The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Of all the expats i know here in Korat i only know one who works out in a gym, guess who ? Some do walks or have some gym equipment at their home but they are very much in the minority.

Answer - Our very own Coxyhog 👍

Trouble is I don't spend enough time there!

I can highly recommend Jetts gym at Save One market,cost me 1700b for a months membership & well worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Of all the expats i know here in Korat i only know one who works out in a gym, guess who ? Some do walks or have some gym equipment at their home but they are very much in the minority.

Answer - Our very own Coxyhog 👍

That's impressive, so hot at the moment I'm struggling to find the energy to make it to the condo exercise room.

Maybe if I had a decent large gym with AC I might make the effort- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:default_blushing:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

That's impressive, so hot at the moment I'm struggling to find the energy to make it to the condo exercise room.

Maybe if I had a decent large gym with AC I might make the effort- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:default_blushing:

and you are not alone in your thinking, i tend to find many many issues that prevent me from exercising (stroke sufferer etc) but the plain truth is that i could do some exercises but at 73 i just can't be asked.

I salute the guys and gals that have the balls/pussies to just get on with it, wifey being one of them 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does anybody know whether Gabapentin is available over the counter in Thailand.I have worked out I will be 6 days short of it on my upcoming trip, its such a palaver to get an advance of a controlled drug from my Surgery so just looking for some to put me over until my prescription is due.

On another note I was put on the waiting list for a left Knee replacement yesterday.Surgeon said It was almost bone on bone 

12 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Does anybody know whether Gabapentin is available over the counter in Thailand.I have worked out I will be 6 days short of it on my upcoming trip, its such a palaver to get an advance of a controlled drug from my Surgery so just looking for some to put me over until my prescription is due.

On another note I was put on the waiting list for a left Knee replacement yesterday.Surgeon said It was almost bone on bone 

I wish you well.

I waited well over 2 years for my hip replacement operation and only jumped the waiting list when my hip became so bad that the surgeon mentioned the possibility of complete collapse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Binlid said:

I just asked in a pharmacy, no problem 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Binlid said:

Are you in the UK?

I order my repeats through Evergreen Life & if I'm going away I order them early & tell them the reason why.

Never had a problem.

https://www.evergreen-life.co.uk/health-wellbeing-library/order-your-repeat-prescriptions-online/

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Binlid said:

I found that telling the surgery that I was going away for 3 months holidays, always ensured I get 3 months prescriptions for my controlled drugs. 

40 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I found that telling the surgery that I was going away for 3 months holidays, always ensured I get 3 months prescriptions for my controlled drugs. 

In my jurisdiction, I am on the seniors' government "Pharmacare" plan - they will only pay for a maximum of 3 month's worth of meds whether you're going to be going somewhere or not; if you want to take more with you it would be at your expense; needless to say, I make up the shortfall when I am in Thailand or Cambodia, especially the latter as the meds that I take are much cheaper there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

In my jurisdiction, I am on the seniors' government "Pharmacare" plan - they will only pay for a maximum of 3 month's worth of meds whether you're going to be going somewhere or not; if you want to take more with you it would be at your expense; needless to say, I make up the shortfall when I am in Thailand or Cambodia, especially the latter as the meds that I take are much cheaper there. 

Sorry mate, I’d assumed wrongly as it turns out, that you were in UK and under the NHS. 😟

Apologies for that. 🤪

24 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Sorry mate, I’d assumed wrongly as it turns out, that you were in UK and under the NHS. 😟

Apologies for that. 🤪

I think you meant this reply for Binlid, but I do live in Canada and was just putting in my 2b worth...

I enjoy my mornings at the gym, do a minimum 45 minutes on the treadmill fast walking. Just helps me switch off and listen my music. Forget about the other shit in my head.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, galenkia said:

I enjoy my mornings at the gym, do a minimum 45 minutes on the treadmill fast walking. Just helps me switch off and listen my music. Forget about the other shit in my head.

Yep, same, gym helps me more mentally than physically.

So does diving, and also recently discovered so does the calm, silence and peacefulness of the snowy wilderness.

