Retirement - put it off or take it early?.

Butch

Retirement question for all.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. As a retiree, would you have carried on working given the choice (if working part time was offered)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As an employee, will you work beyond retirement age of 65 for men if given the option (including reduced hours / part time)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What do you miss most, or think you would miss most if you retired (open to all)

• Colleagues
    • Routine
    • Income
    • sense of purpose

4 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Having a child educated in Thailand or in the UK was the main reason we decided to come back to the UK. 
My wife was happy to leave her family behind in order that our child had a good education here and we’ve been extremely lucky to get him into the top schools in the area, the final one of which is probably the best secondary school in the County which he started in September.
Despite us being well outside the catchment area, we managed to squeeze him in. 

There are some damned good schools in Dorset.. but perhaps I am biased... I went to Wimborne Secondary Modern which became Comprehensive when they closed Wimborne Grammar School .

We played rugby against Canford, Byanstone, Clayesmore and always giving them a damned good game. Cross Country County level was always run at Lychett Matravers over your way..

Regarding expat International schools. You and @Krapow made the right decision. I think @Horizondave mentioned it too. When I went contracting a very good friend stayed on as a permie Senior Manager with the entitlement to send his kids to the best International schools wherever he worked. We would meet up occasionally for a beer and he purposely brought along his kids so that I could tell him what I thought.....and I didn't hold back.. They were the most arrogant little shits I had ever met. No social awareness. No ability to communicate to a country boy like me..The worst thing though was that the arrogance wasn't supported by knowledge or life experience .. they just "knew" that they were better than everybody else.

He agreed and sent them back to UK to attend a "proper school"!!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2023 at 7:45 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

BINGO, i could'nt quite believe my luck when my National Sales Director asked me if i was interested in retiring early at 50 yo. The company was restructuring and they needed to lose some senior managers and at 49yo and after doing 25 years with the company he thought i might be interested, if i accepted he wanted me to help with restructuring in my last year.

They offered me a deal which was like winning the lottery, full pension as if i'd worked to the normal retirement age of 60.

The job was becoming more and more stressful as i was aging so early retirement was a no brainer for me and then i went on to work for a mate of mines company looking after problem kids (autism, ADHD etc) i could choose what days i worked and i found it very satisfying to be doing something totally different benefiting young kids as opposed to sales.   

Your head must have been spinning when they made you that offer. 

What an unexpected surprise that must have been.

I'm sure though you acted coy initially. But, at the first opportunity went into the toilet and had a big wank !

55555 !

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

There are some damned good schools in Dorset.. but perhaps I am biased... I went to Wimborne Secondary Modern which became Comprehensive when they closed Wimborne Grammar School .

We played rugby against Canford, Byanstone, Clayesmore and always giving them a damned good game. Cross Country County level was always run at Lychett Matravers over your way..

Regarding expat International schools. You and @Krapow made the right decision. I think @Horizondave mentioned it too. When I went contracting a very good friend stayed on as a permie Senior Manager with the entitlement to send his kids to the best International schools wherever he worked. We would meet up occasionally for a beer and he purposely brought along his kids so that I could tell him what I thought.....and I didn't hold back.. They were the most arrogant little shits I had ever met. No social awareness. No ability to communicate to a country boy like me..The worst thing though was that the arrogance wasn't supported by knowledge or life experience .. they just "knew" that they were better than everybody else.

He agreed and sent them back to UK to attend a "proper school"!!

A good point about the arrogance associated with the Thai International School education.

A mate had his kid go to International school and at the age of 9 he was one arrogant, smarmy, condescending little bugger. He would ask the most stupid questions that a boy with a broader worldly knowledge wouldn't ask, he just thought he was smart. What the hell do they teach them in Thailand.

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

A good point about the arrogance associated with the Thai International School education.

A mate had his kid go to International school and at the age of 9 he was one arrogant, smarmy, condescending little bugger. He would ask the most stupid questions that a boy with a broader worldly knowledge wouldn't ask, he just thought he was smart. What the hell do they teach them in Thailand.

Stuff like that is usually more the parents influence. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Your head must have been spinning when they made you that offer. 

What an unexpected surprise that must have been.

I'm sure though you acted coy initially. But, at the first opportunity went into the toilet and had a big wank !

55555 !

🤣🤣🤣

In fact i did somewhat over react to the offer minus the wank lol, here they were (National Sales Director and Head of Human Resources) sitting together and when the NSD made me the offer i jumped off my seat with my fist in the air shouting Yessssssssssss, they could'nt quite believe my response but we all had a good laugh.

I felt i only did what any substantial lottery winner would do when confronted with the fantastic news ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

I retired to Thailand back in June 2006 some three years after my wife died.

