Football

Thinkingallowed

On 5/15/2021 at 10:05 PM, Butch said:

Great post Binlid, I remember when Ipswich beat Arsenal in 1978, I was the best behaved kid on the street when my Mum told me that me and my mates could watch it at our house, they all came with their Mums (Dads were down the pub - Belstead Arms for one BM here reading this 🙂  ).

She cooked hot dogs, burgers, chips and gave us all a bag of crisps , we had a can of coke each (a real treat in 78) and we all settled in for the match. When Russel Osborne hit that goal, I remember her picking me up, cuddling and kissing me, swinging me around the room in front of my mates screaming " We scored, we scored!!" . LOL I was so embarrassed back then , but when I looked around their Mum's were doing the exact same thing!. Big huge celebration, which was repeated when the final whistle blew.

To be on a council estate in Ipswich, mad on the Blues when we won that day was absolutely something to treasure. The streets were crammed, everyone was on cloud 9, parties, kisses, songs and kids being allowed to stay up beyond 10pm.

The kind of memories we treasure, those moments that when you think about them bring back emotions, feelings and a smile. Best of all it reminds me of how great my Mum was, despite being an expert with the wooden spoon across the arse, she really cared and always did so much for me.

RIP Mum.

As @nampla69 mentioned, I'm Suffolk born and bred and have supported Ipswich since 1960. I was 6 when we won the old 2nd division and then won the first division the following year. Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips, fantastic twin strikers. I've attended many ex-players dinners, got a pic of me with those two (below), taken about 5 years ago. Ted sadly died relatively recently.

Belstead Arms - know it well and had many booze-ups there. I was lucky enough to be at Wembley for that final in 78. Fantastic day and love your memories of it. Can just imagine what it was like in Ipswich that day.

Watching the replays subsequently, David Coleman's "Osborne, one nil" is one of the one liners I always remember. Quite just too as Warky hit the post twice and Mariner hit the bar. Completely outplayed Arsenal that day (by the way, it's Roger Osborne), a real unsung hero. He's still around the town, along with his huge family.

IMG_0391.JPG

• Great Info 2

Looking forward to the Championship Final. 

I lived in Hounslow and played football originally for Heston and Isleworth before playing for Hounslow which included Brentford and Chiswick.  Brentford have been in the playoffs quite a few times over the last 5 years but always fallen at the last hurdle. I suppose my heart is with them to win but I now live in Neath which has a Swansea postal code and being half Welsh I would also like to see Swansea do well.  Swansea's ground is only 15 minutes away and I often hit Morfa Park shopping centre next door to the ground. 

It's a kind of win win situation for me and I am really looking forward to the final.

• Like 1

lashing down again ... so watched a couple of docs on Sky

The United Way - about the history of United from the Busby Babes until the treble winning season - it's co-written , presented and co-produced by Cantona 

and The Lawman - about the life and career of Dennis Law 

both of them brilliant documentary's 

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Looking forward to the Championship Final. 

I lived in Hounslow and played football originally for Heston and Isleworth before playing for Hounslow which included Brentford and Chiswick.  Brentford have been in the playoffs quite a few times over the last 5 years but always fallen at the last hurdle. I suppose my heart is with them to win but I now live in Neath which has a Swansea postal code and being half Welsh I would also like to see Swansea do well.  Swansea's ground is only 15 minutes away and I often hit Morfa Park shopping centre next door to the ground. 

It's a kind of win win situation for me and I am really looking forward to the final.

As a kid I used to watch Hounslow in the 70s,was not far from my home. And my old man would take me to Brentford in the early to mid 70s as it was his team. Late 70s I started going to Rangers with my mate who was a fan and been a fan myself ever since. 

Always had a eye on Brentford ever since and always wish them well except when they play us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Britboy said:

As @nampla69 mentioned, I'm Suffolk born and bred and have supported Ipswich since 1960. I was 6 when we won the old 2nd division and then won the first division the following year. Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips, fantastic twin strikers. I've attended many ex-players dinners, got a pic of me with those two (below), taken about 5 years ago. Ted sadly died relatively recently.

Belstead Arms - know it well and had many booze-ups there. I was lucky enough to be at Wembley for that final in 78. Fantastic day and love your memories of it. Can just imagine what it was like in Ipswich that day.

Watching the replays subsequently, David Coleman's "Osborne, one nil" is one of the one liners I always remember. Quite just too as Warky hit the post twice and Mariner hit the bar. Completely outplayed Arsenal that day (by the way, it's Roger Osborne), a real unsung hero. He's still around the town, along with his huge family.

IMG_0391.JPG

Lol, Yep Roger Osborne, I was mixing him up with Russell Osman! - what a plank I am!

