Retirement - put it off or take it early?.

Butch

Retirement question for all.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. As a retiree, would you have carried on working given the choice (if working part time was offered)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As an employee, will you work beyond retirement age of 65 for men if given the option (including reduced hours / part time)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What do you miss most, or think you would miss most if you retired (open to all)

• Colleagues
    • Routine
    • Income
    • sense of purpose

1 hour ago, Butch said:

It appears that many BM's have been lucky in respect of pensions and retirement arrangements. A cynical part of me asks if some companies are keen to get rid of log term employees because their contracts and T&C's are more favourable than the new ones offered, hence a motivation on their part to dispense with them.

Actually, I think its just our age.  I know the company I worked for did away with pensions in 2005 for all new hires, and tried to convince current employees to switch our pensions to enhanced 401K contributions.  They didn't get many takers.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, forqalso said:

But studies like that can be skewed. What is a major reason for taking early retirement? Poor health. Couldn’t that be a reason for the early deaths for early retirees and not early retirement itself? Correlation does not imply causation.

The highlighted red bit is why I don't put too much stock in any one study.

I believe there are other studies out there that point out some leave this dimension soon after retirement because of the shock to the system of going from 40+ hours a week, full on work mode, to doing fck all in retirement. I believe that should be a concern for work aloholics. Me, I always lived by the model I work to afford my time off.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

the Baby Boomers and Gen X have been very lucky when it comes to pensions not many places in the U.K. offer the final salary pensions to younger workers and probably none in the private sector ... 

we have also been lucky with property prices as well , enabling us to have retirement choices that generations before and probably after ... don't have 

Yep, I'm lucky to be in a final salary scheme and have 25 years in it, along with a further 6 years of service I purchased using another private pension, so 31 years all tolled. If I work another 3 years that will take me to 55, and that was originally my plan.

However, plans change and are flexible. My biggest concern isn't the financial aspect, but the massive hole it will leave in my life. I can't play golf, I don't really want to be buggering about with cars anymore and filling the time will be difficult. I spend 50+ hours a week at work, so it is a big gap to fill.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

However, plans change and are flexible. My biggest concern isn't the financial aspect, but the massive hole it will leave in my life. I can't play golf, I don't really want to be buggering about with cars anymore and filling the time will be difficult. I spend 50+ hours a week at work, so it is a big gap to fill.

I can't play golf either but it took me 35 years of trying to come to that conclusion.

To enjoy retirement one just has to have other interests otherwise there really is a massive hole and you just vegetate.

Is there anything more sad than the guys you see sitting in a bar in the middle of the afternoon in Pattaya nursing a half of lager.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Is there anything more sad than the guys you see sitting in a bar in the middle of the afternoon in Pattaya nursing a half of lager.

Yes there is. The guys sitting in a bar in the middle of the morning nursing a pint of lager along beach road - not a small number.

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Jambo said:

36 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Yes there is. The guys sitting in a bar in the middle of the morning nursing a pint of lager along beach road - not a small number.

What is wrong with that?

Do you know what they were doing before having that beer? Do you know what they will be doing after that beer?

Jeez, I never thought I'd see criticism of other expat's lifestyles on this forum.!

I was having a beer in PBG at 09:50 this morning. Ten minutes before it opened..Does that mean I am unhappy in my retirement??

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What is wrong with that?

Do you know what they were doing before having that beer? Do you know what they will be doing after that beer?

Jeez, I never thought I'd see criticism of other expat's lifestyles on this forum.!

I wasn't criticizing just making a personal observation.

Sorry if I touched a nerve.

28 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What is wrong with that?

I was having a beer in PBG at 09:50 this morning. Ten minutes before it opened..Does that mean I am unhappy in my retirement??

