What is the longest period you have had not driving a car?

During my upcoming trip up North I have been offered the use of a car FOC..Bloody Excellent eh !!! Except that I haven't driven a car for 10 years because there is absolutely no need to drive in Pattaya!

Previously I have driven all over Bangkok, Pattaya, the North and Isaan for decades, either as a Field Engineer or as a resident, so I'm fully aware of the risks and dangers. Perhaps that is why it worries me a little ..

Opinions and advice please!

36 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

During my upcoming trip up North I have been offered the use of a car FOC..Bloody Excellent eh !!! Except that I haven't driven a car for 10 years because there is absolutely no need to drive in Pattaya!

Previously I have driven all over Bangkok, Pattaya, the North and Isaan for decades, either as a Field Engineer or as a resident, so I'm fully aware of the risks and dangers. Perhaps that is why it worries me a little ..

Opinions and advice please!

About 14/ years 15 years ago as I had bikes most of my life. Had a little Citron Saxo in silver.sporty VCR model.

Loved I but it ate exhausts. Always had little hatchbacks in the past.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Always had little hatchbacks in the past.

In Thailand I had a Mitsu Lancer in the 90s as a company car. After that I owned 3 different Pickups and a Vios ..... Looking back I loved that little car , until I drowned it in the Nackon Sawang Ringroad floods !!!

• Haha 1

Probably about six years now. I know myself well enough my BP is better off if I leave the driving to someone else here. And when I'm back in the US for only a week or two, I'd rather not risk an accident while I relearn the proper side of the road to drive on, especially while I'm overcoming the effects of jet lag.

• Thanks 1

Just now, john luke said:

5 months, while I am over in Thailand.  

Yep.. and you have to quickly adapt to UK traffic laws and busy roads..

My plan is to just drive it around the village a few times before going on the "big road" then eventually take it into the City ...

9 hours ago, KWA said:

17 years, but driven regularly since I passed my test. 😉

Those were the days you only needed a screwdriver, and the police couldn’t catch you though lack of CCTV traffic police. Always liked a cheap ride home 

• Haha 3

Longest spell not driving has probably been a few months at a time at the most.

It's not hard to get back into the swing of things, even after an extended absence. The actual act of driving the car, how to do it will come back very quickly, along with spatial awareness, hazard perception etc.

Driving in a city, navigating and observing where to go is a different matter. Grab yerself the relevant app on your phone for navigation and use it, they are very good nowadays.

Remember they don't need to be cranked at the front with a handle to start up anymore Derek, and you don't need a bloke walking in front with a red flag anymore either.

• Great Info 1

8 months Siri g my trip to LOS in 2009-10, about 4.5 last year with my illness. Man did it feel good to get behind the wheel again, except my renewal was the last thing on my mind, didn’t know if I would ever drive again….and our registry here had major problems so went another 6 weeks or so before my appointment. Had changed provinces too in 2021 & just renewed there for 2 years….Anyway 45 minutes, photo taken, fee paid and was sorted out

On a side note, realized after the hockey game Saturday I had no more license, just my healthcare card which looks similar. Thought I had left it in the arena, as stuff had been falling out of my pockets all day 

Was just settling into my chair for NFL playoffs Sunday, garage door was wide open as Mom was getting ready to drive the nephew back. I hear “that’s my uncle yeah”, and immediately knew what was going on. We had visited the funeral home before the game to see Dad, a man who lived around the corner from us who lost his wife recently, had found my license in the snowy parking lot…..Still some good people in the world guys

Edited by Golfingboy

I guess five months would be the maximum I've ever done without driving, but when I get home I just pick up where I left off, don't seem to miss a beat. I have no desire to drive anything while on vacation, I'd rather leave the driving to someone else which is another reason I like Pattaya so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 9:34 AM, forcebwithu said:

Check to see if you can still renew your expired UK license online.

Renew your driving licence online

I've just received my new UK Driving License forwarded by my son... It expires when I am 70 in 2026 ...Not sure what Thai License I will be able to obtain paying "under the table".... I will find out next week though !!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Derek Dangleberries said:

I've just received my new UK Driving License forwarded by my son... It expires when I am 70 in 2026 ...Not sure what Thai License I will be able to obtain paying "under the table".... I will find out next week though !!

Let me know how you go.

I offered an under the table payment 6 years ago and was told it would be 25,000 baht. That was a little bit too rich for this poor old railway worker. 

I had a Thai license when I was 70 plus. Use my Philippine one now as it's valid there.... till I am 86!! 

Best get a Thai one while your UK is valid. If you go to the UK for a visit it is accepted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Let me know how you go.

I offered an under the table payment 6 years ago and was told it would be 25,000 baht. That was a little bit too rich for this poor old railway worker. 

Wow! 

There is a shop at the eastern end of the bars in NP that'll do one for 3,000 baht but you still have to turn up at the driving centre of course. I never intended to drive again so didn't bother ... Never say Never as Cat Crumpet used to often say ..

Here, M'Lady is insisting it is 4,500 for a "no show" License ...

Let's see next week eh !!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So. I received my UK Driving License as mentioned previously but still haven't got a Thai one yet because it was like pissing in the wind here with everybody saying that they "asked a policeman and he said I don't need one" . I will definitely do one when I get my Thai ID Card .... Next week? 

Today was my first time driving in 10 years !!!!!!! It is a lovely little Nissan March (Micra) Automatic 1.2L. It surely doesn't come easier than this!! I drove around the village roads before heading into the City using the major route dual carriageway to visit the weekly "big" market.

On the way back there was a police traffic checkpoint but they saw my face and waved me through ...

• Thumbs Up 4