Football

Thinkingallowed

13 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Good win against Leeds @galenkia

I wouldn't post anything controversial incase @john luke bans you 🤣 

On a good run of form mate.Think we have a good chance of making playoffs if we don't have injury problems.

Be nice to get to Wembley,was there a few years back when we beat Derby in the playoff final.

As much as i love the FA Cup,money has basically dropped it down in most clubs priority's.Used to love cup final day as a kid.Sad to see clubs not taking it seriously anymore.

Just now, galenkia said:

On a good run of form mate.Think we have a good chance of making playoffs if we don't have injury problems.

Be nice to get to Wembley,was there a few years back when we beat Derby in the playoff final.

As much as i love the FA Cup,money has basically dropped it down in most clubs priority's.Used to love cup final day as a kid.Sad to see clubs not taking it seriously anymore.

Yea, FA Cup final day was a major day out, full on the piss, everyone in the bar.

Not anymore. 

To be honest, I don't like FA Cup weekends now, though as you say, it's because the Clubs don't take it serious, 2nd string teams etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

League 2 Newport currently leading Leicester 1-0.

The magic is still there for the smaller clubs.

I would like to see the FA Cup winners get a champions league spot instead of the 4th place league finisher.Would make clubs take it more seriously and give it the respect it deserves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

League 2 Newport currently leading Leicester 1-0.

The magic is still there for the smaller clubs.

I would like to see the FA Cup winners get a champions league spot instead of the 4th place league finisher.Would make clubs take it more seriously and give it the respect it deserves.

Aye, remember the old Cup Winner's Cup?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Krapow said:

They fukced the european cup competitions when they made them leagues so it was easy for UEFA to keep the big teams apart.You can basically now predict who will face who in the knock out stages as they don't want smaller teams progressing as it affects revenue.

Football is fcuked now and why i don't have the passion for it i used to.All about making the rich clubs richer.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Glasgow Rangers (R.I.P.) in 3 finals. Won 1 Lost 2?

Aberdeen winners as well (v Real Madrid) in Gothenburg... I was there!  😄 

Edited by ArtyGraph
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ArtyGraph said:

Aberdeen winners as well (v Real Madrid) in Gothenburg... I was there!  😄 

Nice one!

I think they won European Super Cup as well, only Scottish side to win  2 European trophies?

Another competition that's gone.

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Nice one!

I think they won European Super Cup as well, only Scottish side to win  2 European trophies?

Another competition that's gone.

Yes, HAMBURG in the SuperCup.  Hence the 2 stars on their shirt.

A team managed by Ferguson though built by Aly McLeod.

Edited by ArtyGraph
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Was he the Scotland Manager who took them to the World Cup, Archie Gemmel's famous goal?

Yes, we got dubbed by Peru 3-0, Drew with Iran 1-1 with our goal an own goal.  We had to beat Holland by 3 clear goals to go through. Were up 3-1 and needing one more when Holland scored a screamer from about 35 yards, Johny Rep.

Ally Mcleod built the Aberdeen Team.  He had just won the Scottish Cup with Aberdeen (their first in decades) and left for the Scotland job. Ferguson took over his team.  History would have been so different had McLeod stayed at Aberdeen and Ferguson with St Mirren (I think).

Edited by ArtyGraph

3 minutes ago, ArtyGraph said:

Yes, we got dubbed by Peru 3-0, Drew with Iran 1-1 with our goal an own goal.  We had to beat Holland by 3 clear goals to go through. Were up 3-1 and needing one more when Holland scored a screamer from about 35 yards, Johny Rep.

Ally Mcleod built the Aberdeen Team.  He had just won the Scottish Cup with Aberdeen (their first in decades) and left for the Scotland job. Ferguson took over his team.  History would have been so different had McLeod stayed at Aberdeen and Ferguson with St Mirren (I think).

Yes, remember it well as a child, we all got behind Scotland.

Holland were some team then but, I remember that Johny Rep goal, it replicated out our back many times as a child! That Dutch team were scoring screamers for fun in that era. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

There is no magic in the FA cup any more. Most premier league and championship sides put out a team of reserves and squad players. Daft kick off times, 2pm on a Sunday. Such a shame.

No incentive for them to take it seriously,same as the league cup.

Scrap third and fourth place from the 'champions' league as they ain't won fook all and give them to the winners of the two domestic cup competitions.Then you would see clubs take them seriously.

Win win all round for many clubs and fans,but won't happen as the top 6 clubs won't allow it,its a closed shop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

No incentive for them to take it seriously,same as the league cup.

Scrap third and fourth place from the 'champions' league as they ain't won fook all and give them to the winners of the two domestic cup competitions.Then you would see clubs take them seriously.

Win win all round for many clubs and fans,but won't happen as the top 6 clubs won't allow it,its a closed shop.

Totally. Agree.

Imagine if winning the fa cup came with champions League qualification. Be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some here will know that I used to work in a Sheffield steel plant a few weeks per year (in the late '90s until about 2008), and when I did I stayed in Rotherham.  Bunch of guys who became my friends were Rotherham United fans, and I used to go to some matches with them.  Even knew a guy who was in one of their past ownership groups and got into their VIP tent a time or two.

Today RUFC played Man City in the FA cup.  I found a replay of the match, and was delighted to discover that they had made it all the way to Championship (they were in League Two when I used to go I think).  Sadly, knowing the eventual outcome, I could only stand to watch the first half.  Rotherham started out defending pretty well, but their offense was lacking, and they broke under the pressure at the end of the first half.

Brought back some nice memories for me.  I wish them well.

• Thumbs Up 1