I didn't post with any thought about retirement - despite the subject of the thread (in fact i would say there's a wide generational range among the morning crowd on beach road). I do agree that some will have just finished a 10hr night shift, some may be coming out from a harrowing dentist appointment, some suffer from chronic insomnia and possibly a few have fallen out with the wife and not sure where to go. No doubt some will have a quick beer and then return to their study to finish the novel they started last year, others may be enjoying their last beer in Pattaya before flying back to a bleak winter in Siberia and the less cautious may go for a swim in the sea. It would be possible to write a Leslie Thomas style book on the whole subject but with time constraints and limited talent i fell into the trap of making a crass criticism of other expat's lifestyles - will try to do better.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I didn't post with any thought about retirement - despite the subject of the thread (in fact i would say there's a wide generational range among the morning crowd on beach road). I do agree that some will have just finished a 10hr night shift, some may be coming out from a harrowing dentist appointment, some suffer from chronic insomnia and possibly a few have fallen out with the wife and not sure where to go. No doubt some will have a quick beer and then return to their study to finish the novel they started last year, others may be enjoying their last beer in Pattaya before flying back to a bleak winter in Siberia and the less cautious may go for a swim in the sea. It would be possible to write a Leslie Thomas style book on the whole subject but with time constraints and limited talent i fell into the trap of making a crass criticism of other expat's lifestyles - will try to do better.

Or perhaps, like me, they do everything for themselves, cooking, cleaning, shopping. Just living a happy simple life.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

So how many did you see today? Or last week?

It isn't you. It is the stereotypical bullshit spurted out by others that winds me up.

I have said multiple times that I am very happy here..

I am an early drinker and this leads a lot of people to believe I am always at the pub which is far from the truth.
On work days I'll go to the pub from around 12:30pm for a couple of hours. On my days off I'll get to the pub at about 11am and head home around 3pm. These days I try and have a Sunday dry day.
Early retirement in 3 and a half years does concern me a bit as I have no hobbies and I don't play sport.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I retired (18 years back) at 47yo. when I moved to TH. Enjoyed my 8 years living there but eventually it was enough.

Live a few miles from where I was born now...

Still do a few side 'gigs' once in awhile, but it's nice not to have the daily grind wearing you down.

Maybe will move back to TH for my last few laps around the sun.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

I retired fully at 65 & a half.Thought I'd retired at 63 & had a year of not working but then I was offered some ad hoc work 30 miles from my home in the UK so grabbed it-probably 95% of my work was out of digs or hotels.

I miss the laughs with the blokes,I had the good fortune to work on some great contracts where work & party were done with the same enthusiasm.Most aircraft maintenance engineers seem to suffer from a great thirst after work.

My advice would be to retire as soon as you can afford it,I've known far too many good blokes who either have not reached retirement age or have not lasted long after it.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What is wrong with that?

At my local pub there is a group of older gents who meet up every day at 11:00 and have a couple of pints and a chinwag, so to some, mid week drinking at 11:00 is a sign of a problem, but to these blokes it's part of their routine post employment. They mostly talk about football (One is a Fulham fan, but otherwise he's alright) - but they never reminisce or talk about when they were working.

I'd love the chance to be able to0 have a morning beer lol, can't recall the last time I had one before midday!.

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

If i hadn't had my daughter, i'd retire a lot sooner and do 'long stays' in Thailand, diving and what not.

And no disrespect to anyone, but i'd much prefer my daughter to get educated here in the UK than Thailand, unless i could afford an International school or similar. But to each their own, everyone's situation is different.

That said, i wouldn't swap it for the world. Very happy and contented, though a wee lottery win would give me more options re her education :default_biggrin:

Having a child educated in Thailand or in the UK was the main reason we decided to come back to the UK. 
My wife was happy to leave her family behind in order that our child had a good education here and we’ve been extremely lucky to get him into the top schools in the area, the final one of which is probably the best secondary school in the County which he started in September.
Despite us being well outside the catchment area, we managed to squeeze him in. 

We find it easier to bring her family here for 6months at a time as we have plenty of room in our house, so she probably sees her close family more than if she were to travel to Thailand twice a year during school holidays. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

the Baby Boomers and Gen X have been very lucky when it comes to pensions not many places in the U.K. offer the final salary pensions to younger workers and probably none in the private sector ... 

we have also been lucky with property prices as well , enabling us to have retirement choices that generations before and probably after ... don't have 

BINGO

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What is wrong with that?

Nothing.......

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Having a child educated in Thailand or in the UK was the main reason we decided to come back to the UK. 

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

And no disrespect to anyone, but i'd much prefer my daughter to get educated here in the UK than Thailand, unless i could afford an International school or similar. But to each their own, everyone's situation is different.

Wise decision guys, i agree 100% 👍

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1