Songkran to last for one month ....

Stillearly

49 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

It looks like some bar owners on Soi Honey are going to try that, according to this Facebook post from Ricky of Lips Lounge:

435687899_2117729888592113_5355803401695974601_n.jpg

I think it's a great idea and hope it catches on...

It would be great if the ceasefire held, but I read a post from less than an hour ago on PA that not all the bar owners were on board with the plan. Stupid business decision on their part not to not agree to a 6pm water free zone.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just dodged a bucket full from a nice lady (she was toasted already) on my way to the gym.

I get to the gym and see that they are shutting down until the 17th. Cnuts didn't even post it until today. On the notice they say they will "reimburse" for the lost days (damn right they will).

On the way back I took an alternate route. I noticed a lot of temp water headquarters set up, but fortunately they were unmanned (or unwomanned). 

I made it back to the friendly confines unscathed.

Today and tomorrow will be the big days. They go ape shit on this stuff up here.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I just dodged a bucket full from a nice lady (she was toasted already) on my way to the gym.

I get to the gym and see that they are shutting down until the 17th. Cnuts didn't even post it until today. On the notice they say they will "reimburse" for the lost days (damn right they will).

On the way back I took an alternate route. I noticed a lot of temp water headquarters set up, but fortunately they were unmanned (or unwomanned). 

I made it back to the friendly confines unscathed.

Today and tomorrow will be the big days. They go ape shit on this stuff up here.

Sadly.... many folks will be seriously injured or killed as result of this nonsense.

I made it to soi 11/1 for food fairly dry. Getting out of here will be a different matter. 

The streets are full of big guns now!

All my money is in a plastic bag, so hopefully be OK.

• Haha 4

Was just looking at the iRovers Web cam on LK and it seems that there is an absence of those blue, hand held water tube things, whatever they are called, and this year, just small buckets being deployed.

Is this because of restrictions, I wonder? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Was just looking at the iRovers Web cam on LK and it seems that there is an absence of those blue, hand held water tube things, whatever they are called, and this year, just small buckets being deployed.

TPN reports they're banned...

image.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1362012251234019

But checking the I-Rovers webcam just now and what did I spy...

image.png

https://www.iplivecams.com/live-cams/i-rovers-sports-bar-diana-view-soi-lk-metro-pattaya-chon-buri-thailand/

• Thumbs Up 3

26 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Good to see in general.I have had personal experience of being temporarily blinded by one of those whilst riding a motorcycle. I jammed the brakes on, but the bike skidded and overturned with me on it. I also list a pair of expensive prescription sun glasses in a similar manner, which were blown off with a water Canon and ended up being crushed under the wheels of a Baht Bus. 

It would be nice to see the original traditions being upheld without being a war zone for those who had a deprived childhood.  

I like the sound of a 6pm.curfew for water activity and would hope that it rolls out successfully in many Sois of Pattaya.  Those who like to play, will have all daylight hours to enjoy and those who don't can enjoy a normal night of entertainment.  It makes perfect sense. 

• Thumbs Up 4

42 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I believe they are called two ended giant enema squirting dildos for all types to entertain themselves with.

• Haha 1

Furthermore, I think that those caught with such weapons should be rounded up and executed by firing squad. Call.me an old Nazi, if you will, but its the only way, and you know it makes sense.  😊😁😊😁

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Unfortunately it appears gone are the days when the water madness pretty much ended shortly after sunset, with the exception being the 18th and 19th. Last night the madness on Buakhao was still going strong at 8pm. That's when I saw the writing in the wet pavement that it wasn't going to end so left to find a safe, dry haven at King's Club.

I've always thought if a group of bar owners in one area got together and agreed to create a water free zone during the days leading up to the 19th, they would find themselves overwhelmed with customers.

There probably are water free bars that adhere to the sunset rules but you have to walk past all the other crazy 'let's carry on the mayhem' bars to get there.

It only takes one idiot in a bar to ruin it for many of those who just want to have a quiet night in a restaurant or stroll about town, probably why many of us left town at Songkran. Unless you are willing to get involved or run the chance of getting wet, best to stay in your residence or leave town. 

Many may say you are grumpy, and I would agree if it was really only for a day or two, but it's not in the Pattaya Central area, it goes on for about 10 days before ending on the 19th, that is just too much for the patience of many unless you are a tourist and come particularly because of the festival.