For the previous 8 years I had been a self employed accountant working from home building up a client bank of some 50 customers including in the end six large pubs from the same brewery chain. They were a major income source as I did everything for them including running their payrolls and negotiating fines with the Inland Revenue when they got caught hiding income from, say,  live music nights or gaming machines. 😉

So in 2006, I sold my client bank to another accountant, took my private pension and retired to Pattaya.

I had the time of my life getting pissed every night and having the pick of all Secrets new girls. I even had a business card printed with my title of "Honorary Pussy Tester." That lasted for about 3 months when I realized that as enjoyable as this was my health was suffering and I reverted to "Retirement Mode" and basically socializing at weekends only.

Ben was a mate then. In fact he was more like the younger brother I never had.

I did an initial set of " Management Accounts" for Secrets because he did not trust Alan his own Manager. There was a lot of "black holes" in the initial recording of expenditure and cash introduced by shareholders but as far as I could tell Alan had done an excellent job in recording day to day income/expenditure once Secrets opened.

As much as I was enjoying retirement, Thailand style, I was happy to help out in the office as Alan's main role was head chef and he was a really good Chef.

Then one day we all received a message on our phones from Alan telling us he was at Bangkok Airport on his way to Papua New Guinea to run the catering for a Gold Mine. The next day I became Secrets General Manager so full time employed again. 

There then followed several of the happiest years of my life. It was not like work because all Secrets customers were visiting  with the aim of having a great time and most did just that .............in spades! We were a great team as well all getting on with one another.

Then Ben f***d it all up with his lifestyle and Poker addictions all funded through Secrets Bank account. I still had the responsibility to somehow pay all the bills and I found myself waking up in the night wondering how I was going to pay the staff.

Eventually, I walked away because enough was enough.

What a shame.

• Great Info 7

5 years into retirement now and not regretting a minute of it.

Stopped work at 55 when my financial advisor said I could and spent about 50% of my time in Thailand for the first year or so, then March 2020 got "stuck" here by Covid for a long stretch of about 18 months.  Since then it's been 90% here with visits back to the UK where I've kept my house, car etc.  Nice to have the place to go back to even if money-wise it's probably a bad move.

Wouldn't change what I've done given the choice again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

I retired to Thailand back in June 2006 some three years after my wife died.

For the previous 8 years I had been a self employed accountant working from home building up a client bank of some 50 customers including in the end six large pubs from the same brewery chain. They were a major income source as I did everything for them including running their payrolls and negotiating fines with the Inland Revenue when they got caught hiding income from, say,  live music nights or gaming machines. 😉

So in 2006, I sold my client bank to another accountant, took my private pension and retired to Pattaya.

I had the time of my life getting pissed every night and having the pick of all Secrets new girls. I even had a business card printed with my title of "Honorary Pussy Tester." That lasted for about 3 months when I realized that as enjoyable as this was my health was suffering and I reverted to "Retirement Mode" and basically socializing at weekends only.

Ben was a mate then. In fact he was more like the younger brother I never had.

I did an initial set of " Management Accounts" for Secrets because he did not trust Alan his own Manager. There was a lot of "black holes" in the initial recording of expenditure and cash introduced by shareholders but as far as I could tell Alan had done an excellent job in recording day to day income/expenditure once Secrets opened.

As much as I was enjoying retirement, Thailand style, I was happy to help out in the office as Alan's main role was head chef and he was a really good Chef.

Then one day we all received a message on our phones from Alan telling us he was at Bangkok Airport on his way to Papua New Guinea to run the catering for a Gold Mine. The next day I became Secrets General Manager so full time employed again. 

There then followed several of the happiest years of my life. It was not like work because all Secrets customers were visiting  with the aim of having a great time and most did just that .............in spades! We were a great team as well all getting on with one another.

Then Ben f***d it all up with his lifestyle and Poker addictions all funded through Secrets Bank account. I still had the responsibility to somehow pay all the bills and I found myself waking up in the night wondering how I was going to pay the staff.

Eventually, I walked away because enough was enough.

What a shame.

Good post Jambo. Indeed life is a roller coaster, especially when responsible for other people.

The thing that wore me down the most near the end was supervising people. Many of the employees were constantly throwing curve balls, either intentionally or unitentionally. Along with that some of the others at my level or above were shucking off their responsibilities. So a heavier burden fell on me. Stress and resentment began to add up.

I refused to join the club of half assed effort and laziness. In my eyes and soul it was just not acceptable. I knew that holding on longer would only be to my detrement. 

The day the magic number hit I turned my stuff in, walked out ther door and have never returned. No bitterness whatsoever, it's just how I chose to manage it. The experience and memories will be with me every day. But sometimes it is best to just cut and go. Not one regret.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4