Retirement - put it off or take it early?.

Butch

Retirement question for all.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. As a retiree, would you have carried on working given the choice (if working part time was offered)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As an employee, will you work beyond retirement age of 65 for men if given the option (including reduced hours / part time)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What do you miss most, or think you would miss most if you retired (open to all)

• Colleagues
    • Routine
    • Income
    • sense of purpose

I would like to ask the numerous BM's here whether those who have already retired are happy that they did when they did, or if they would have carried on working given the option, and those who just want to get out of the game at the earliest chance.

Personally, I love my job, even though it is onerous and difficult. If I was given the option of working after retirement, I'd take it.

However, my life plan was to retire early and continue with the business interests we have, so I intend to stick to that, but I'll really miss my job, the blokes and the income!.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Stillearly said:

Was happy to pull the trigger at 50 ... I don't miss the work, the stress or the office politics , but do miss the interaction with colleagues 

Its great being able to go on holiday whenever I like , not getting up at 06:30 and filling my day as I see fit ... just over five years now and I'm not getting bored 😎

my advice to anyone is , when you can afford to do it , go for it , don't wait 

Wot he said!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I agree with both the previous posters - I was out the door with full pension at 55, and was then given seasonal employment with the same employer for the next ten years and could still be doing it now I if I hadn't chosen to move on for various reasons; I don't regret leaving at either time.  Now I am working another job as an "Auxiliary on Call" with our territorial gov't which basically means I can come and go whenever I like with a little notice and I will do this until I get tired of it, or my physical condition makes it uncomfortable. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Was happy to pull the trigger at 50 ... I don't miss the work, the stress or the office politics , but do miss the interaction with colleagues 

Its great being able to go on holiday whenever I like , not getting up at 06:30 and filling my day as I see fit ... just over five years now and I'm not getting bored 😎

my advice to anyone is , when you can afford to do it , go for it , don't wait 

Wot he said +2

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

great replies gents. Very interesting.

From my own perspective, I love my job so much at this moment in time I'd really regret it if I left. I've been doing the role for the last 25 years initially contractual and now full time capacity, work with some brilliant blokes (and also a female now who keeps bringing in the most awesome  home made cakes!!) people who just make every day a good one.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Decided I'd had enough at 55 and cashed in a long standing personal pension. 

3 months later, the company I worked for went tits up and I missed out on 21 years redundancy money!! 

Som nam na as they say. But I also knew that I had another company pension to rely on.... Now dipped into that, as I had to care for my mother. Working wasn't really an option. 

Almost 4 years on I'm OK financially for now. My pension money has been spent, as as the money my mother left me. So I'm just living on my second pension at the moment which is OK. 

Im able to help my wife pay the bills here in Sweden from my UK rental income and my pension... But christ almighty I'm bored. But that's my own stupid fault. 

Next year I hope to sell my house back in the UK.... Currently valued at £225000. 

If that lasts me 10 years... Great, but I think I'll be dead by then. 

Retirement is great but sometimes, if you have nowt to do, it's bloody boring. Miss the people I used to work with but that's about it. 

• Like 7

I was fortuanate enough to have a career in IT that allowed me to work remotely. That worked to my advantage when I decided at age 52 to semi-retire, move to Thailand and work part-time remotely. Even if it wasn't Thailand that I retired to, I still would have retired early as long as I had the option to work part-time, either remotely or in the office.

I don't ever see myself stopping what I enjoy doing and that is system design and coding. It was great when I was getting paid for it, but that stopped about six years ago. To continue to keep my mind engaged and have a sense of purpose I now do database and website work gratis for the local hash groups.

• Like 5

Great topic @Butch

Fascinating to see the replies and how many BM's got out around the 50 year mark

My retirement at 50 was totally unplanned, but a very happy moment🥳 I was doing a job I had enjoyed but had become very, very stressful and a working environment that had turned poisonous.

My scum bag boss had sent me an invite for a one-to-one meeting. Walked into it to find HR waiting with a nice severance package, Was a struggle to stop open celebrating in front of them less they withdrew it.

The timing was perfect as my Mum had advanced stage dementia. I pretty much became her main carer for the next 2 and a half years, with help from a very good friend of my Mum's. Doing that was obviously far more important than any of meaningless office s******

It hit me harder than I expected when my Mum passed and not too long after along came COVID!!

Over 6 years on now  from stopping work and I don't miss  one bit.

However..... in the past year of so I have suffered periods of not, knowing what the hell to do with myself. Now that has been a new development.However I'd confess was mainly me own fault. I'd let my exercise regime slip and had become lazy at times.

Now I'm a few days in to giving living in Thailand a go, and I think how lucky I am to have this opportunity.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

my dad took ER at 57, and that was the worst decision as he seemed to age ten yrs for every one.  i sold my bsuiness when i was 50 to com ehere.  and planned not to work much but instead have it full on and whilst the money is crap, i love it.  it keeps my mind active  which  really need

then again I am lucky as work here in the LOS

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think for poll questions 1 and 2 it should be a choice one or the other and question 3 is for all. But i see all questions have the same number of responses. Not important now but later it's going to be difficult to process the data.

19 minutes ago, Bazle said:

The UK has a big problem with "economic inactivity". Here is a report about it:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/why-have-older-workers-left-the-labour-market/

Quite shocking that health is considered a major cause of leaving the working population between the age of 50 and 64. These aren't old people in these modern days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shit, is it too late to undo my early retirement.

Tips to Be Fit: Early retirement may lead to earlier death

Retirement is a phase that most of us will experience. But should we just ride off into the sunset and accept retirement as a phase we all have to live with? In a study of Shell Oil employees it was found that people that retired at 55 and lived to be 65 died 37% sooner than those that retired at 65. They also found that people who retired at age 55 were 89% more likely to die within 10 years than those that retired at 65. Social Security data noted the trend, as well. Men that retire at 62 had a 20% higher likelihood of death than the general population.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Great Info 3
  • Surprised 1

12 hours ago, Butch said:

I would like to ask the numerous BM's here whether those who have already retired are happy that they did when they did, or if they would have carried on working given the option, and those who just want to get out of the game at the earliest chance.

Personally, I love my job, even though it is onerous and difficult. If I was given the option of working after retirement, I'd take it.

However, my life plan was to retire early and continue with the business interests we have, so I intend to stick to that, but I'll really miss my job, the blokes and the income!.

I can't complete your survey unless you add "Nothing" as an option to question #3.

I pulled the trigger at the first day a pension was available at age 55, sold up, moved to Thailand, and never looked back.  I really enjoyed the majority of my career, but I was more than happy to move to this stage of my life.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the responses. I apologise that the poll wasn't really that well thought out, but it really isn't that important, as the replies speak volumes about how we feel regarding leaving work earlier than the de facto govt suggested age.

The poll questions were actually an afterthought, and we've not had a poll on the forum for a while so don't worry about filling it in too much.

Very interesting points @forcebwithu makes regarding fitness. I'd never even considered that. In my own line of work I burn approx 5-6k calories a day, once I stop doing that the weight will pile on, as it does over a 3 week holiday.

It appears that many BM's have been lucky in respect of pensions and retirement arrangements. A cynical part of me asks if some companies are keen to get rid of log term employees because their contracts and T&C's are more favourable than the new ones offered, hence a motivation on their part to dispense with them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3