and no tied in contract, so I can cancel anytime.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

No it's a private one , but even the most basic gym over here is about £50 a month 

Google Pure Gym as they have loads around the country, they may have one near you and they are cheap and no tied in contract.

My local one is brilliant, full of equipment, but I only use the treadmill, and there is about 15 to 20 of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Got a request from my GP surgery asking me to go for a prostate cancer test.

Being over 50.

Hopefully it involves a sexy little nurse sticking her finger in my bunghole.

555 or your Doctor who used to play in goal for his university football team .. hands like shovels ... 😜

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Funny you mentioned the above. The only machine type that I use are a pull down bar, and a pec deck. Everything else can be done with a good set of dumbells.

Starting today I will be looking for  a different place. Getting a little pissed off at the place I go to. Usually happens with gyms. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Funny you mentioned the above. The only machine type that I use are a pull down bar, and a pec deck. Everything else can be done with a good set of dumbells.

Starting today I will be looking for  a different place. Getting a little pissed off at the place I go to. Usually happens with gyms. 

Yes.... already found a place much better and closer to home. When  things reach a certain point changes are in order, and action needs to proceed. 

Only other option is putting up with shit that is not favorable or acceptable. 

Many things we have minimal or no control over. Other things we can make changes and are within ourselves to act on. 

Risk is involved in everything we do and decisions we make.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Bloody hell , you guys are lucky , I just received a reminder that my annual membership is up in January and will continue at £105 a month .. 

Oh dear... You need to look into that mess mate. There's got to be better options. Most places now offer good/reasonable terms. 

Fcuk pools (unless they are needed for therapy, saunas (only cause dehydration), I don't do classes, or spinner classes. 

Stick with the basics, try to work out a routine when you are able to go when least crowded. Schedule it into your day as an absolute high priority.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Oh dear... You need to look into that mess mate. There's got to be better options. Most places now offer good/reasonable terms. 

Fcuk pools (unless they are needed for therapy, saunas (only cause dehydration), I don't do classes, or spinner classes. 

Stick with the basics, try to work out a routine when you are able to go when least crowded. Schedule it into your day as an absolute high priority.

Spin class is a great cardio workout. 

• Thumbs Up 1