I knew a few of the lads who played for the Belstead Arms team back in the day, Sunday football often down at the Recreation ground as you follow Ellenbrook Road out of the housing estate, with the old changing room hut at the top (now houses, unsurprisingly). I played many a game there for my Cub Scout group in the 80's. I was also friends with the Landlords son at the time (Molloy) so we would be allowed into the bar / lounge area (until we got turfed out) - who knows, I might have been stood next to you at one time back in the late 70's and never knew it!.

My Mum also took me into Town when the open top bus did a circuit along St Matthews St and then we all legged it as fast as we could to the Cornhill where Mick Mills lifted the Cup to massive applause. It was epic, as we were all kids of 7 / 8 / 9 years old, a few bigger lads lifted us up onto their shoulders. It was great to be a part of it back then.

I also remember Milwall coming to play ITFC and managing to smash some windows (previously claimed to be unbreakable) in the then (new) Willis Faber building.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Lol, Yep Roger Osborne, I was mixing him up with Russell Osman! - what a plank I am!

I knew a few of the lads who played for the Belstead Arms team back in the day, Sunday football often down at the Recreation ground as you follow Ellenbrook Road out of the housing estate, with the old changing room hut at the top (now houses, unsurprisingly). I played many a game there for my Cub Scout group in the 80's. I was also friends with the Landlords son at the time (Molloy) so we would be allowed into the bar / lounge area (until we got turfed out) - who knows, I might have been stood next to you at one time back in the late 70's and never knew it!.

My Mum also took me into Town when the open top bus did a circuit along St Matthews St and then we all legged it as fast as we could to the Cornhill where Mick Mills lifted the Cup to massive applause. It was epic, as we were all kids of 7 / 8 / 9 years old, a few bigger lads lifted us up onto their shoulders. It was great to be a part of it back then.

I also remember Milwall coming to play ITFC and managing to smash some windows (previously claimed to be unbreakable) in the then (new) Willis Faber building.

I was a northstander, back in the day. I pretended to be hard, but quite honestly in those days I was scared stiff. One line of cops separating us lot from massive bare chested Geordies . . :default_527:

You obviously have some very fond memories of those days. I never actually lived in Ipswich until about 6 years ago, I was born and grew up in Lowestoft, which you may know is actually closer to Norwich than Ipswich, though still in Suffolk. So Lowestoft is and was a 50/50 town between Ipswich and the budgies.

For the last 10 or so years I've been involved with the club. Won't go into detail here but I've represented the club in the boardroom at loads of games, home and away. Got loads of stories that I could tell and got to know many players and all the managers from Bobby Robson onwards. I'm still in touch with quite a few, especially those that still live locally.

I class Russell Osman as a mate, we speak regularly and have played a lot of golf together. Russell is one of those guys that excels at everything. He represented England at youth level at football, rugby and cricket - plus he's an excellent golfer.

I still see Warky quite a lot, what a great guy. Some of the stories he comes out with are just hilarious. When he left Ipswich to join Liverpool he told me about his medical before he signed.

He had to go to the boot room, where some of the coaches and the manager were waiting for him. One of the coaches said "touch your toes", which he did, whereby he was told "you're in". Hilarious, and a true story.

Historically I've represented the club at the Bobby Robson Golf Classic, a big event, for charity. Lots of ex players and managers there (from many clubs, not just Ipswich and Newcastle), most of them individually playing in a 4-ball in a team that's paid to be there. In our own ITFC team I normally play with Charlie Woods and Simon Milton plus 1 other. It's a fantastic trip each year, really well attended and raises loads of money for charity, with a massive auction on the prizegiving evening dinner.

I got to know Mick McCarthy very well, still in touch with him (he's managing Cardiff now).

Couple of pics below taken at the prizegiving dinner, me on the right, a mate of mine on the left and a couple of ex-players I think you'll recognise.

2015-06-27 19.37.31.jpg

IMG_0563.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Would have started again ... 

1 minute ago, Starshine said:

They start again.

I guessed that. I just had visions of the coaches, and then spectators lining up to have a go....

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Lirchenfeld said:

Game restarted at 20.30 (CET). Eriksen was rushed to nearby hospital. Still alive. 

He was awake leaving the field and is so in hospital so great news. Hopefully he will make a speedy recovery.

Can't believe they are restarting the game, the Danish players were looking understandably traumatised.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

He was awake leaving the field and is so in hospital so great news. Hopefully he will make a speedy recovery.

Can't believe they are restarting the game, the Danish players were looking understandably traumatised.

Absolutely. Totally pointless game now. Never good when someone gets cpr.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Absolutely. Totally pointless game now. Never good when someone gets cpr.

They actually shocked him on the pitch too, the cameras showed how is body responded when they shocked him. Terrible they showed that on TV.

• Thumbs Up 1