My reason for leaving is that, out of 3 Songkran festivals, I only enjoyed one, that was when I was staying at the Whitehouse and just placed myself in the corner bar on 2nd road by the hotel for the whole day. Get a soaking and then just sit, watch and drink, till it's over. The other 2 occasions I was in my house but decided to venture out, the amount of talc and water pasted and sprayed over my face made me violently sick, I vowed not to do it again. 

When I lived in Hua Hin, it really only got crazy for a day, same in Khon Kaen, it was a first day of gentle sprinkling with all the villagers, the second day was just the youth getting pissed and fighting. 

Pattaya, you can have it.

• Thumbs Up 6

31 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Furthermore, I think that those caught with such weapons should be rounded up and executed by firing squad. Call.me an old Nazi, if you will, but its the only way, and you know it makes sense.  😊😁😊😁

It's not the machinery, it is the operator - I had one of those for years and loved it, easy to carry and store and you can soak from afar but I had to toss it when the seals finally gave out; I do agree they end up in the hands of too many dickheads who use them irresponsibly. I remember years ago when the cops were going around confiscating them, and then selling them back to the vendors again, good little racket...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Rather than execute them, I would propose rounding them up, then line them up, spray them down with their own confiscated water cannons, then lock them in a bare room (no furniture, no towels) with the A/C cranked to the max until their lips turn blue. Guaranteed they'll think twice about ever using a water cannon on another person.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I forgot.... Do they blow shit to hell on Song ? Or is that the other holidays ?

It's been unusually quiet around here. I am waiting for all hell to break loose.

Edited by Glasseye

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Rather than execute them, I would propose rounding them up, then line them up, spray them down with their own confiscated water cannons, then lock them in a bare room (no furniture, no towels) with the A/C cranked to the max until their lips turn blue. Guaranteed they'll think twice about ever using a water cannon on another person.

Good idea, although I would still advocate the death penalty for repeat offenders 😄😄

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

There probably are water free bars that adhere to the sunset rules but you have to walk past all the other crazy 'let's carry on the mayhem' bars to get there.

It only takes one idiot in a bar to ruin it for many of those who just want to have a quiet night in a restaurant or stroll about town, probably why many of us left town at Songkran. Unless you are willing to get involved or run the chance of getting wet, best to stay in your residence or leave town. 

Many may say you are grumpy, and I would agree if it was really only for a day or two, but it's not in the Pattaya Central area, it goes on for about 10 days before ending on the 19th, that is just too much for the patience of many unless you are a tourist and come particularly because of the festival.

My reason for leaving is that, out of 3 Songkran festivals, I only enjoyed one, that was when I was staying at the Whitehouse and just placed myself in the corner bar on 2nd road by the hotel for the whole day. Get a soaking and then just sit, watch and drink, till it's over. The other 2 occasions I was in my house but decided to venture out, the amount of talc and water pasted and sprayed over my face made me violently sick, I vowed not to do it again. 

When I lived in Hua Hin, it really only got crazy for a day, same in Khon Kaen, it was a first day of gentle sprinkling with all the villagers, the second day was just the youth getting pissed and fighting. 

Pattaya, you can have it.

Great post mate. Pretty much sums things up IMO.

I spoke to Ricky a few times last week.

He told me that April 2023 was his worst month for trade and ran a fairly sizeable loss , purely due to people not coming into the bar because of water throwing.

This year he advocated keeping a section, or all of Soi Honey dry so the owners might be able to have it as a "dry Soi" and make some money. He arranged a meeting for all of them in his bar, and no one turned up. Not one bar owner bothered to get on board with the idea.

I've not idea why, or is it has developed into anything, but people started throwing water on the 10th on 7 and 8 and one bar on Beach Road nearby. Come the 11th and it had spread to 7 , 8 and the Poppy bar at the bottom of 8 had the large plastic barrels ready, people were playing about a bit on Bukhao, and 2 farang guys walked down Soi 10 each with a big plastic water gun, but basically the MC taxi guys at the top gave them a look which was clear enough in its instruction and was heeded.

I also spoke to Roger, the guy whose partner own "Kung's" on lengkee. Some places ran out of water on the 10th and 11th due to the twats on 7 and 8 using it all up. Not sure how true it is though as it was a second hand rumour.

• Great Info 1
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Good idea, although I would still advocate the death penalty  allowing me to bugger them into submission for repeat offenders 😄😄

Bit of adjustment of punctuation needed in your post mate. I did it for yer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3