Post a random pic you took in Thailand

Sangsom

9 minutes ago, KWA said:

Keeping your kid safe and getting him/her exercise and grow in confidence is no bad thing surely.

Of course not.  It's how you do it that matters.  Putting your child on a dog lead so you don't have to watch him carefully wouldn't be my first choice.

2 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Of course not.  It's how you do it that matters.  Putting your child on a dog lead so you don't have to watch him carefully wouldn't be my first choice.

Sorry, that appears contradictory to me.

The reins allow you to put the kid on a "dog lead" while also keeping them safe getting them exercise and growing their confidence.  If they've been put on the lead to allow the parent to play games on their phone then that's a different matter, but we don't know that here and no matter what, it wouldn't be true in every case.

8 minutes ago, KWA said:

Sorry, that appears contradictory to me.

Not at all.  Here's why:  Your child is only truly safe if you're watching him.  The dog lead allows you to look away, so he's less safe.  Therefore, there is no contradiction in my statement.

If you believe that having a child on a leash instead of holding his hand, interacting with him, and otherwise being part of his experience of being out in public is safer and better for building his self confidence than him being on the end of a dog lead of a sort he obviously can see is also used to control dogs, you're entitled to that opinion.  I don't share it, and I think it reflects badly on the parent who would do it. 

When I'm with a child I'm in charge of, a dog lead would be redundant, because I interact with them almost continuously.   Obviously I'm just reacting in accordance with my own attitudes.  YMMV.

I understand that you may have been one of those parents who used these devices, that and maybe my generalizations don't apply to you any more than they apply to all other cases.  It's just my opinion, to which I'm entitled, just like you're entitled to yours.

Edited by Rompho Ray

3 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

I understand that you may have been one of those parents who used these devices, that and maybe my generalizations don't apply to you any more than they apply to all other cases.  It's just my opinion, to which I'm entitled, just like you're entitled to yours.

Not a parent at all, but I was a child once who was put in reins like these.  With my mum having three of us, and maybe also a friend, a cousin or two often in tow, it appears to me the reins would be a good option.  Maybe not perfect for the reasons you  give, but better than the alternative where one child escapes.

5 hours ago, KWA said:

Keeping your kid safe and getting him/her exercise and grow in confidence is no bad thing surely.

I realise there are two views and this article looks at both sides quite well IMO.  A line that caught my eye was "They can give some reassurance, whilst still allowing the child to develop independence but they should not be used as a dragging or a lifting tool."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/9966491/Parenting-dilemma-Should-British-parents-put-their-children-on-leads.html

I must admit I have no issue in having used one for a short period of time.  It was a time when the wee one would not want to be lifted and was exploring everything within a 100 yards and not often looking behind. She was like a whippet and even though I could catch her it was impossible to leave her alone or without some sort of holding device. 

For pure safety it was a necessary evil at times and having one on stopped her from having a particularly nasty accident when she saw mum across the road and rushed out of a shop, I managed to stop her in time and it was only because of the soft binding attached to her back pack. Of course if your child is a sedate soul then no issues and no need for the leash. 

You can not keep your eye on a wee one 100 percent of the time despite trying with all the best intentions.  She is now of an age when she understands the green cross code and is very safety conscious, she is even the first one to put her seat belt on in planes and cars.

I have seen many women in the UK pushing prams, holding groceries and looking after a child, sometimes the safety of the child (if very young and with well oiled feet) may require an extra safety net in the form of a soft leash. , 

Of course if you feel that your kid is like a dog at the end of a leash then maybe you do have a dog.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

A baby in leash and 2 set of ugly fat legs....

Sorry, those are 2 of the things I despice in life. Specially a kid held on leash like a dog.  

What are this parents ? Then again, they holiday in a brothel city and walk their kid around in the middle of prostitutes....

Nothing personal @fon_tok, just the picture.

So anyone who visits Pattaya with their child, or Indeed has a child in Pattaya at all, whether being raised there or visit is a bad parent, it that what you're saying?