Does tipping / spending excessively get you respect from Thais?.

Butch

Given this forum has more combined knowledge and experience than we care to count, I've been browsing elsewhere and read about a few guys who seem to think that spending  and tipping to the point of excess somehow gets them respect from Thais - especially GGG's.

Now, I'm sure the tipping subject has been covered, so I'm not on about amounts, but I'd like to ask what the Thais think of a guy when he throws around 500 / 1k baht tips for a meal, drinks service or whatever.

The floor is open.

9 hours ago, Butch said:

Given this forum has more combined knowledge and experience than we care to count, I've been browsing elsewhere and read about a few guys who seem to think that spending  and tipping to the point of excess somehow gets them respect from Thais - especially GGG's.

Now, I'm sure the tipping subject has been covered, so I'm not on about amounts, but I'd like to ask what the Thais think of a guy when he throws around 500 / 1k baht tips for a meal, drinks service or whatever.

The floor is open.

Not sure it gets respect. It just becomes an expectation the next time you visit the bar and more lady drinks expected. That said, if you are generous in a particular bar, I think you get a better welcome 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gift giving of any sort is in how it's presented. Overspending is a whlole different case. Anytime I overspend it is my own damn choice (sometines plain out sutpidity), certainly unintended to impress jack.

Apreciated well balanced, well timed tripping can and dose give great interaction and appreciation from both the givers (as I believe the "receiver" gives back as much in his vibe).

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

read about a few guys who seem to think that spending  and tipping to the point of excess somehow gets them respect from Thais - especially GGG's.

Assume you are referring to GoGos(?), think the staff only view excessive tippers as a soft touch to be a rinsed again.

And they are correct of course🙂

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

I seldom tip any more than 20b at any venue - call me cheap but that is what I am comfortable with and I don't recall any server calling me on it; after all, if I have already spent over 1000b on lady drinks, who are they to complain?

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Same as krapow,only tip if gone beyond average customer service,not gonna tip if face like a bulldog chewing a wasp,or slow grumpy service,make you wonder on the opposite spectrum.. guys who tip as a mandatory gesture even if service was lacklustre.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my case back in the day, when ever I would have a massage gal come to my room at what ever hotel I was staying at, if they showed up on time, did NOT blab and talk the entire time during the massage, kept relatively quiet, made a good effort to do a good over all job and when on "the flip" DID NOT ask me " How much U pay me"? then a very good tip was given to them. Several did well, others did not. 

I was never a cheap charlie when good services were provided...

DSCN1486.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Tipping? Always in my case whether therapeutic massage, sitdown restaurant , bar/gogo…..100% of the time.

BUT….500/1K notes being thrown around? NEVER….I mean why? That only makes them laugh at us farang even more

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the motivation for leaving a large tip comes into play. The motivation will determine if you're respected or looked at as an easy mark.

I'll sometimes leave a large tip because the lady or the service staff made my stay enjoyable and put a smile on my face. Maybe I'm deluding myself, but my take is they're appreciative of the well warranted large tip and know that based on past experience I don't always tip large and won't expect one on future visits. Ipso Facto, I'm not seen an easy mark.

The flip side is someone like my previous business partner who would as a matter of course leave 30% or more tips when we dined out. It was obvious to me and my two other business partners he was doing it more so to big himself up, which really didn't make sense as we weren't impressed, and the wait staff, while they smiled at his generosity no doubt saw him as a fool for giving an unwarranted and overly large tip. He was therefore seen as an easy mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

In my case back in the day, when ever I would have a massage gal come to my room at what ever hotel I was staying at, if they showed up on time, did NOT blab and talk the entire time during the massage, kept relatively quiet, made a good effort to do a good over all job and when on "the flip" DID NOT ask me " How much U pay me"? then a very good tip was given to them. Several did well, others did not. 

DSCN1486.jpg

I've always tipped the ladies well for good service, my previous comment was directed at servers in restaurants and bars...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am in the 20 b tipping range but have been considerably more generous in my younger days.
In answer to the question in the OP I do not believe handing big tips garners any respect from Thai people and maybe the reverse anywhere from stupid man to what a twat.

I married my first Thai wife inn Bangkok and started the honeymoon off by coming to Pattaya to meet mates. Happy hours were spent on the lash. The next day my wife asked for 500 baht each and she would take care of the bins. The next afternoon we went out as usual but when we got back to the hotel I asked wifey why she hadn't asked for any money. "I not need. Have money left from day before. Stupid farang tip much!!"
As she later said "Why you give money other people family and not your own"

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

DSCN1486.jpg

The upfront "How much you pay me ?" is a deal breaker, out the door instantly. No further thought or discussion is even considered. "It's finished".

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If I tip the ladies in front of the missus she gets shitty but when she gets pissed and is trying to impress all and sundry it seems she has found the proverbial money tree.

All my money of course.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

In the states 15-20% is normal in sit down restaurants, etc.  The service standards are much higher than here and places in Europe that I've been.  

Here I've dialed it back to a bit under 10% in most cases, but I'll bump it up if the service was very good.  I don't necessarily know that it's respect you get for that, but you are remembered and the service levels are good on subsequent visits.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1