You can just switch off, get a reset. You should try stuff like that Gal, I'd wager it would help you like it helps me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/20/2024 at 11:02 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

and you are not alone in your thinking, i tend to find many many issues that prevent me from exercising (stroke sufferer etc) but the plain truth is that i could do some exercises but at 73 i just can't be asked.

I salute the guys and gals that have the balls/pussies to just get on with it, wifey being one of them 👍

I have been a major pussy lately. But will be getting back into the routine soon.

This heat is brutal.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:03 PM, Krapow said:

Yep, same, gym helps me more mentally than physically.

So does diving, and also recently discovered so does the calm, silence and peacefulness of the snowy wilderness.

You can just switch off, get a reset. You should try stuff like that Gal, I'd wager it would help you like it helps me.

Quiet is wonderful. Routine can be very positive also.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:05 AM, Phantom51red said:

Called the uk docs yesterday to get blood results for gout ,5 things were satisfactory she said and unlikely its gout,er so wtf is it then,the medic on the boat was %100 sure its gout,can make a follow up appointment for 3 weeks time she told me,no ill be back at bloody work by then,still cant straighten thumb,maybe its trigger thumb tho not as painfull as before its still a hinderance so to speak,been taking 2 nexocin 500mg a day since left uk 16 days ago.

If it still isn't sorted then maybe...

I knew I walked a lot when in Bangkok,Pattaya & Jomtien so I just checked on the app on my phone.

I averaged 3.23km over my last 18 days in Thailand & a lot of that was with a sore calf muscle.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, redwood13 said:
I have had atrial fibrillation for about 18 years and all too frequently my heart rate has been running in the low 40's and I've occasionally had spells of lightheadedness and dizziness.  This can lead to fainting, which will likely be at the wrong place and wrong time.  So last Monday I had a pacemaker installed.  But not the commonly used type with a battery implanted in the chest and leads going to the heart, but instead it's the newer leadless pacemaker.  

This consists of a metal cylinder smaller than a AAA battery.  It's inserted into the femoral vein at the groin and implanted into the right atrium of the heart.  The cylinder has a threaded end and this is screwed into the wall of the heart.  Battery is supposed to last 15 to 25 years.  As I'll be 87 in August battery live is not really a concern for me.  However it can be removed or simply left in place and a second cylinder installed.  

Procedure lasted about 2 hours and I had a (miserable, sleepless) overnight stay.  I took the pressure bandage off on Wed morning and could shower.  No driving for a few days to protect the incision.  Otherwise not much drama post-op.

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

My father had major vascular issues, surgeries, etc.

He lived to be a solid 96. 

Best wishes to you in your recovery and adjustment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redwood13 said:
I have had atrial fibrillation for about 18 years and all too frequently my heart rate has been running in the low 40's and I've occasionally had spells of lightheadedness and dizziness.  This can lead to fainting, which will likely be at the wrong place and wrong time.  So last Monday I had a pacemaker installed.  But not the commonly used type with a battery implanted in the chest and leads going to the heart, but instead it's the newer leadless pacemaker.  

This consists of a metal cylinder smaller than a AAA battery.  It's inserted into the femoral vein at the groin and implanted into the right atrium of the heart.  The cylinder has a threaded end and this is screwed into the wall of the heart.  Battery is supposed to last 15 to 25 years.  As I'll be 87 in August battery live is not really a concern for me.  However it can be removed or simply left in place and a second cylinder installed.  

Procedure lasted about 2 hours and I had a (miserable, sleepless) overnight stay.  I took the pressure bandage off on Wed morning and could shower.  No driving for a few days to protect the incision.  Otherwise not much drama post-op.

Good move, fainting is not a good idea if it can be avoided. Did you have the operation in thailand or your home country?

58 minutes ago, Krapow said:

This purple peaflower health drink thing is gorgeous.

20240412_201717.jpg

20240412_201714.jpg

20240412_200815.jpg

You can by the dried flowers from Villa Market ( probably many other places as well ... ) 

latin name .. Clitoria ternatea

IMG_6111.jpeg

• Great Info 1